“Detailed review of Trippers Carpe Diem in Yangshuo, October 2010”

Trippers Carpe Diem Hostel Yangshuo
Ranked #15 of 410 Yangshuo County B&B and Inns
Asuncion, Paraguay
“Detailed review of Trippers Carpe Diem in Yangshuo, October 2010”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2010

I found the hostel via Hostelworl.com and I decided to go there for the good reviews

1 - TRANSPORT:
The pick up from the airport in Guilin was punctual, the car was in very good conditions and the seat belts worked (not as in other taxis that I took in China); the driver speaks just a few words in English but it was enough, he also drove very carefully and safe. There are two options 260 yuan or the shortest for 290 yuan using the highway.
If you don't want to walk to the town they call a taxi for you and the price is 20 yuan, that's ok because in the town the taxis asked me for more.
2 - STAFF
Excellent and with very good English; Alice and Flower are the best. Tripper and Jenny are running the place really well and trained the people in a good way. One day I woke up late and Flower arrange a tour in five minutes, another day I was working in the internet very late and Alice call me to remember me that the chef was leaving, then she took the dinner to my room. They all really care for your comfort.
3 - FOOD:
In my four days there almost everything was delicious with just two exceptions that I explained below. First I tried the set menu and it was huge and very tasty; if you have a good apetite, go for them; if you are on a diet or do not eat so much ask for the individual dishes.
Both were good the Chinese and the western food; but I suggest to try the Chinese one because as they said in their web, they use good ingredients.
For breakfast I also recommend the Chinese ones; they are tastier and healthier than the western ones with eggs and bacon.
I did not try the drinks (only juices) but I saw a very good selection of beers and others alcoholic drinks.
The bar was clean and it was comfortable, you could also take a seat in the terrace but it was to cool for me, but fine for other guests.
Just one important advice; if you do not like very spicy food ask before because some chinese dishes are very spicy; one day I tried a chicken with peanuts and it was perfect, next day it was too spicy, like Mexican food. The same with spring rolls, one day perfect next day too salty. But just ask them and they will solve everything if there is something that you want.
4 - ROOMS:
At first I stayed in a single room in the first floor. It was spacious; clean; ensuite; and with a practical furniture for you belongings. The hot water was 24/24 but in this room it was warm, not really hot but still ok. The bed a little bit hard but I have to say that compared with the others hostels where I stayed in China it was good.
The last day I stayed in a twin room in the socond floor; it was better than the first one, the water was really hot and it has better natural ligth.
It was October so no need to use the airconditioning, so I can no comment about it.
5 - LOCATION
Definitily better than staying in downtown unless you want to party late at nigth; is a peacefull location and you can still see the farmers with the buffalos working in the fields, the new road improved the access to the hostel. But I am affraid that with the fast development in Yangshuo this peacefull would not be forever, many new constructions are ongoing and someday (I hope in a veeeery long time) the place could be surrounded by other buildings as an extension of Yangshuo.
You can walk to the town or take a taxi, looks easier to go to the town that to came back for the hill.
6 - TOUR DESK
Very efficient and good. I only take the Li River motorized bamboo rafting because I am not a very fit person. But I talked with other guest and they were really happy with the ciclying tours, the climbings with the guide of the hostel ant the tour to the Yulong river. Good references also about the cave tour and mixed reviews about the nigth show in Yangshuo.
7 - MASSAGES
Ask for Xiao Ni, she has magical hands than can recovered your legs after any effort; before Yangshuo I was three weeks between China and Japan with a lot of walking (that I am not use to do) and fligths; so my legs and my knees were just exhausted. I tooked the massages every day and I feellike new.

Finally, I congratulate Tripper and Jenny for this place, they are doing a good job and they are doing well also with the people that work for them. I saw that the staff was well treated and worked in very good conditions; that's definitely different than others places that I have seen in this trip.

Thank you to all of you for this very good days that I hace at Trippers Carpe Diem.

Ramon

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Beijing, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2010

We loved hostel's location outside of Yangshuo, open -air restaurant ( beef lasagne recemmended ) , relaxing music and the atmosphere . Tripper, Jenny and the rest of staff do their best to make Your stay 100% unforgetable. Tripper , thank You again for bamboo basket :-) !!! I love it .

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

What a great place! I can't say enough good things about this hostel. The atmosphere is very relaxed and yet social. Great down tempo music and an excellent outside terraces (gorgeous VIEWS!!). Location: set in small village with chirping birds, humming crickets and beautiful stars. Easy shaded walk along the river right into town (15 min). Or you can take a free shuttle. Its nice to be out of the chaos of town and wake up to delicious coffee and mountain views. Services: Tripper and his staff are ALWAYS available to answer questions, arrange excursions and help out with the daily conundrums of traveling in China.
I traveled here with my parents (who had never stayed in a hostel before) and they were so grateful for the comfortable, clean and quiet rooms. And finally: good Belgium beers! Overall, Trippers hostel was the perfect blend of rural China, the social scene of a friendly hostel and great feng shui.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Wroclaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2010

we really enjoyed our say there in every way... let's say if your looking to be welcome, comfort, good local food, peacefull place, contact with nature and local people, tips as for what to do with special prices, Trippers Carpe Diem is the place to go, you even have a taichi and kung-fu shcool next door :) thanks everybody, bruno and alina

1 Thank otherlifeform
beijing
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2010

the place where the hostel is located is wonderful. fresh air, no noise nor traffic. only a few minutes by bike from the city center yangshuo (1.5 km). There is even a free shuttle bus. The owners are very friendly and always helpful to organize small trips.
the food was great, both chinese and western dishes and the atmosphere on the terrace in this beautiful scenery unforgettable. thanks jenny, wendy and trippers!

Shanghai
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2010

We had a lovely stay at Tripper and Jenny's hostel. They were welcoming and knowledgable hosts and we felt that we were staying with friends rather than in a hostel. The hostel amenities are great...they offer bike rental and can connect you with anything that you want to do in the area (i.e. bamboo rafts, the lights show, etc.). The food is fantastic (and really well priced) and we didn't feel the need to leave to eat elsewhere. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. This is one of the best hostels that we have stayed in and would gladly go again when we next have the opportunity.

Crested Butte, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

My fiance and I booked two days at Tripper's Carpe Diem and extended our stay for an additional five days to explore the region and enjoy the hospitality. It was nothing short of terrific, and I would concur with another guest who had commented that one could be perfectly happy to stay at the bar and enjoy the view and company.
The husband and wife owner/operator duo of Tripper and Jenny are ideal hosts with an intriguing story. Tripper explored China for several years on a motorcycle before settling in Yangshuo and beginning an extensive renovation of the hostel. He had met Jenny, a Chinese national from Hunan province who speaks excellent English, on a previous trip and called on her for help with his endeavor. It wasn't long before they were married, running a business and starting a family--they now have a lovely son and surely more to follow. The renovations are sublime and the facility is the cleanest, best hostel we have experienced. It includes impressive woodwork, western toilets and the thickest mattresses we had slept on during our entire stay. (It is a custom to sleep on thin mattresses in China as the notion pervades that one's back will hunch otherwise...we were thrilled to sleep in comfort and on nice sheets and comforters for the first time in a long time.)
The food, prepared by an excellent Chinese chef, includes a variety of western dishes as well as traditional Chinese cuisine. Best of all, everything is MSG-free. If you have been traveling in China and suffering from headaches or stomachaches, then it is most likely due to MSG, a common ingredient sprinkled liberally on nearly everything, everywhere in China. I had limited my diet to baked goods and fruit to avoid the dizzy, aching side-effects of the seasoning and was very pleased to find food I could eat. Cara, my fiance, ordered the Dragon eggplant at least three times and I myself frequently ordered the Sirloin. Prices were comparable to the food in the main part of town, oftentimes they were less and the food was undeniably better. Also, Tripper has found a supplier of Belgium beers as well as the local beer LiQuan and Tsing Tao. Of note, the local beer is low in alcohol by volume whereas the Belgium beers pack a punch. There is also a full bar and I was quite pleased to help drain a bottle of Jameson during our stay. Also, Tripper has ice cubes in the drinks and the beers are actually cold instead of lukewarm like so many other places. All the same, the atmosphere was not rowdy and drunk, it was appropriately subdued and not too overwhelming to play pool in peace and shoot the breeze with the variety of visitors from all points of the globe. Loud and rowdy bars are at a comfortable distance away on West Street, just a short walk from Tripper's Carpe Diem.
I've blathered on for long enough with my caffeinated praises, but I'd like to add that Jenny was a tremendous help in arranging tours and travel because of her bilingual abilities--no doubt we would not have had the opportunities we enjoyed without her. Of note, she arranged massages for us in the comfort our suite and also arranged transportation accommodations when we stumbled on the language barrier.
I would not hesitate to recommend Tripper's Guest House to anyone interested in traveling to the gorgeous Li River valley.
Best wishes to anyone who might read this!
Jim and Cara Fitzgerald