Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Good location for the event I was attending. Older historic hotel with valet parking only. Rooms nice size and the beds comfortable. Have stayed there in the past with no issues. Had a few this trip but did not take the time to report them since my stay was only two nights and I was not in the room much.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Write a ReviewReviews (1,116)

Reviewed 3 February 2014

One of the nicest Hampton Inns I have stayed in. Full service restaurant! excellent location right in the city of Birmingham. The staff was very helpful with directions and knew the area very well. My room was clean and VERY comfortable. I will stay at this hotel again on my next trip to Birmingham!

Reviewed 31 January 2014

What could have been a terrible experience due to unexpected snow, ice and cancelled flights, the Tutwiler team wnet above and beyond, pitching in on whatever needed to be done to keep the guests happy and comfortable. I have never seen such teamwork in my life. Many of the staff went without sleep, Chef Bobby helped wait tables, all staf helped clean rooms, provide clean towels, serve breakfast, whatever it took. Well done!!!

Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Roxanne O, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

I'm pleased that the staff could help make your stay an outstanding one, despite the unfavorable weather conditions. Thank you for your feedback and comments. I will pass along your appreciations to the staff. I look forward to having you stay again and welcoming you back to see what else theTutwiler hotel has to offer.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

My friend/co-worker and I found ourselves stranded at our office in downtown Birmingham on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 due to a sudden (for Alabama anyway) snowstorm.....with no hotel rooms available ANYWHERE in the greater Birmingham area, we decided we would go to the Tutwiler Century café for dinner and cocktails.....we cannot say enough great things about the staff at the Tutwiler Hampton Inn in Birmingham.....they (the staff) too were stranded at work but were gracious, accommodating and offered us a big huge dose of southern hospitality. Would recommend this hotel to anyone and hope if you find yourself in the Birmingham area you would stay at the Hampton Inn Downtown Tutwiler hotel.

1  Thank Pam W

Thank you for the outstanding review of the Tutwiler Hotel. In spite of the outside weather circumstances, I'm glad we could give you a warm and welcome stay. We are very proud of our service standards and scores. We are very happy to hear you were able to experience them during your stay. Thank you for sticking it out with us during the snowstorm. Sometimes it just the little extras that can make a stay great!
We look forward to your next visit and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

If you like charm and history this is the place to stay in downtown Birmingham. Hampton Inn has done a great job in capturing the history of this hotel and its importance to early 20th century Birmingham. And as usual there is the Hampton Inn service and amenities. Parking is difficult in downtown so expect valet. Their valet is reasonable and very professional, courteous and quick.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Last night was our third time staying at the Tutwiler- we are locals, and used to visit on wedding anniversaries to have a night away. Since having our child 2 years ago we haven't been back, but I decided recently to celebrate my husband's birthday by booking a night there- so that we could have a night to ourselves, away from kids and early wake up calls. My husband usually is either getting up at 4am to go in to work, or being woken up by our daughter so this was supposed to be a real treat.

In the past, we've always been given an upgrade due to our Hilton honors status. Not this time, in spite of the hotel certainly being at less than full capacity. And additionally, I had the lovely pleasure of waking up at 3am to hear my husband on the phone with the front desk trying to figure out why our heater quit working. We were on the corner of the building, with large windows in every wall, and it is of course the coldest weather in recent history. It was so cold in our room we were shaking, even underneath all the blankets. The girl at the front desk said maintenance doesn't come in until 7am, so no help there, but offered to move us to a different room, in the middle of the night.

So we moved, and finished up our stay in the room next door. No offer for a refund of the points used to book out stay, or to have a discounted or complimentary future stay. No apology either. And it was sadly a complete waste of our celebratory night away from home. Thanks for nothing, Tutwiler. You've lost another set of guests who won't be returning. There are other more gracious and dependable places in town! Future guests, beware. Or if you're going to stay there, try the spring instead.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jwskell

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate the feedback as it is very important to our success. I would like the opportunity to speak with you in regards to your past stay and would also like the chance to have you back to show you our hotel in a different light. If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail I would love an opportunity to speak with you.

Please feel free to contact me at your leisure at 205 439 9114.

Thank you again for your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

This was my 3rd time staying here and the previous 2 were very good. This time not. Had a 5 night stay upon arrival at airport called shuttle and he arrived quickly and was very polite. Check in was fast and easy inquired about upgrade at desk being a hilton rewards member but was denied at this time . I make it to room and compared to previous stays it seemed much smaller , so ok I unpack and notice that the dresser drawers ( which was situated in the corner and at he end of bed ) would not open but 6-8 inches , there was no way to put anything inside the drawers. I call down to front desk and it was obvious they were aware of the room and it's short comings . So now all of a sudden there is a upgrade available for $20 a day!! Not offered to be moved to a room in the same category the was more accommodating ( because I know they have them )
Once I repacked my belongings ( didn't even offer to bring key up to me ) and carry them all the way back to front desk I picked up new room key.
Shower temp was great in the morning but for some reason in the early evening it would not heat sufficiently.
Maid service was terrible! Beds were made but that was it . Sinks and shower were not cleaned, had a dirty towel that was placed in the clean towel section. Later in the week I had no towels in the bathroom.....NONE! So I see the maid and I inquire about no towels and I'm informed they don't have any......a hotel with no clean towels??? But was promised some in about 30 min. 2 hrs later I have to call the front desk and finally get some towels . Wow
I will say the restaurant food and service were great along with the breakfast attendants and the shuttle drivers.
Like I said this wasn't my first time staying here but this was by far the worst. Hopefully these matters will be addressed .

3  Thank Greg W
Roxanne O, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback on your recent experience staying with us via Trip Advisor. We appreciate your honest input on our hotel and we will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience moving forward. In addition when occupancy allows, we do offer the Gold and Platinum members the benefit of an upgrade. It looks like you may have been with us when the upgrade was not available due to the group reservation that you were booked in. I truly apologize about the cleanliness of your room and the water temperature in your room fluctuating and if this caused you any inconveniences I will be sure that your feedback is shared with the staff members as this will also be useful to them for guests in the future. Again I apologize for any disappointment in your visit and please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to prevent any future occurrences. I would like to invite you back at your leisure when your travel plans require you to return to the Birmingham area.