“Good location, grotty hotel”

Imperial City Hotel
Ranked #176 of 448 Hotels in Yangshuo County
Ireland
“Good location, grotty hotel”
Reviewed 15 October 2012 via mobile

Great location close to everything but far away from the main tourist street. This hotel needs a complete renovation but like many places in China, they just aren't bothered. Rooms are damp & mouldy from humidity, but I guess that can't be helped, and the bathrooms seem dirty & mildewy too. It's fine if you're on a budget but don't expect much.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Keswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Had problems with damp and mould, a few people changed rooms. Ha issues with doors jamming shut due to damp and when asked at front desk the maintenance man seemed more interested in playing his computer game than he did in helping. Overall found the staff rude and the hotel very disappointing.

• Stayed June 2012

Travellers are raving about these Yangshuo County hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 24 January 2012

I hate to complain about a trip to Beautiful Yangshuo, but I was "had". My wife and I booked the best room in the hotel, based on the official website. Room 1201, the corner room with the best view of the Li River. I know this because #1, my wife stayed up until 3 AM making sure she got the best room for me based on the web page and #2, I kept the key so that I could make an accurate Trip Advisor report. The room on the web site had a beautiful, unobstructed view of the Li River, almost 3 walls of river view. The room in real life had a huge, ugly Western restaurant blocking the view. In addition to being tricked about the view, the room was unbelievably cold and had no hot water. The TV didn't work until I made them change the broken electrical power strip. In a nutshell, the room sucked. I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there. On the bright side, the city of Yangshuo is beautiful and the people are friendly. I had a great time once I left the hotel, warmed up, and talked to the locals. DO go to Yangshuo, avoid Jan and Feb, but DO NOT stay at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Austin, TX
Reviewed 16 January 2012

the hotel manager and his assistant are not honest people. I've spent so much time to talk to them through phone and email. I mentioned I like their website pic view, so I want to book that room. The river is next the hotel. http://www.ysdidu.com/room.asp?id=82
But the reality is the picture on their website is very old. They have built a restaurant in front of the hotel. And restaurant has blocked all views from the hotel balcony. You can see nothing.
But they never told me you can't see views anymore even I mentioned I like their view for many times.
And they don't have hot waters. There are big holes between windows and walls.
Their staff don't speak English well either. Hard to communicate at all.
The room is cold too in Jan. The heater will be off after you leave the room.
We booked the most expensive room in this hotel, #1201 which is located at the corner of the hotel. Not worth it.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
San Jose, California
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We were booked to stay here 2 nights and were given the worst rooms in the hotel - no view of the river and one had a balcony where the staff stored their cleaning supplies and it was accessible by anyone. There was no hot water during the day either. We didn't stay so not sure if hot water was only available during certain hours. Once we indicated we weren't happy with the rooms, other rooms magically became available but they weren't suitable either. We moved on and stayed at the River View Hotel which was much better.

The pictures posted here make the room look decent but that is not the reality.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Not only is Imperial City Hotel right next to a scenic lake overlooking some amazing mountains, but there are plenty of shops, market stalls and places to eat down the road (including KFC!) According to my tour guide, Yangshuo is considered a ‘backpackers paradise’ and it really is.
When I visited in late March, the hotel was freezing cold and they insisted on having ALL of the windows and doors open so I couldn’t escape it. If I wanted to use the free internet by reception (which is a plus) then I’d have to wrap up in layers with gloves and a scarf. The breakfast was ridiculously cheap but not that great to be honest, they have dough balls, eggs and a few other things but I’d go elsewhere to be honest. There is a shop next door but be careful because they don’t mark their prices so one day a bottle of water will be 4 Yuan but the next day it will be 5 Yuan for exactly the same bottle. If you’re foreign then they definitely raise their prices (my Chinese tour guide was given cheaper prices for everything he bought compared to me and my tour group).
The room was fine – good size room with okay beds, TV and a bathroom with a shower. They also have heating but I think mine gave off a weird smell so I didn’t have it on too much.
It was an okay place to stay – the main niggle I have is how cold it was! If I was to go to Yangshuo again I’d probably look up other hotels to be honest, but if you’re on a budget then its fine.

• Stayed March 2011
Switzerland
Reviewed 15 May 2007

The rooms are a little bit old, the bathroom is a bit gloomy, but the location is one of the best in the city, especially if you manage to get corner room, which will have a river, mountains and pretty West Street view at the same time from its balcony. I would stay in this hotel again just for that view.

Otherwise, no problems with facilities or service at the time of the stay.

• Liked — Location and the view from the room
  • Disliked — Light in the bathroom (too gloomy)
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)