“Beautiful new property in Birmingham!”

SpringHill Suites Birmingham Colonnade
Ranked #33 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Birmingham was my second stop on a 6 day roadtrip through the South. I am loyal to Marriott properties as I earn rewards through my credit card. I could not have chosen a better place to stay in Birmingham, as this hotel is so new and so very pretty.

The lobby area is decorated in a very colorful, modern style that I absolutely love. The rooms are decorated in similar tones of green and blue and really come together. Check in was fast and easy and the clerk was friendly.

The room is quite spacious, with a separate sitting/desk area, bedroom, kitchenette and bathroom. The small touches, like an iHome alarm clock, were really nice. The flatscreen TV is large and swivels so you can view from bed or the sitting area, the bed exceptionally comfortable, the shower really great. The A/C works well, but predictably, the first half of the room doesn't get quite as cool. The only concern I had was that the pool looked like it needed a little bit of chemical servicing and sure enough, later that night they closed it for cleaning.

Breakfast and WiFi are included. Breakfast was pretty standard as far as morning carbohydrates go--cereals, fruit, pastries, toast, oatmeal, made-your-own waffles, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, juice and milk. I was there on a Tuesday morning and had no problem with the availability of anything around 8 AM.

The hotel is located close to several smaller shopping malls that include several local and chain restaurants. It was about 15-20 minutes away from downtown Birmingham, but the drive is beautiful so you don't really mind!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for SpringHill Suites Birmingham Colonnade

Reviewed 25 April 2009

I have traveled 40 + weeks a year for more than 5 years. This is by far one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. You hear every room door close, every voice in the hallway, and it's situated right next to a busy highway (280) so you get that noise as a bonus. Been here three nights and maybe have gotten 6 hours of sleep over the trip. With all of the good quality, well constructed hotel choices in Birmingham, there is no reason to stay here.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank cvarga2009
Reviewed 24 April 2009

It was quiet. It was clean. It was close to lots of things. It was up-to-date in styling. I didn't notice any wear on the furniture, walls, or carpet. Breakfast was good, and free. Wired and wireless internet was acceptably fast, and free. The rooms have a good layout and was very comfortable. Expect a refrigerator and microwave. The hot water was plentiful and instantly hot, no waiting around. Water pressure was strong. The mattress, pillows, and linens are extremely comfortable and I had an excellent nights sleep. The workout room was pretty good. But if it isn't good enough for you, Gold's Gym is within walking distance. The outdoor pool was somewhat small, but very clean and enjoyable. The front desk staff had great manners and was pleasant, efficient, and knowledgeable. The only downside was the "business center" was extremely small, and not easy to work at. But the 24-hour coffee in the lobby was hot and tasty.

I would stay here again. It is easy to get to just off the interstate, but set back far enough it is very quiet. It also very close to The Summit shopping mall, and several good restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I always stay in Marriott hotels but wasn't sure about Springhill. Maybe they should advertise more. Anyway, this hotel was great! It's in the middle of a nice business area, with great shopping close by and all the restaurants you could ever need. It's also really convenient for sports - - my kids play volleyball and soccer, so we'll be on the road a lot! The people in the hotel are really great, too. They took great care of us, even when my daughter spilled soda all over the lobby floor. I can see myself staying here for Talledega and maybe for Alabama games. There's plenty of room for the family. The place is clean and bright and the smiles everywhere were just as nice. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank ScSoccermom
Reviewed 20 April 2009

Liked the hotel, it was within walking distance to some nice restaurants; but, it was very difficult to locate it when we first got there. There are NO signs telling you where it is. Luckily, I had written down their phone number and was able to call them to get directions. We could see it; but, couldn't get over to it. You need to turn by the Hampton Inn off Colonnade and there it is. Don't stay there for the free breakfast though because chances are you won't get anything but cereal if you aren't there early. Nice staff and clean rooms plus good location....once you find it.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kycobraguy
Reviewed 9 March 2009

Springhill Suites Birmingham - Colonnade sits in a mixed business/retail/restaurant area. The facility is still fairly new, and the decor in the rooms and public areas still has a fresh look to it. We encountered capable, friendly staff at every turn. We stayed three nights (March 5-7, 2009) while in town for Davis Cup. The hotel was full of families with children competing in a youth soccer tournament that same weekend, but we heard very little noise from the halls or parking lot in our room. Our room was on the side of the hotel away from I-459, and was one of the quietest hotel rooms I've had in a while. The bathroom fan and shower head were even quiet.
We had the free breakfast 2 of our 3 days. In addition to the usual fruit, cereal & pastries, this hotel offers a hot item daily (biscuits & gravy, sausage & scrambled eggs) and also had 2 stations for guests to make their own waffles. The breakfast area had plenty of seating. There is a Cracker Barrel restaurant in the Colonnade less than a half mile from the restaurant, and plenty of other options out 280.
The location was very convenient. Our event was at the Birmingham Jefferson Civic Center near downtown, and we could get there from the hotel in about 15 minutes. The hotel is 5 minutes from The Summit, a large retail/restaurant/movie complex.
Our room was comfortable - sitting area with couch and chair, mini-frig, microwave and coffer maker, king bed. Granite counter tops in bath and kitchen area was a nice touch. HD TV that could be swiveled to face bedroom or sitting area. We did not use the pool or the gym. Hotel also has a deal with nearby Gold's Gym with passes for $6.
I felt we received good value for our money, and would definitely include this property in my planning the next time we visit the Birmingham area.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2009

Hotel was brand new. Color scheme in lobby was a little loud. My only complaint was that I had a room facing the interstate and boy was it noisy. I would probably try it again but only if I could stay on the other side.

Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business