“Terrible accommodation but great rooftop bar”

and 1 more site!
Monkey Jane's Guesthouse
Ranked #5 of 414 Yangshuo County B&B and Inns
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Terrible accommodation but great rooftop bar”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The room I had was disgusting. I stayed in a double bunk room on my own. The bottom bunk was very dirty so I took the top bunk, but there was water droplets on the ceiling right above me. Lots of damp in the room. Luckily I didn't get wet. The floor was like kitchen tiling and again, dirty. This room looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a very long time. The only plus point would be that the fan was very powerful and therefore kept the temperature comfortable during the night. I think I got the worst room in the place so I would recommend staying there, just not in the room I had. Right next to the bathroom. Oh, we also had a power cut due to the fuse box outside the hostel catching fire so I had to shower in the dark after a long day out cycling. The rooftop bar is awesome though. Really good backpacker vibe and cheap booze. :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Recommended by a famous travel book, this hostel turned out to show how these prominent travel books could spoil a place. Mold everywhere, indifferent attitude, obsolete decoration, shabby condition, weak shower, extremely noisy and poor internet connection. I almost couldn't think of any positives about this hostel, perhaps some would prefer to have a joint-smoking bar on the top of your room? Not that much for me.

It was absolutely annoying when a group of tipsy party guys came down at 2am and knocked your door. The staff didn't seem to even give a damn on it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Beijing, China
Reviewed 3 August 2013

we booked for four nights at this hostel due to our friends recommendation.

the room want that cheap and it smelt like someone had died in it. there were electric cables hanging everywhere and the walls had fungus growing all over them. the bed was comfy but the sheets were damp and the airconditioning was set at freezing and you had no control over it so it was the antarctic or the sahara.

we left after one night however due to the apparent problem of bed bugs NO HOTELS WILL TAKE US. they are all fed up with the hostel not doing anything about it. the people are unfriendly. the roof top bar is nice however that is about it. save your money time and give the bed bugs somethuing else to eat. stay well clear.

Room Tip: go elsewhere
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 31 May 2013

This hostel is just simpel, no luxury, no design, not very clean. But the location and the rooftopbar are superb! Within 20 meters you are in the middle of town, with a lot of (touristic) shops, restaurants and bars. I liked Yangshou (town and scenery) most during my trip through China, but it is more touristic than typically China. The hostel is sort of party hostel, so be aware ot that.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2013

My motivation here is to provide a genuine account of what to expect, I'm not too sure that some reviews or scores I've seen here are a true reflection, I would also question their authenticity...

Firstly let me start by saying I'm reasonable well travelled and have always used budget accommodation as this is the best place to meet people and get a real sense of what's happening etc. I'm not precious, but I do expect a certain basic level, which shouldn't be too hard to meet.

Monkey Jane's is located up a dirty alley where we had to negotiate building materials and piled rubbish before we found reception - I can see beyond this, so not too worrying.

The lady who dealt with us on reception was not the friendliest person we'd met on our travels in China, however she did process us reasonably quickly. The building is in a very poor state of repair, obvious attempts with a 'lick of paint' had been tried to brighten the place up, however it needs more than this. The room was OK in size but that's where the positives end. There were exposed electrics adjacent to the shower head, two or three of the electrical appliances in the room had exposed copper and were held together with black tape, this is an accident waiting to happen. The bedding was clean but it did stay damp, I think there's a serious ventilation issue in the building because of it's location - A/C and / or an open window couldn't resolve this issue.

The advertised 'roof top' garden didn't live up to it's billing - In reality it's an area on the roof where there's a small bar and some random seating, the view is OK if you lift your head above the parapet, it's more a smoking area than roof garden...

My review gets one star because of the atmosphere an fun we observed whilst enjoying a beer up there watching the 'beer pong'

Whilst I accept we only paid @ £9 per night, (90 RNB/Yuan) there's comparably priced accommodation which is better located and of a much higher standard.

I would recommend Monkey Jane’s to view the Beer Pong, but that's it - It really isn't ideal for anything other than emergency accommodation if you can't find anything else, I certainly wouldn't recommend a stay unless it undergoes substantial improvements.

Trip Advisor is only useful if a fair and honest account is given, we rely heavily on it when making decisions with our travels, we're of the opinion false reviews have been placed and we want to avoid anyone being duped in to booking when there's much better options elsewhere in Yangshou.

If you want a clean, serviceable room and a good nights sleep in a dry bed then this place isn't for you.

If you're permanently stoned or drunk, like sleeping with the beat of music until 3am, and want to run the risk of being electrocuted then this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Atlanta
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Staying at Monkey Janes is quite the experience. I should begin this review by saying that I am 53 years old. I was traveling with my son who is studying in Beijing. I mention my age because I was twice as old as nearly everyone staying at Monkey Janes. Jane’s guesthouse is designed for backpackers. Most people stay in bunkrooms but Jane has quite a few private rooms as well. Our room was a 2-bed room with a private bathroom. The accommodations are Spartan but that is not the reason you would stay at Jane’s. Our room had a noisy AC unit, the mosquito net fell down the first night, mildew on the walls, and the floors were always damp. Having said that, we had a great time. The location is great, there is always interesting conversation in the “lobby”, and the rooftop bar has spectacular views at night. The rooftop bar is rocking most of the night so I would recommend ear plugs for sleeping. I would highly recommend Monkey Jane’s if you are young, or just looking for that “backpacker experience”. Jane is a true character. Meeting her is worth the visit.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank DeltaAtlanta
Limoges, France
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I wouldn't recommend any one to stay in this hostel,
bed linen are damp....("wet" would be the appropriate word). It is impossible to have our clothes dry and after one night, all our clothes started to have a musky smell (like the entire room).

The lady running this hostel is one of the rudest person I've ever dealt with. She also sold us an organized all included trip to the rice terraces....and arrived there, the guide ask us to pay 60 Yuan more for an extra bus (which you are obliged to take if you want to come back in time for the way back to the hotel). She would do anything to get money from you, so I wouldn't recommend any one to stay there or even book any organized tour with them. (we paid 40 Yuan each for 5 of us in 4 beds.... you can easily find a dry and more welcoming place for 50 Yuan depending of the season.

The only positive point is the bar where we had so much fun with very friendly people.

Room Tip: No good rooms as we were told we weren't in the worse building...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends