My husband and I stayed at the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat in April 2012 for 3 nights. I don't see how it could have been a better experience and it was one of my favorite parts of our trip to China.
Location: It is about a 1 hour 15 minute cab ride from the Guilin airport. The hotel arranged for cabs to pick us up and drop us off for 300 RMB each way paid directly to the driver. The drive to the retreat is so scenic. The hotel is situated a little ways away from the center of town, but is one of the reasons I loved it so much. The views of the river, the karst peaks and tranquil environment were like an oasis.
Rooms: We were in room 201A - on the 2nd floor, corner room. We had a large spacious balcony with beautiful views of the river and mountains. The a/c unit works great. I did read reviews that had concerns about the bathrooms - you just need to be aware that this is an eco-friendly hotel (e.g. no toilet paper in the toilet, always in the bucket because of their natural septic tank) and that is a very humid environment.
Rates: We were able to book their nicest room for a couple for equivialent of $75 USD per day. Paid through paypal - - very easy.
Food: My favorite meals of our entire trip were at the restaurant in the hotel! Breakfast was around $6 per person I think - it included fresh juice (either watermelon, orange or pineapple) plus either tea or coffee and then a 3 course meal. I usually choose the omelette with 2 fillings + french toast + fresh fruit (dragon fruit + watermelon + pineapple + asian pear). We had dinner every night at the hotel as well and you can either sit inside or outside facing the river. Our favorite dinner cost the quivalent of $35USD. 3 alcoholic drinks (really nice selection of beer) + pot of ginger tea for me + 2 appetizers (spring rolls were great) + gung pao chicken (my favorite dish there) and + pineapply chicken (my husbands favorite - either that or the beef dish). AND we had the crispy banana with ice cream for dessert. It was absolutely amazing and so reasonable!
Customer Service/Staff: The staff could not have been more friendly. The owners of the hotel are American and hired many people from the surrounding villages. From Angel, Bin Bin and Little Fish -- they grab a piece of your heart as soon as you walk through the door.
I wish we had spent more time here and definitely want to return some day! We had an absolutely amazing experience!
I'll include a note about excursions in my trip report.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Yangshuo Mountain Retreat overlooks the pristine Yulong River and surrounding karst limestone towers in the heart of the Yangshuo countryside. We are one hour from Guilin, just down the road from Impression Liu San Jie and a quick ride to West Street. We are American owned and locally run, established in 2000. Our accommodation, food and staff, not to mention our beautiful surroundings are highly rated by Frommers and other trusted guides. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your Yangshuo Mountain Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yangshuo Mountain Retreat Hotel Yangshuo County
- Yangshuo Mountain Retreat County
- Yangshuo Mountain Retreat Hotel County