“Simple hostel, with great rooftopbar!”

Monkey Jane's Guesthouse
Ranked #6 of 450 Yangshuo County B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This hostel is just simpel, no luxury, no design, not very clean. But the location and the rooftopbar are superb! Within 20 meters you are in the middle of town, with a lot of (touristic) shops, restaurants and bars. I liked Yangshou (town and scenery) most during my trip through China, but it is more touristic than typically China. The hostel is sort of party hostel, so be aware ot that.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 15 May 2013

My motivation here is to provide a genuine account of what to expect, I'm not too sure that some reviews or scores I've seen here are a true reflection, I would also question their authenticity...

Firstly let me start by saying I'm reasonable well travelled and have always used budget accommodation as this is the best place to meet people and get a real sense of what's happening etc. I'm not precious, but I do expect a certain basic level, which shouldn't be too hard to meet.

Monkey Jane's is located up a dirty alley where we had to negotiate building materials and piled rubbish before we found reception - I can see beyond this, so not too worrying.

The lady who dealt with us on reception was not the friendliest person we'd met on our travels in China, however she did process us reasonably quickly. The building is in a very poor state of repair, obvious attempts with a 'lick of paint' had been tried to brighten the place up, however it needs more than this. The room was OK in size but that's where the positives end. There were exposed electrics adjacent to the shower head, two or three of the electrical appliances in the room had exposed copper and were held together with black tape, this is an accident waiting to happen. The bedding was clean but it did stay damp, I think there's a serious ventilation issue in the building because of it's location - A/C and / or an open window couldn't resolve this issue.

The advertised 'roof top' garden didn't live up to it's billing - In reality it's an area on the roof where there's a small bar and some random seating, the view is OK if you lift your head above the parapet, it's more a smoking area than roof garden...

My review gets one star because of the atmosphere an fun we observed whilst enjoying a beer up there watching the 'beer pong'

Whilst I accept we only paid @ £9 per night, (90 RNB/Yuan) there's comparably priced accommodation which is better located and of a much higher standard.

I would recommend Monkey Jane’s to view the Beer Pong, but that's it - It really isn't ideal for anything other than emergency accommodation if you can't find anything else, I certainly wouldn't recommend a stay unless it undergoes substantial improvements.

Trip Advisor is only useful if a fair and honest account is given, we rely heavily on it when making decisions with our travels, we're of the opinion false reviews have been placed and we want to avoid anyone being duped in to booking when there's much better options elsewhere in Yangshou.

If you want a clean, serviceable room and a good nights sleep in a dry bed then this place isn't for you.

If you're permanently stoned or drunk, like sleeping with the beat of music until 3am, and want to run the risk of being electrocuted then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Staying at Monkey Janes is quite the experience. I should begin this review by saying that I am 53 years old. I was traveling with my son who is studying in Beijing. I mention my age because I was twice as old as nearly everyone staying at Monkey Janes. Jane’s guesthouse is designed for backpackers. Most people stay in bunkrooms but Jane has quite a few private rooms as well. Our room was a 2-bed room with a private bathroom. The accommodations are Spartan but that is not the reason you would stay at Jane’s. Our room had a noisy AC unit, the mosquito net fell down the first night, mildew on the walls, and the floors were always damp. Having said that, we had a great time. The location is great, there is always interesting conversation in the “lobby”, and the rooftop bar has spectacular views at night. The rooftop bar is rocking most of the night so I would recommend ear plugs for sleeping. I would highly recommend Monkey Jane’s if you are young, or just looking for that “backpacker experience”. Jane is a true character. Meeting her is worth the visit.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank DeltaAtlanta
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I wouldn't recommend any one to stay in this hostel,
bed linen are damp....("wet" would be the appropriate word). It is impossible to have our clothes dry and after one night, all our clothes started to have a musky smell (like the entire room).

The lady running this hostel is one of the rudest person I've ever dealt with. She also sold us an organized all included trip to the rice terraces....and arrived there, the guide ask us to pay 60 Yuan more for an extra bus (which you are obliged to take if you want to come back in time for the way back to the hotel). She would do anything to get money from you, so I wouldn't recommend any one to stay there or even book any organized tour with them. (we paid 40 Yuan each for 5 of us in 4 beds.... you can easily find a dry and more welcoming place for 50 Yuan depending of the season.

The only positive point is the bar where we had so much fun with very friendly people.

Room Tip: No good rooms as we were told we weren't in the worse building...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2013

If you are looking to stay in the nicest hotel in Yangshuo, then Monkey Jane's is probably not for you. Not that there is anything wrong with the place besides being a bit shabby. But this hotel really excels if you believe that travelling is about the people that you meet, rather than the places to go.

On our first day, one of the barstaff asked us how long we intended to stay. 3 nights we replied. "That's what they all say". This began a week long love affair with this hostel and everyone we met there. Within 2 nights we felt like family, and struggled to leave. Each night that we decided was our last was met with another 6am finish at the bar, playing beer pong, dancing to Manu Chao, and helping ourselves to another TsingTao.

Outside of nightime antics,The location of the hostel is pretty good, and they organise a lot of trips for anyone who can do a better job than us of actually making the most of your stay. But for me, the beds were the most comfortable of any I have ever slept in (room 304), the rooftop always has someone around to chat to or a movie to stick on through the day (Kung Fu Panda seemed much more authentic in Chinese), and the beer is cheap and plentiful, so I was happy to hang out indoors most of the time.

I could not recommend this hostel more highly. We never did get to meet Jane, but I refuse to believe she could have done a better job of making us feel welcome, and giving us our hands down highlight of China.

Room Tip: 304. Sunny, comfy beds, a few flights below the rooftop for nighttime noise. A few flights above the...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

The room and service were terrible but the rooftop bar makes it a memorable stay. The dorm room was very damp and dirty (bedding felt damp). The staff were either unenthusiastic or stoned. Crazy crazy place living off the rep of the rooftop bar. Would reccomend a visit to the bar only, do not stay in the hostel. Luckily we only stayed one night!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I stayed here on the 23rd of March 2013, the dorm rooms are dirty with mouldy walls. One of the beds in the dorm had bed bugs crawling all over it. I asked for a refund but the staff seemed too stoned to care. Avoid!

• Stayed: March 2013