“A little piece of heaven”

and 1 more site!
Yangshuo Mountain Retreat
Ranked #3 of 483 Hotels in Yangshuo County
Reviewed 23 August 2008

The setting is pristine, the views unparalleled and the staff eager and ready to please. We traveled with my 72 year old mom and my 12 year old daughter to this beautiful mountain retreat. The rooms are comfortable and some have excellent views of the river. There is A/C and hot water and a good mix of western and Chinese foods - a real bonus when traveling with kids and other picky eaters! The staff are very helpful in arranging activities - we took a bike ride to Dragon Bridge and then a bamboo raft ride back, which was delightful. We also went balooning - not to be missed! and to the light show in Yangshao, another highlight of our entire trip to China. This is one place to which I would definitely return!

• Stayed: August 2008
3  Thank Schon
Write a ReviewReviews (1,135)

Reviewed 18 August 2008

We were very impressed with the Retreat. We divided our stay between the Li River Retreat and the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat, and both were excellent. We enjoyed the access to swimming and boating at YMR, and the serenity of LRR.

However, the service at YMR was a cut above. I especially need to remark on the perserverence and generosity of Chun Li in obtaining coveted train tickets out on the exact train we needed. In addition to being indefatigible and sunny, she really went beyond the call of duty in tracking down the best tickets.

Thanks Chun Li, Annie, Chris, Little Fish and the rest of the staff at the Retreat!

Nick

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank NickDeeSanFrancisco
Reviewed 16 August 2008

The hotel was excellent at booking local activities and cooking local food. Sadly, while staying at this wonderful hotel I became very ill and required hospitalization. Luckily, the hotel is full of fluent English speakers and they got me to a hospital ASAP. Many Chinese hospitals don't feed you, so they sent me food. Bing-bing, one of the waitresses even came to visit me. They arranged a medical translator for me and even gave my friends lodging once our stay ended, so that they wouldn't have to leave me.

The Yangshuo Mountain Retreat family truly is a family, and their kindness will always be remembered. I fully recommend this place! And definitely do the rock-climbing if you go!!!

Daniel (大力)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank dart147
Reviewed 26 July 2008

I was so glad that I stayed at this place and not in town. I had expected Yangshuo town to be a tranquil backpacker place, but it is rather packed and loud. Staying at the Mountain Retreat was just the perfect base to explore the area. I rented one of their bikes and went up the river to Yulong Bridge (the bridge is unimpressive, but the bike ride through the rice paddies beautiful), half the way back on a bamboo raft, biked to Moon Hill (the big street is full of trucks and diesel fumes), went on a hot air balloon ride (800 Yuan), saw the Liu Sanjie performance... was great. In the hotel itself I had an upper floor superior room for 450 Yuan, which was worth it. Just sitting there on the balcony and watching the endless parade of bamboo rafts go by was priceless. The staff there is super-nice and helped to arrange all side trips. The food was good. I liked the attitude of the place, to buy from local farmers, support close communities, use sustainable methods to run the hotel. The bathroom is OK, with a curtain between the toilet and the shower, which is just splashing into the middle of the room (no separate tub)... but it was fine for me. I would highly recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank fun4oli
Reviewed 13 July 2008

From my fist contacts with the YSMR through its website,I found that these people were going out of their way to make your stay in their hotel a maximum pleasure experience. And it was. The setting is unique. We rented bikes from the YSMR, received excellent detailed written touring instructions, reservations and transport was arranged to the lightsshow, and a private excurtion was aranged to the Longji rice terraces. The room was good with very cold airconditioning (it was very hot outside). The food was good, the people were so sweet and helpful and reliable. Again highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2008
2  Thank JCvD
Reviewed 23 June 2008

We stayed at the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat for three nights in late May 2008. The views from the hotel of the Yulong River are absolutely breathtaking -- makes you feel that you are looking at a scene from 500 years ago, with the peaks and the fields in the background and bamboo rafts gliding by all day.

We had the hotel book a hot air balloon flight over Yangshuo, and it was the highlight of our whole trip to China -- stupendous scenery, and the balloon outfit they used was absolutely professional and confidence-inspiring. They took us way up in the sky, above the peaks, and then brought us down into the valleys twice during the hourlong flight -- we got to sail along 50 feet above people working in the rice paddies -- pure magic. In the photo I took in-flight, the hotel is located at center left, where the river bends close to the road.

The hotel is basic but comfortable, and the food is worthwhile. This is truly a unique location in the world -- see it while Yangshuo is still an out-of-the-way locale, before it gets ruined by giant chain hotels.

• Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank NYWorldtrekker
Reviewed 4 June 2008

My husband and I recently stayed here in May and would highly recommend it. At about $50 US dollars, this is bargin. The retreat is nestled among the karst peaks and the river is right in front of you. It's about a 15 minute car ride from downtown Yangshuo.The retreat has a rustic, cabin feel to it. I agree with other reviewers that the bathrooms could be better, but they were clean and tolerable.

The only disappointing thing about the retreat was the bikes they had for rent. We had called ahead of time to make sure they had good bikes, and they had ensured us that they had the good ones. However, we ended up with older mountain bikes with unfortable seats. You'll need to rent bikes in downtown if you want to do some more serious biking.

We ate at the restaurant one evening and enjoyed the food there. They have a mix of Chinese and Western items on their menu. The hot and sour soup was excellent if you like spicy food.

• Stayed: May 2008