“We stayed here 3 years ago and think of it often”

Yangshuo Mountain Retreat
Ranked #3 of 449 Hotels in Yangshuo County
San Antonio, Texas
“We stayed here 3 years ago and think of it often”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I visited China to visit my daughter who was a student volunteer teaching English in a large city. She had visited Yangshou before and she wanted to show her sister and myself the beautiful countryside. Beautiful it was!!! A member of the hotel staff picked us up at the airport in Guilin and took us straight to Yangshou. The drive was beautiful. We loved the hotel, the countryside, the town. We fell in love with Angel and learned more of her incredible story after we returned to the US. The girls and I didn't mind taking the cab to town. It wasn't that far. Many times we ate in town and many times we ate at the hotel. The hotel food was very good and presented nicely. The staff took us anywhere we needed to go. We did the river rafts one day, the girls did cave tours, rode bikes and I did a lot of walking through the countryside. Our room was terrific!! We decided to stay additional days and stay here rather than go back to Guilin. We upgraded to a larger room. Our views were beautiful. I can't seem to say enough nice things. The driver took us to town to see the light show one night. Coming out of the show later, we got lost and he found us and took us home. We were so appreciative. We had to leave early in the morning to go back to Guilin to catch our plane. I mean very early everything was dark and shut down but there he was. I was so relieved. Wonderful wonderful place!! Truly amazing. Thank you so much and sorry for the long overdue review. Like I said, it was three years ago this August that we were there and I think of it often with very fond memories.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 823Raerae

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Beijing, China
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Don't get me wrong, if you, planning your next vacation, are looking for a tourist trap then look no further. What do I mean? I mean if you're just planning on laying around and eating overpriced hamburgers and pizza and terribly made Chinese food while taking in one great riverside view then this is the place for you.
Disclaimer: If I went to Yangshuo to do that and play on wifi and relax, then I would recommend this hotel, except for the fact it's an awful below average tourist trap.

The view from the hotel is great, not breathtaking. Your air conditioner might break down but the building itself is clean nice and inviting. But guess what, my friend, the view there is average for such an amazing place as Guilin and Yangshuo. The sheer number of beautiful green and rocky mountains is endless and superb. You have no reason to spend more money to come here, coming will limit how much you can see and you will have no idea how much you missed.

So like I said, if you want a lazy getaway, look no further. If you actually want to experience Yangshuo, let me explain why you should get a hotel closer to the city:
- As an incredibly rural area, don't expect to find a way to leave the hotel without having to pay 450 Rmb or some other ridiculous over the top price to the hotel to get one of their friends to drive you in a run down pathetic vehicle.
- The food there offers nothing to Yangshuo or Guangxi culture, you might think- big deal- except for the fact you'll find no other place to buy food in sight and every meal is not only very overpriced but small in quantity and several items made absolutely terribly.
- the hotel boasts being a "family" you might notice the staff there so underpaid you'll see them eat nothing more than one ear of corn and plain, white rice
- don't provide any free water bottles on check in which is absolutely ridiculous in China seeing as you can't drink the tap water. They're nice enough to give you a thermos which you can take to the lobby to fill with warm water. Great service... Not.
- if you want to spend your vacation walking to points of interest under the hot sun, this place is great, I recommend getting a hotel in the city where it's much much much easier to get transportation to where you want to go. This way you'll have a lot more time to enjoy the sights and some actual genuine food, many options of it too! Unlike this trap, you'll see a huge variety of eating and shopping options
- I personally found the staff to be timid, not kind or outgoing, and all with terrible English. All my conversations ended in me switching to Chinese
- found other aspects to be a joke: they put up tons of signs saying don't flush toilet paper it'll mess up their septic tank, but if you walk to the edge of the property by the water you can definitely smell where I suppose their "septic tank" empties out into the river. They boast having furniture from highly sustainable trees (candy for non education environmentalists) Their furniture is a joke, all the chairs must be at least 200 pounds- good luck scooting over next to your family if you're not a weight lifter
- again, I can't stress this enough, don't get trapped here because they say it has a good view. Everywhere in Yangshuo, except the bottom of a squat toilet, is a good view

Tldr version: not worth it at all, better in city, hotel is a joke

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Erich L
Charlottetown, Canada
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay at this resort. It is just by the river, overlooking the mountains. It is very restful, nice rooms, nice food and nice staff. Wish we could have stayed longer.

2 Thank colleens941
cardiff
Reviewed 23 June 2014

After 12 days of intense sight seeing in Beijing, Xi'an, Chengdu and Guilin this hotel was the perfect place to relax for a few days before the long hall home.
While our guide checked us in we were given a welcome drink and cookies before being escorted to our room where our luggage was waiting.The room was extremely spacious, clean and beautifully furnished with locally made bamboo furniture. The whole width of the room was taken up by a picture window and door to the furnished balcony with stunning views of the mountains and river. Airconditioning is available in the bedroom and the bathroom, and a mini bar is also provided; neither of which I was sure we would get at an eco hotel. The only improvement that could be made would be softer or thicker matresses on the beds.
The entire hotel was spotlessly clean including the kitchen, which I saw when a member of staff forgot to close the door behind her as she entered.
Most of the staff speak at least some English, and several are almost fluent. This was much appreciated as I speak no Mandarin other than to say hello and thank you.
Meals can be eaten by the river or in the air conditioned restaurant. I have read some reviews that critise the food, but quite honestly there was plenty of choice of both western and Chinese options throughout the day. Everything that we ordered was well prepared and the service from the waitresses was faultless. If you want haute cuisine then I suggest that perhaps you should select a five star chain hotel that you could get anywhere in the world.
If you want to visit West Street to do some shopping or eat out, then a taxi will cost around 40-50 RMB and can be booked at reception. For the more adventurous a trip to Xingping on market day is quite an experience if all that you have seen so far are cities; though I strongly suggest that you avoid the public toilets at the bus station unless you really cannot wait!
If you want to swim then the river is safe, as the eco credentials of the hotel do not allow for a swimming pool.
Would I recommend this hotel? Most definitely.
Would I return? In a heartbeat

Room Tip: Any second floor room with a river view will be perfect.
3 Thank nemoCardiff
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

The view from the dining tables in the garden was stunning, as all the other reviewers have mentioned. The eco credentials were also impressive. A swimming pool would have been great especially as we visited in June when the weather is hot and humid. Watching couples rafting down the river was no substitiute.
I was disappointed by the bedroom which was dark and gloomy, the bed was a little hard and the a/c was situated right above the bed which meant I was either freezing or too hot. Our private terrace, though, almost made up for these short-comings, although more comfortable chairs would have been welcome. I have to admit that I'm an older traveller so I like my comforts these days - probably not a necessity for everyone who passes by.
Overall, good value for money but with reservations about comfort.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank greenbeeinshanghai
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Wonderful experience, room was very nice, loved the large balcony looking out to the river and mountains. Very peaceful. Go now before the area is spoiled with more hotels, resorts in the area. Eco friendly was a nice surprise. Loved the food, dinner and breakfast. Beautiful items made by locals for sale in the lobby. Extremely accommodating staff, who carried all our luggage from the road down to the hotel.
Great break from the busy bigger cities. It was great to have a real queen size bed and a full size bed!

Room Tip: Facing the river is wonderful!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank jerri l
Lummen, Belgium
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I suppose there are really no better locayions to find. What A View! When arriving by boat Yanshuo seemed so crowded and busy, but once in the Mountain Retreat it was all peace and quiet.
Nice Room, eco friendly touch. The food was good, though not excellent, but at great prices. I did miss a swimming pool a bit, an infinity pool with this view would be amazing, but maybe that wouldn't be so eco friendly ;)
The bicycling was fun, although the bikes were a bit run down and the map from the area wasn't very correct, so we got lost, but still had a nice time.

Some little points about eating at Luna, the food was good, but could be better if you claim to be a real Italian restaurant, pe the 'Melanzana alla parmegiana' wasn't tasting really fresh (actually it tasted like there was a basil pesto from a jar in it). Also the view isn't that good, sure you have the mountains, but in front of that a lot of brick-and-cement buildings. But my advice: put Luna in the scenary of the Mountain Retreat ;)

Room Tip: Take a room with a good view!
1 Thank Kim G