“Cheap but cheerful”

Monkey Jane's Guesthouse
Ranked #6 of 441 Yangshuo County B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 February 2014

To be honest, if I went back to Yangshuo I wouldn't stay here. Myself and three friends arrived here early in the morning, we checked into our room with great difficulty.

First of all, the members of staff tried to tell us that our visas were out of date. They clearly weren't. When we arrived in our room one of the bunks was covered in vomit. When we asked if it would be cleaned we were told that we would have to wait until the next day because the cleaners had gone home. I had the luck of getting to sleep in the bunk above the 'vom-bed' luckily it didn't smell TOO bad.

The rooms were damp and covered in mould aswell but the staff offered free accomodation to anyone who would paint over it. So our mouldy walls were at least covered in lovely hippy murals.

The hostel is £3 a night, it's a room to stay in and we barely spent any time there. Not even in the much acclaimed rooftop bar. You get what you pay for really.

On the plus side, we had trouble booking a bus home and the staff were nothing but helpful. They phoned around so many bus companies for us and always took care to ask us how our days had been.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 December 2013

A great backpacker's atmosphere. Loved the terrace on top of the hostel, with a lot of beer pong :)! The owner, Jane, was great as well! I recommend this hostel. They also do some nice tours. The location of the hostel is pretty good as well, right in the center of Yangshuo.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Melissa-Markesteijn
Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed the location, price, & rooftop view. But the room was mildewy & stank. This was a common experience according to others staying there at the same time as I did.

Staff was nothing special. I think the people that really enjoy monkey jane's get a lot out of the tour packages & activities available there. But I would never stay again; there are about 100 other options.

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed 9 October 2013

So much fun staying here. The central spot for this small beautiful village. Has beer pong, poker, family meals and all the staff are wonderful. It is so cheap too, like £2 a night. Incredible! The only place to stay in Yang Shoa

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The room I had was disgusting. I stayed in a double bunk room on my own. The bottom bunk was very dirty so I took the top bunk, but there was water droplets on the ceiling right above me. Lots of damp in the room. Luckily I didn't get wet. The floor was like kitchen tiling and again, dirty. This room looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a very long time. The only plus point would be that the fan was very powerful and therefore kept the temperature comfortable during the night. I think I got the worst room in the place so I would recommend staying there, just not in the room I had. Right next to the bathroom. Oh, we also had a power cut due to the fuse box outside the hostel catching fire so I had to shower in the dark after a long day out cycling. The rooftop bar is awesome though. Really good backpacker vibe and cheap booze. :)

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Recommended by a famous travel book, this hostel turned out to show how these prominent travel books could spoil a place. Mold everywhere, indifferent attitude, obsolete decoration, shabby condition, weak shower, extremely noisy and poor internet connection. I almost couldn't think of any positives about this hostel, perhaps some would prefer to have a joint-smoking bar on the top of your room? Not that much for me.

It was absolutely annoying when a group of tipsy party guys came down at 2am and knocked your door. The staff didn't seem to even give a damn on it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2013

we booked for four nights at this hostel due to our friends recommendation.

the room want that cheap and it smelt like someone had died in it. there were electric cables hanging everywhere and the walls had fungus growing all over them. the bed was comfy but the sheets were damp and the airconditioning was set at freezing and you had no control over it so it was the antarctic or the sahara.

we left after one night however due to the apparent problem of bed bugs NO HOTELS WILL TAKE US. they are all fed up with the hostel not doing anything about it. the people are unfriendly. the roof top bar is nice however that is about it. save your money time and give the bed bugs somethuing else to eat. stay well clear.

Room Tip: go elsewhere