“Room for improvement”

Ramada Birmingham Airport
Ranked #60 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 14 June 2014

First of all...why don't hotels realize that people need outlets to recharge electronic devices ? Every outlet except the bathroom was in use. Tried to call the desk and the phone didn't work. The drink machine was out of order, there was only one working printer in the business center and it was printing so light that I am not sure the boarding passes I printed will scan. The restaurant was a joke. Went in to eat and asked for a diet coke and was told they didn't have diet drinks. Asked if we wanted a menu or were we ordering one of the specials? We were the only people there and it was pretty clear they didn't want to wait on us so we left. Bathroom was dirty in the corners. Front desk took two people to find our reservation and they talked back and forth in Spanish, which I find rude.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 27 May 2014

When we arrived after a long road trip, our greeting was a unfriendly "Can I help you?" from the desk clerk. Not a "hello", "hi" nor "welcome to Clarion". Not a real good start, but we remained optimistic about the hotel and our experience. Unfortunately, that was just the beginning...

Here were our pros and cons...
Pros:
1.Close to the airport.
2. Maintenance crew was helpful.
3. Daytime desk clerk was more polite and exemplified better customer service.

Cons (see pics):
1. Rooms are dirty- multiple stains on carpet, bed duvet, pillows and drapes.
2. Unfinished carpeting on third floor. It was just the padding on the floor when we arrived. Why not just close off that section of the hotel, instead of having us walk on padding?
3. Cheap patch work-there was a bulge in our wall that was just painted over.
4. We had to clean the pool ourselves. The maintenance crew came to help later.
5. Huge delay when requesting clean towels. The first time we didn't receive them at all, and the second time it took a half hour.
6. Elevators and banquet rooms are outdated and need renovating.
7. Very slow drain in bathtub, water pooled at your feet while showering.
8. Exhaust fan did not work in bathroom.

We already prepaid for the room, because we found a reasonable rate online. However, we really wanted to leave and go some where else. Unfortunately, the only other reputable hotel near by was about $50 more per night, so we decided to tough it out.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel or, at least, check if renovations are complete prior to booking.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Shantaye
Reviewed 2 May 2014

The hotel seems a little dated, but relatively clean. It apprears to be going through a removation of somekind. Rooms a relatively clean, air conditioning worked great. Front desk staff what fabulous, curteous and comodating. I could print my boarding pass in the business center so they did it for me in the offcie printer, very nice. 4:30 am shuttle on time drive was very nice. Price and location 5 minutes from the aiport is excellent

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 April 2014

The Clarion Hotel is a nice place to stay at an affordable price. I've visited this location numerous times with my basketball team that I coach. It's not a 5 star hotel but it's definitely worth the price. The location is great, the hotel is clean and the rooms aren't bad either. Thebathrooms are updated, the beds are comfortable and although you're close to the airport, the noise isn't noticeable at all like you would think. That's another advantage, proximity to not only the airport but within 10 miles from everything. If you go east, you have restaurants and shopping, if you go west you're back in Birmingham. Diane is great in the group bookings as well. She always accommodated us as she could and we always had an enjoyable experience. We WILL be back each time we are in the area!

Room Tip: I would choose a room near the elevators because it's a long walk to the end of each hallway!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Horrible unexperienced front desk crew!!! No internet connection. Very old dirty rooms. Old tv.. When I checked in, they gave me a room key didn't work. Came back all the way from 4th floor to receive another key. didn't work again. It's like a joke. I feel like I am in a camera show. I have 10 accounts in the area , I will prefer to sleep in a car, if this is the last hotel in the area. sorry not a hotel.. whatever you call it/

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tarikco33
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We were re-routed to BHM when trying to get back to WI from FL. This hotel was able to offer us two rooms for our family of 6 at the last minute.

We called the shuttle and it arrived at he airport within about 5-10 minutes, and we got to the hotel at 11 pm. Check in was smooth, rooms were clean. Furniture somewhat outdated but bathrooms sparking and modern. Impressed with the quality of the bedding and towels. No free breakfast, but free coffee in the lobby.

We put our names down for the 6 am shuttle the night before, and sure enough it was ready for us by about 5:50 am, with a friendly and helpful driver.

I slept like a log, probably because we had had such a difficult travel day, but my husband heard multiple trains throughout the night. Our rooms were on the first floor facing the front.

Overall, a pleasant experience, but keep in mind we were only there for a total of 7 hours!

Room Tip: if you are a light sleeper, ask for a room as far away as possible from the train tracks
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank momof4Wi
Reviewed 6 January 2014

After picking up my bags, I called the hotel for the shuttle. The reply by Leslie was "It'll be there in 5 to 10 minutes". After 20 minutes waiting, I called the hotel again to make sure I was in the correct pick-up location. Leslie said, "It'll be there any minute". After 20 minutes later (now 40 minutes), Leslie again said he should be right there and she asked for my cell number so the driver could call me when he arrived at the airport. At an hour of waiting, I took a taxi to the airport. I called the manager who said he would look into it and get back to me. Still waiting for that call from him....

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business