“What a perfect hotel and city to get to know the Chinese culture!”
Review of White Lion Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Yangshuo County
White Lion Hotel
Ranked #131 of 421 Yangshuo County B&B and Inns
Monument, Colorado
“What a perfect hotel and city to get to know the Chinese culture!”
Reviewed 7 April 2011

The White Lion Hotel staff and accommodations were perfect for your family of 6 (kids from 6-13) to experience China. What made it so ideal? Location, location, location - plus the quality service of the staff. Although most American's will need to be ready for a grade above a backpackers hotel, the benefits far out-weight those amenity limitations. What are the specific benefits? The location is so close to so many restaurants - all affordable and with a variety that goes from American food to European to traditional Chinese. The location is close to so many natural beauties - Moon Hill, the caves, and just looking around at the unique mountains is enough to take your breadth away. The location is also perfect for shopping and conversing with Chinese in English (given the many English language schools in the area). I've been around the world several times, and I can't wait to get our family back to the White Lion Hotel. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as we did.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family

Solo
Business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 2 March 2011

The White Lion is in the middle of things on West Street. Our room wasn't luxurious, but it was comfortable & clean, & cheap, & we stayed 5 nights. One convenience was a desktop with Internet in the lobby. The staff knocked themselves out to be helpful. E.g., when they recommended a Li River boat ride, the manager walked us to the bus station to make sure we got on the right bus. What I hadn't realized was that she'd also phoned someone at the other end to obtain a boat at the right price, so that was a pleasant surprise.

We spent time every evening sitting in the lobby with the owner (who resides in the U.S. but was there when we were) & manager watching the parade of people pass by on the street. Very entertaining.

Also, the hotel runs a charity which helps local students & schools. They've built playgrounds & libraries & pay the tuition for several destitute children. Some of those students stopped in while we were there. This is a superb grass-roots charity with no overhead or corruption.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
China
Reviewed 4 May 2010

I was a little concerned about some poor reviews but the hotel had been recommended to me so I went anyway. I was fortunate to meed the American owner who was visiting to inspects some recent renovations. The work has made a difference as we had no none of the problems that I had read about about. What is cool is that he runs a foundation which supports poor local rural kids to send them to school etc. Some of the profits from the hotel go to this.

Anyway the rooms are comfortable without being luxurious and the location is right on West St and therefore heart of Yangshou. The hotel does not have a restaurant so you need to eat at one of the dozens that are within a hundred yards.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed 8 June 2009

Central location on West St, but too central really. Very busy and noisy location, which is all fine if the rooms were acceptable. They weren't. We had a leaky toilet, the bathroom wasn't particularly clean, the tv archaic and generally very dark. The hot water is reportedly solar powered, which may be the reason why the hot water didn't work in the afternoon. Hard to see how the other "reviewers" may have had a 5 star experience here....

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Yangshuo County hotels

Shenzhen
Reviewed 17 May 2009

Pre trip, we check out the hotel on the net and was happy about what was written and shown about it. Hence we booked 2 nights there ...and the niceties ends there.

When we arrived at the hotel, check In and service was friendly. Rooms was a disappointment. Light was really dim and from incadescent bulbs which had seen better days. We had to squint our eyes and it was really uncomfortable. Beds and linen looked and felt ok but ensuit toilet were in dire shape - dirty and moldy smelling. Spoke to hotel staff they changed room for us.

In the new room, we had better lighting and a slightly better toilet. Our friends in the next room was not as lucky, water leaked on her when she was in the toilet!. A round of discussion ensued with hotel staff and we were once again moved to another couple of rooms, these time the more 'premium' rooms. All settled down, we headed out for dinner and for our shopping, however little did we know that its was not the end of the experience. Later in the night when we returned to our rooms and headed into the toilet for our showers before bed, we discovered more peeves:-
- Toilet seat as much as there was 'Sanitised for use' sticker on seat cover, it was simply for show. A wipe with toilet tissue on seat yielded black imprints of my fingers,
- Doing the bloke thing, lifted up the seat and scene there was non describable.
- Shower curtain on the shower side was darkened with mold and smelled really bad.

We decided that one night was enough for this hotel and we checkout 1st thing the following morning.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank fireflybugz
Beaverton Oregon
Reviewed 3 June 2007

on the way from Guilin my companion struck up a conversation with a young lady on the bus. She introduced us to her cousin Judy, who owns Judy's Service.
Judy recommended the White Lion and I am happy to say that I appreciate her help. The staff was fantastic and I highly recommend the White Lion Hotel.
Although my stay in Yangshou was brief, it has certainly been one of the most memorable events in my life.
The only problem I can remember was the hot water system failed the first night there and we had cold showers in the morning, however, that just added more flavor to the time spent there.

Just for the fun of it I will include Judy's e mail address

[--]

I would include some photos but sadly to say, my camera was stolen from my luggage somewhere between Nanning and LAX

• Liked — nothing to dislike
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank serfn1
Praha, Czech republic
Reviewed 5 April 2007

Last march I stayed in White Lion hotel on West street. Quite nice, The young owner speaks English. I ride there two days on rented bycicle and the air was full of smell of orange blossoms.
This was my first experience in China outside of big cities and was marvelous. Obviously for the people which got used to the fact that China is not Europe and the habits are different. Anyway I can recomend it.

Stayed March 2007