“Worth seeing”

Southern Museum of Flight
Ranked #17 of 93 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: An aircraft hangar museum with exhibits of authentic old airplanes.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Worth seeing”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Couple weekends ago I visited Southern Museum of Flight and was very impressed. Something that didn't look like much from the outside turned out to be very interesting and worth seeing. Decent amount of airplanes - mainly smaller models. In the military area they had some bigger jets and helicopters. Great staff and they have a AAA discount. The only thing I didn't like is that the Outdoor airplane collection is connected to the local airport and only accessible to view from the street through the fence. You can't walk close to the exhibits - a lot of which are very interesting and impressive. Also, some flight simulators are only available for people with pilot licenses.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Marek P

Vancouver, Washington
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Something for everyone.”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The museum contains both civilian and military exhibits. I didn't realize there was so much aviation history coming out of Alabama until I went here. The staff were friendly and helpful. There are interactive exhibits to engage the young ones, and military exhibits taking a thoughtful slice of history and presenting it in easily consumable bites. If you have any interest in flight, this is a great introduction.

2 Thank Wuerme
Idaho Falls, Idaho, United States
168 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 95 helpful votes
“Small museum but great displays and staff”
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I wanted to spend an afternoon exploring Birmingham and came across this in my AAA tour book. Members get a discount. What a lovely museum! The dioramas are well complete with sound effects. The local history- Tuskegee airmen, the Alabama native present when the North Korean pilot defected to the US and the recovery of a bomber - not sure what kind- from a lake in North Carolina made this museum very special. Right near the airport.

1 Thank Rhonda A
Dothan, Alabama
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Great place to take the family”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My wife and I were keeping two of our grandkids in Birmingham and I needed a place I could take a 5 year old for a few hours while the 3 year old slept. It was very interesting to me and had enough "stuff" to keep the 5 year old interested for several hours. Although the flight simulators had signs that advised no one under 12 to use them, I supervised my grandson in one or two and he seemed to really like it. I saw enough to want a return visit where I can take my time and try the simulators myself. As with any museum there's a lot of history that won't be interesting to anyone who isn't an airplane buff, but there's a lot of interesting things to see.

1 Thank Ed S
Birmingham, Alabama
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“Very interesting and easy”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I went with a group of my family.... age ranges from 9 to early 60's. The museum is not huge. I think you could probably easily see it all within 2 - 3 hours. It is a pretty easy place to see if you have mobility issues. There were several places to sit through the museum and there was something for everyone. (Note, I was skeptical since I am not a plane person). It was very clean and neat. Cost was very reasonable - $7 for adults and $6 for kids.

1 Thank S_MadisonsMom