“Great place to take the family”

Southern Museum of Flight
Ranked #18 of 93 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: An aircraft hangar museum with exhibits of authentic old airplanes.
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My wife and I were keeping two of our grandkids in Birmingham and I needed a place I could take a 5 year old for a few hours while the 3 year old slept. It was very interesting to me and had enough "stuff" to keep the 5 year old interested for several hours. Although the flight simulators had signs that advised no one under 12 to use them, I supervised my grandson in one or two and he seemed to really like it. I saw enough to want a return visit where I can take my time and try the simulators myself. As with any museum there's a lot of history that won't be interesting to anyone who isn't an airplane buff, but there's a lot of interesting things to see.

1  Thank Ed S
There are newer reviews for Southern Museum of Flight

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I went with a group of my family.... age ranges from 9 to early 60's. The museum is not huge. I think you could probably easily see it all within 2 - 3 hours. It is a pretty easy place to see if you have mobility issues. There were several places to sit through the museum and there was something for everyone. (Note, I was skeptical since I am not a plane person). It was very clean and neat. Cost was very reasonable - $7 for adults and $6 for kids.

1  Thank S_MadisonsMom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Not that big but interesting history. Not crowded. Several good flight simulators for 12 and older. Clean and neat. The town area around looked run down but that was interesting too. I would place it higher on the Birmingham attractions list.

If you have a local Science Museum membership part of The Association of Science-Technology Centers (ASTC) then you could get free access here.

1  Thank sustav
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

We are a family with children ranging from 13 years old down to 17 months. There is so much to soak in at this museum. Take your time & look at everything twice. Make sure to let the kids get into the planes that are available. My kids enjoyed that so much! Also, there are a few planes outside in a fenced area. If you have some wiggle worms with ants in their pants, this is the area they can run around in. Lastly, if you have bigger kids, there is a scavenger hunt you can get at the front desk. I would suggest completing it.

1  Thank Mommilew
Reviewed 7 March 2014

If you love airplanes and aviation, you will love this place. Well off the beaten path, but worth the trip. Great place to take a group of kids. The staff is outstanding and there are a lot of hands-on exhibits.

1  Thank DocJon56