Yangshuo Mountain Retreat
Yangshuo Tea Cozy(Yangshuo County)
US$124
Yangshuo Dongling Resort(Yangshuo County)
US$81
US$60
Moondance Boutique Resort(Yangshuo County)
US$143
Travelocity
US$88
US$80
Agoda.com
Yangshuo Village Retreat(Yangshuo County)
US$65
US$54
Trip.com
Yangshuo Moon Resort(Yangshuo County)(Great Value!)
US$32
US$110
US$106
Orbitz.com
1,163 results
All reviewsmountain retreatthe riverkarst mountainsbamboo furniturebeautiful locationbamboo raftsister hotelwelcome drinkthe dragonginger teabike ridelight showmain buildingfree shuttlefamily roomstayed longerchina trip
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I read the previous review last week while at the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat and was quite mystified. My partner and I recognise little or none of it. Other guests we talked to there we also very satisifed. We have had a lovely few days here and would heartily recommend it to anyone who appreciates a relaxed hotel away from the cities. We had been in Beijing, Xi'an and Guilin for over a week and coming here was like a deep breath of (very hot and humid) fresh air. Our room was delightful and well appointed, with a generous balcony overlooking the Yulong river as most if not all of the rooms have. The view across into the hills is splendid and the impression of being away from it all is only broken by the procession of rafts carrying tourists that quietly drift past all day long.

The staff are all local and speak reasonable English and are very friendly and helpful. The restaurant is very good and provides good local cooking and western options if you want them. We were recommended the Beer Fish for dinner as a local specialty and enjoyed it very much. The hotel has a free shuttle-bus into Yangshuo and can arrange transport elsewhere. We were happy to walk and explore around the area and the nearly villages and dangle our feet in the river. They provide a local map to help with walking and it is well worth going over the river to get an idea of rural life. If you enjoy the wildlife we saw all sorts of interesting butterflies and birds -including a kingfisher while eating breakfast.

If there are issues I thought the bed was rather hard although we didn't agree about that. As I say, very happy to recommend the Retreat. If you want a Western hotel with an attached Starbucks stay away.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 622oliverk
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was a wonderful place to stay with one of the best views of the river i saw in the area. It is out of town, so if you want to be in the city with close access to their many restaurants, than this may not be the place for you. The rooms were awesome and clean with great views if you have a river view room. The staff was friendly, caring and tried to make sure you had a great time. They went out of their way to explain different things to do and how to get places. I did not speak Chinese and I thought their English was enough to help us with all our needs. Being able to eat by the river was awesome. I am sure you may be able to get better, cheaper, more authentic food in town, which is just a taxi cab away ( or a free shuttle), but we just enjoyed the river view so much we preferred to stay there. The food was just fine for us. It is a place for tourists as there were 100's of bamboo rafts floating down the river each day, which is to be expected when you are in a tourist town. If I came back to Yangshou, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Carol2003PortOrchard
Reviewed 2 August 2014

I visited China to visit my daughter who was a student volunteer teaching English in a large city. She had visited Yangshou before and she wanted to show her sister and myself the beautiful countryside. Beautiful it was!!! A member of the hotel staff picked us up at the airport in Guilin and took us straight to Yangshou. The drive was beautiful. We loved the hotel, the countryside, the town. We fell in love with Angel and learned more of her incredible story after we returned to the US. The girls and I didn't mind taking the cab to town. It wasn't that far. Many times we ate in town and many times we ate at the hotel. The hotel food was very good and presented nicely. The staff took us anywhere we needed to go. We did the river rafts one day, the girls did cave tours, rode bikes and I did a lot of walking through the countryside. Our room was terrific!! We decided to stay additional days and stay here rather than go back to Guilin. We upgraded to a larger room. Our views were beautiful. I can't seem to say enough nice things. The driver took us to town to see the light show one night. Coming out of the show later, we got lost and he found us and took us home. We were so appreciative. We had to leave early in the morning to go back to Guilin to catch our plane. I mean very early everything was dark and shut down but there he was. I was so relieved. Wonderful wonderful place!! Truly amazing. Thank you so much and sorry for the long overdue review. Like I said, it was three years ago this August that we were there and I think of it often with very fond memories.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 823Raerae
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Don't get me wrong, if you, planning your next vacation, are looking for a tourist trap then look no further. What do I mean? I mean if you're just planning on laying around and eating overpriced hamburgers and pizza and terribly made Chinese food while taking in one great riverside view then this is the place for you.
Disclaimer: If I went to Yangshuo to do that and play on wifi and relax, then I would recommend this hotel, except for the fact it's an awful below average tourist trap.

The view from the hotel is great, not breathtaking. Your air conditioner might break down but the building itself is clean nice and inviting. But guess what, my friend, the view there is average for such an amazing place as Guilin and Yangshuo. The sheer number of beautiful green and rocky mountains is endless and superb. You have no reason to spend more money to come here, coming will limit how much you can see and you will have no idea how much you missed.

So like I said, if you want a lazy getaway, look no further. If you actually want to experience Yangshuo, let me explain why you should get a hotel closer to the city:
- As an incredibly rural area, don't expect to find a way to leave the hotel without having to pay 450 Rmb or some other ridiculous over the top price to the hotel to get one of their friends to drive you in a run down pathetic vehicle.
- The food there offers nothing to Yangshuo or Guangxi culture, you might think- big deal- except for the fact you'll find no other place to buy food in sight and every meal is not only very overpriced but small in quantity and several items made absolutely terribly.
- the hotel boasts being a "family" you might notice the staff there so underpaid you'll see them eat nothing more than one ear of corn and plain, white rice
- don't provide any free water bottles on check in which is absolutely ridiculous in China seeing as you can't drink the tap water. They're nice enough to give you a thermos which you can take to the lobby to fill with warm water. Great service... Not.
- if you want to spend your vacation walking to points of interest under the hot sun, this place is great, I recommend getting a hotel in the city where it's much much much easier to get transportation to where you want to go. This way you'll have a lot more time to enjoy the sights and some actual genuine food, many options of it too! Unlike this trap, you'll see a huge variety of eating and shopping options
- I personally found the staff to be timid, not kind or outgoing, and all with terrible English. All my conversations ended in me switching to Chinese
- found other aspects to be a joke: they put up tons of signs saying don't flush toilet paper it'll mess up their septic tank, but if you walk to the edge of the property by the water you can definitely smell where I suppose their "septic tank" empties out into the river. They boast having furniture from highly sustainable trees (candy for non education environmentalists) Their furniture is a joke, all the chairs must be at least 200 pounds- good luck scooting over next to your family if you're not a weight lifter
- again, I can't stress this enough, don't get trapped here because they say it has a good view. Everywhere in Yangshuo, except the bottom of a squat toilet, is a good view

Tldr version: not worth it at all, better in city, hotel is a joke

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank Erich L
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay at this resort. It is just by the river, overlooking the mountains. It is very restful, nice rooms, nice food and nice staff. Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple