“A lot of history on those steps.”

16th Street Baptist Church
Book In Advance
More Info
US$55.00*
and up
Birmingham Civil Rights Tour
Ranked #11 of 95 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Four young girls were killed when a Ku Klux Klan bomb exploded in this church in 1963. The girls are remembered with a shrine in the crypt where they died, and a vibrant stained glass window donated in sympathy by the people of Wales adorns the historic church.
Reviewed 22 August 2013

A must just to visit, know the history that occurred here. You are allowed to see the church inside, but it is closed on Mondays.

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

We attended a Sunday service and were welcomed with open arms. The sermon and music were amazing and truly uplifting. In addition to this, 16th street baptist church was a big part of the civil rights movement and has lots of history. Well worth a visit!

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I was very attracted to this Church. After studying the history and destruction that happened there, it was a very moving and heartfelt experience for me personally. I had visited all four graves of the little girls the day prior with watering eyes. The innocent that paid with their lives due to hate. So standing in front of this church really meant something to me. I prayed for the little girls that were murdered and their families, I prayed for hope of the future, I prayed for peace. I was in the area due to a convention that I was part of and our event was at the Civil Rights Institute then head over to the Church. I found myself drawn to this church skipping the free food and free drinks to walk around the area and take lots of photos of the church. We did as a large group get to go inside for some music and singing. Was a great time and a great experience.

1  Thank Kimberly K
Reviewed 2 August 2013

This church is located across the street from the Civil Rights Museum. Gorgeous building and lots of history to take in.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

This historic landmark is a must-see. You will be moved by the tribute to the church bombing victims and their display of the civil rights movement in the 1960's.

Been to 16th Street Baptist Church? Share your experiences!