“Nice room”

Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Bessemer
Houston, Texas
“Nice room”
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Room very nice and clean. Pull out bed had no sheet and pillows stored in room. Did not feel like going to desk but am sure the nice clerk would have helped us. Thyme front desk staff is. Wry friendly. Used the pool, it's ok but ladder is broke and whirlpool over chlorinated.

Room Tip: We stayed on third floor, smells more like apples than smoke
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reunion, FL
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We stayed here for homecoming weekend because there was nothing else available. Paid $135 for the night which would have been fine if we hadn't been put on the third floor. We got our room key and opened the door and it REEKED of smoke as soon as we walked in. We turned around and came back out into the hall and a nice employee asked why we were leaving. We explained about the smoke smell and he said "get a room on the first or second floor...they are OK." We went back to the desk and the clerk said "This is a totally non-smoking hotel." Then he admitted that the policy had only changed about 7 months ago. He moved us to another room on the third floor that he assured us had NEVER been a smoking room...baloney!! It smelled just as bad!
You can't just change the name of a smoking floor to non-smoking and make it so. The smell lingers in the walls and bedding etc for a LOOOONNNNG time! If you stay at this hotel, make sure you get a room on the first or second floor if you truly want non-smoking!

Room Tip: Get first or second floor if you truly want non-smoking.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
CarlsonRezidor, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bessemer, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Thank you for reaching out and writing your review. We are sorry you were not satisfied with the accommodations of your room. We will discuss the conditions of your room with hotel management to ensure all guest rooms are up to Country Inn & Suites standards. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. Thank you for your feedback and we hope for another chance in the future to exceed your expectations!

Travellers are raving about these Bessemer hotels

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Wow....where do I start. This is one of the worst places I've ever stayed. We had issues trying to get extra pillows for the pullout couch, had to practically BEG for a comforter for the kids. I mean simple things like a channel listing for the TV they told us they did not have and the breakfast.....they were out of the batter for the waffles, had no syrup and were out of orange juice. I mean these are just basic things for places that offer breakfast. The indoor pool is nasty and it is really hot in there. The exercise room is a joke. Downstairs restrooms are filthy. The bad part of all this is that the room we stayed in was actually nice. King suite with pullout couch. Its ashamed that a place would let such minor things ruine your experience. If this is how all Country inn and suites are then JUST SAY NO!! I know I will from now on.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank mhenderson4
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bessemer, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
We apologize you were not satisfied with the condition of the hotels facilities during your stay. In addition, we apologize for the lack of quality in the breakfast, as well as the disappointing service you received from our staff. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly at your earliest convenience.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 10 July 2013

I've stayed at this venue several times due to my company having an account there. With my job, I stay in hotels about 300 nights a year, and this place, by far, is nearly the worst place I HAVE to stay in. The owner of this place has got to be one of the stingiest inn keepers on the planet. Often times the amount of food provided for breakfast is not enough to feed all the guests before it runs out. Same with the milk. I can't understand why he rations the milk like he does. He watches it like a hawk to make sure there's a limited supply on hand.

To be fair, the rooms are fine with plenty of pillows and comfortable mattresses. Due being cheaper than all of the surrounding hotels, you can expect to have ball teams, youth groups, construction workers (be the first for breakfast if you want any when they are there) creating lots of noise late into the night. When staying on the 2nd floor, you will know when someone walks down the hallway of the third floor. When you call the front desk late at night to ask them to tell the kids to not run up and down the halls, don't be surprised when no one answers the phone.

The hotel description states that there is a fitness center. That is true, there is a room with a treadmill, an elliptical trainer, and a stationary bike. The treadmill has not worked since April, the elliptical is stuck on a very high resistance and will not adjust, and the stationary bike is something out of a finger-hut catalog. Don't waste your time trying to use any of it.

If you don't care for breakfast, can sleep like a rock, and don't need to exercise, then this hotel will suit your needs.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Stopnogogo
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bessemer, responded to this review, 19 July 2013

Please reach out to any of our employees directly should you have any concerns during or after your next stay.
Mandeville, La.
Reviewed 3 June 2013

With a family of five we like to stay at Country Inn & Suites en route to or from our vacation spots because of the room size, free breakfast and overall good value. This particular location was a little better than half way to our final destination of Dollywood.
The word that keeps coming to mind about our room in the Bessemer Al. location is 'funky' ie unclean, dirty... The hall on our floor smelled like cigarette smoke as soon as the elevator doors opened. The rooms all have a small mini fridge which is something we like. Ours apparently had a leak because there was a damp black spot in the carpet about 6"x3" right below it. The spot had to have been there for some time for it to be so dark.
The door to our room, and several others, either wasn't installed properly or the building is settling. The door fits as it should at the top of the frame, but as you go down from top to bottom there is a gap that increasingly widens so that at bottom 12 inches or so the gap is about half an inch wide. You can see clearly into the hallway, or if someone wanted to, they could see clearly into our room. We arrived late and in were in no mood to lug everything to another room. We were only going to be there til the next morning.
At check out management was apathetic about our concerns.
We're still going to stay at Country Inns but if you're traveling through Bessemer Al find another place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank darrikel
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bessemer, responded to this review, 13 June 2013
Please accept our sincere apology for failing to deliver the comfortable and memorable experience you expect to enjoy from a Country Inn & Suites property. Our team works hard to make sure all of our guests feel comfortable and we are sorry to hear we let you down during your recent stay. Your comments are valued and we are taking the necessary steps to ensure our guests are not met with a similar situation in the future. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to be of better service to you in the future!
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 25 May 2013

I stayed on the first floor and thought for sure I was going to be disturbed by pool noise but surprising I wasn't. There was no smoke smell on my floor but I do believe others did smell it on the 4th floor. The hotel was clean and my room was the same quality I get when I go to Holiday Inn Select. I couldn't stay there this time because they were booked for the Graduations and Holiday. I am so glad we stayed here because it was a lot cheaper then Holiday Inn. The lady at the front desk was approachable and friendly. I say that because the hotel I tried to stay at before coming to this one was rude and nasty. I read the comments left by others who have stayed at this location but did not observe what they did. The food was good biscuits and gravy and waffles. I know when I read reviews especially great ones I always think they must come from people who work there especially after a really bad one but trust me this is worth checking out if your on this side of town. For those staying for an extended period of time like we did they have 2 fridges in the room and microwave. Plenty of closet space,drawers and big bathroom. I am very picky about the bed situation because I experienced horror stories at many hotels but when I crawled into bed there I was so pleased! I pulled down the sheets made sure there wasn't any bugs or marks of any kind and it was spotless! The pillows were fluffy and smelled good and the blanket was just right not too heavy but not too light either. I paid the discount rate because I stayed weekly and feel that I got my moneys worth and some. I will defiantly stay here again. If you don't like smoke I recommend you stay on 1st or 2nd floor. I have allergies and I usually try to stay on these floors in most hotels in Alabama since there smoking laws are different then most states I travel too. This area can be a bit pricy due to its location but I learned through the years that if you come in and talk to the manager at most any hotel you can work out a good rate. I pray my review helps take care and God Bless!

Room Tip: If you don't like smoke stay on 1st or 2nd floor!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Debby C
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We checked into this hotel after a long day of driving, rates were a bit high but we were tired and ready to relax. Front desk lady was very nice and professional. We were given a room on the third floor, when we stepped off of the elavator it reeked of ciggarette smoke! When we got to the room we immediately started to look for another hotel on our IPad. Found one 15 minutes later in Homewood, Alabama. A VERY nice hotel in a GREAT location!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alicia A
Carlson Hotels C, Online Customer Support at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bessemer, responded to this review, 20 May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. The Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bessemer, AL and the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group will work diligently to ensure that smoke odor related problems are investigated and resolved immediately. We appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. To discuss your stay further, please contact the hotel directly at 205-481-0007.