“Amazing”

Mountain View Retreat
Ranked #81 of 479 Hotels in Yangshuo County
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I went to Yangshuo for 3 days with some of my university friends last week. At first I was a bit hesitant as I have read both good and bad reviews for this hotel. However I really wanted to stay here as it is close to many attractions such as Moon Mountain and the mud baths, and at a reasonable price.

I was really glad that I chose this hotel. The staff are really nice, especially the receptionist Sam who was very warm and nice to us. The other staff are very interesting including a man called Ao Bama (Obama) who actually looks a bit like the president himself. The food was also really nice and the waitresses all are nice and speaks very good English. I feel that the bad reviews of this place is wrong as I have enjoyed a memorable stay here.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank CHRIS S
huo you l, Public Relations Manager at Mountain View Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Chris,

Thanks for such a kind review. We really pride ourselves on the friendliness and welcoming nature of our staff and so we're glad to hear that you had such a pleasant stay.

Best regards and looking forward to seeing you again in Yangshuo,

Ao Li
PR Manager

Reviewed 28 August 2012

I had stayed at the hotel for 3 days. the staff was very friendly and helpful. The food was more than satisfaction even for a foreigner like me. The hotel also has really good views. Love it, definitely going to come back here next time, I visit CHina

2  Thank Lam T
huo you l, Owner at Mountain View Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you sir for your reply. I am really glad that you enjoyed our hospitality and our view of the local mountains. I sincerely welcome you to stay at our hotel again.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

I had stayed at this place for just a few hours but totally were happy with the foods. They provided us with some good foods, especially fish cooked with beer. My cousin order one thing shed never tried before which is chicken cooked in bamboo tube and it turned out to be more than expected. I strongly recommend u guys try them if u have chances to get there.

2  Thank Matt H
huo you l, Owner at Mountain View Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2012

Thank you very much for your review and I am glad you enjoyed your stay and food at our hotel. We sincerely welcome you to stay at our hotel again and we hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

The hotel beside several attractions in Yangshuo, like moon hill, Darongshu etc.But not peaceful enough because it's besides the road. There are no POS? May be it like a rural home inns more than hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank etripchina

Thank you for your reply and I am glad you enjoyed the convenience of our position. I sincerely apologise for the noise of the road as again the roads are supposed to be much quieter as trucks are banned as this is a national nature area, unfortunately this isn't enforced properly. As for POS, we do have POS both at reception and at the bar.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

This hotel is next to the main road crossing big trucks, therefore very noisy. Above this all a 100 men force of Chinese working men having a day out came to have dinner in the restaurant. Producing a lot of noise. The rooms are oke, beds sleep conformable. The overall location is only semi good for a day trip biking along the river, although there are numerous hotels along the river with is more quiete and have a better starting point for the trip. The breakfast is very basic, regular coffee or thee and an egg with toast and jam. No extras. The food in the restaurant is expensive and nothing special. Do no go here is you also want to enjoy a beer and the sunset. The view of this hotel is also highly overrated. Also the day tours offered at te reception desk are overpriced. Other people taking the same tour booked elsewhere ended up paying 30% less.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank Freek25
huo you l, Owner at Mountain View Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

I sincerely apologise for your poor stay at Mountain View Retreat but I feel your review is slightly unfair. Our hotel is next to a main road due to convenience. Officially the government has banned trucks here due to environmental and tourist reasons however it is not enforced properly. I apologise for the dinner last night as it was a government sponsored event because our area is very popular with the view and food. We agreed beforehand with them that the event should close at 9.30pm however they didn't follow that time and ended at 11pm, we couldn't have done anything about this sorry.
Our breakfast to you was free as part of the stay hence the choices were very limited for your price, however we do have a larger choice for paying customers. The restaurant's price is actually typical of Yangshuo as the city is a very touristy area therefore prices are higher than normal. As for the tours, we try to look after our guests by using official tour guides which are safe, legal and with insurance hence their prices are slightly higher. However we do also provide cheaper tours however they tend to be unsafe and illegal hence we tend to not suggest them to customers
Thank you for your review, and I have noted your objections and we will make sure that future stays here will be better accommodated.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Me and my family were extremely happy to have stayed here during our summer holiday. The staffs were very helpful and responsive, the room was also comfortably very large. We also find the food very delicious. Couldn't ask for more for the price.

2  Thank freemon
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I went for a short holiday a month ago with my friends to relax before yet another stressful semester of university studies. And I was more than surprised! Magnificent view, GOOD value for money and hospitality at its best! The staff is really trying to make you feel comfortable and you are experiencing rural China, while enjoying the most of the luxury that this hotel can offer. Definitely recommended. Thank you for such great holiday!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends