“Nice Place/Horrible Staff/Over Priced”

Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 27 February 2014

For the amount paid to stay here its not worth it. Hotel was very nice but staff was horrible, made excuses on multiple occasions that they did not know they were going to have as many people staying at the hotel for that weekend. Stayed for the Bassmaster Classic which is planned a year in advance. Also the restuarant service was horrible walked out before even being seated because of the same excuse and glad i did because was told by others that food was not good and didnt have everything on menu.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I was in Birmingham with 2 other ladies for the Alabama Clay Conference. This hotel was the one recommended by the Conference. Our first night we experienced a furniture "malfunction" which woke us up in the middle of the night with a bang. Luckily, no one was injured but scared the dickens out of us. The next morning we told the desk clerk so it could be repaired and immediately, she told us that the night would be taken care of and they would make the repairs while we were out during the day. I love a business that empowers its employees to make a spot decision like that. In addition, the room was clean and well maintained, the breakfast was very good, the valet employees were over and above courteous, and we enjoyed seeing all of the old Birmingham historical photos in this very old hotel. I would recommend highly!

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor and enjoyed the view.
Reviewed 26 February 2014

During snowmageddon 2014 here in the Birmingham area my co-worker and I couldn't get to our homes. The staff at the Tutwiler were accommodating and hospitable to all who were stranded! Customer Service at it's finest! After they were booked up, they turned no one away and let folks sleep in their newly remolded commons area. The staff who were also stranded slept on floors and let us stranded folks (non-paying 'guests') have the more comfy chairs and sofas. The staff maintained the most positive attitudes and were truly the kindest people I've encountered in a long time. You won't be disappointed with a stay at the Tutwiler!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Karon G
Reviewed 26 February 2014

We brought our nationwide tour event to The Tutwiler this past weekend, with the help of Patricia Conrad. We were able to make this event a great success and utilized the beautiful newly renovated space on the 8th floor, which worked great for our event. We raised over 15,000 dollars and helped many Brides to Be find their dream gown. Overall a lovely event, the Tutwiler and staff did a fantastic job!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This renovated hotel is well located in downtown Birmingham. The rooms are well decorated. The continental breakfast is adequate. I was with a party of 4 colleagues. All our rooms were confirmed but unavailable at check in. It is apparently common for the hotel to over book and expect no shows.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a back up plan. A confirmation means little here.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank 256George
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I had stayed at the Tutwiler 5 years ago in 2009, the night before the Mercedes Half Marathon and had an exceptional stay, so I was happy to book it again this year for myself and a couple friends who were running the race for the first time. The price was right and it was listed on the marathon website, so I thought it would be trustworthy.

I booked in October for a February stay and called at least a month before to assure I could get a late check out on Sunday (because we were planning to run the race, shower and drive back to Atlanta that afternoon). The cheerful girl on the phone said it would be no problem....when did I want to check out? I asked what was the latest checkout I could get? She said 1:30 pm, so I said, "Great! We'll take that!"

The Saturday before the race, we arrived in Birmingham early, around 3:15, hoping to check in. There were a ton of people in the lobby already waiting for their rooms (at least 20), and I was told that check in wasn't until 4:00 pm. I wanted to doublecheck on the late checkout, but the girl behind the desk said that I would have to call about a late checkout in the morning. I told her I had called and already booked it months earlier and she very rudely said, "Well I see the note here, but I don't know who you talked to because for a checkout as late as 1:30, we'd have to charge you for half a day".

We had to go pick up our numbers nearby, so we decided to kill the hour doing that. Returned to the hotel at 4:00 pm, to find even MORE people waiting in the lobby. The rooms were still not ready. There was no system for a wait list other than getting back in line and waiting to speak to either of the girls at the counter, until your room was ready. When I suggested they keep a sign in sheet, I was completely ignored. Some people got their rooms right away but I assumed they were either Diamond Hilton Honors members or had a suite of some sort. When I asked what the problem was, I was told that the night prior had been Valentine's Day and that people wouldn't leave their rooms in the morning, so the cleaning people weren't able to get them cleaned by 4:00. This seemed like a pretty lame excuse, considering the rooms that weren't ready were the ones with two queen beds. Not too many couples I know require TWO beds for Valentine's Day.

After waiting for 50 minutes, we FINALLY got a room....but only because I stood to the right of the desk, hounding the girls until they gave me one.

Once we were in the room, everything was fine......except for one final thing....

We awoke early to call about our "late checkout" and the girl who answered the phone bluntly told me, "Oh, we're not doing those today." I told her that was absolutely unacceptable and that since we had waited for more than an hour for our room the previous day, the least she could do was to give us a late checkout. She eventually relented when she realized I was not taking No for an answer, and said we could have a 12:00 checkout.

I love this hotel really - it's in the center of town, very convenient to the start and the restaurant where we had dinner. The beds are comfortable, the sheets are clean and I like staying in a historic building.

But the staff was acting like this race surprised them? They have been running it EVERY year on the exact same weekend for 13 years!

I don't know what happened this time around, but the service was unacceptable.

2  Thank kayrooster
Roxanne O, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write us your review. We always appreciate and take very seriously the feedback our guests provide. I was disappointed to hear we could not get you your room at the time you had arrived.

I apologize for the inconvenience of your room not being ready in a timely fashion. I understand your frustrations with the hotel being overwhelmingly busy during your stay. Please call me at your earliest convenience at 205-439-9114 to discuss in further detail. I did send a personal email to you as well to resolve your concerns. I am looking forward to talking with you.

Thank you again, and we hope you will come back for another visit so we can exceed your expectations!

Reviewed 19 February 2014

Great historic hotel with all the amenities. The valet/drop-off area needs a lot of help. They check-in process takes way too long because the flow of cars at the entrance is awful! Staff was great....we will stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kevin S
Roxanne O, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham Downtown - The Tutwiler, responded to this reviewResponded 21 February 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I’m glad to hear you received great service from our staff, and that you appreciated the hotel’s historic look and amenities. I also appreciate your feedback regarding our valet service, as we are always striving to provide the best possible service. This service is conducted by our bell staff, and they are among the most active team members, assisting guests with valet, luggage, and complimentary shuttle service. Due to the Mercedes Marathon and other events our hotel was full and regrettably, there were some delays to valet service. I’m sorry you were inconvenienced, but I sincerely hope you will give us a second chance to impress you with all we have to offer.