“Powerful”
Review of Kelly Ingram Park

Kelly Ingram Park
Ranked #14 of 93 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Home to vivid sculptures of the Children's Crusade.
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Powerful”
Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

I recommend visiting the Civil Rights Institute first which describes in detail with video of the Children's March that occurred here. The sculptures make a powerful statement of the horrors those brave children suffered. As far as the grounds, the entrance across from the Civil Rights Institute is beautiful but the rest could use a little attention. And, yes, there are what appeared to be "street people" hanging out at the park but none approached us. Unfortunately, what shortened our visit was a person who possibly had mental issues who was screaming at another person sitting on a bench. We could hear this person across the park the entire time we were there. A shame because I would have liked to see the entire park. Regardless, still well worth a visit.

Cincinnati
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Very nicely done.”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I thought this park and the civil rights exhibits and sculptures were very well done. I especially liked that you could call on your cell phone to listen to a description of the historical events depicted in the sculptures.

1 Thank lovestotravel2z
San Antonio, Texas, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Ample, convenient parking”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Ample, convenient parking, and easy to access. This is a park designed to tell a story, and the statues along with their placement tell this story adequately.

Atlanta
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“A must see”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Out for a walk, we came across this park and were deeply impacted by the sculpture and informational signs depicting the horrors related to the Children's March and other events in Birmingham during the Civil Rights era. We regrettably could not return when the museum opened, or would have spent time there as well. Made what I had learned from the history books much more real, as it put human faces on the hatred as well as on the courageous.

1 Thank SCR-ATL
Philadelphia
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 125 helpful votes
“A walk through horror”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I'm a historian. So I enjoyed my visit to the Kelly Ingram Park. I say enjoyed as history is my passion. But really it is a reminder of hateful people. As I strolled around taking pictures I found that the art really brought out the experience. How horrible. When I came to the two children preparing to be hit with high water cannons, my heart sank. How brave these children were. How could any human do this? The only thought I had is hate. What this poor town went through for their fight for freedom. An man came over to me and showed me where the best shot was for the sculpture. I looked through my lens and hesitated - I saw terror. Taking pictures didn't matter anymore. I stood in prayer for a moment, then turned to the old fellow who showed me where to stand for my picture and gave him $10. I ask him, did you witness this? And he replied yes. I gave him a big hug and said bless you, he said bless you back. He turned as is he really didn't want to speak of it, slowly walked back to his bench and smiled and told me to go have a good time. He reminded me of my grandfather (RIP). I gave him a gentle smile back and told him to take care of himself. I think that moment was my favorite moment of my whole trip.

Visited August 2013