“Always nice to come home!”

SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Ranked #35 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 3 June 2011

Have stayed here several times over the last 10 months while getting treatment at UAB. It truly feels like a second home. Front desk staff is always friendly and willing to help and the rooms are clean and big. Easy walking distance to UAB and several restuarants. Jameka Brown is truly a miracle worker having secured our reservations no matter how quickly we are showing up! When we are in Birmingham, there is only 1 place to stay the Hyatt Place Birmingham/Downtown!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 2 June 2011

Pretty lobby, fantastic cookies, fantastic food, fantastic outdoor eating area with water figure, 1 computer/business center in lobby, self checkin/checkout available right next to elevators, pretty/contemporary/super clean/spacious rooms with partition into living room area, fridge, great beds/linens, quiet location but restaurants w/in Close walking distance, loved the tray on the ottoman for eating on, fantastic service, plenty of counter space in bathroom, good water pressure, ...... the ONLY thing we didn't like was that the sink is IN the bedroom right across from the beds. So if one person gets up to get ready earlier, obviously the female, the light is right in your partners eyes and there no muffling of the sounds inevitable there. We continue to return to that hotel though because of all the positives, location to airport, value for the money. If it weren't for that darned sink.... But then NO DOUBT the rate would be higher.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2011

Appreciated coming to our reserved reception room and not having to do anything but enjoy my son's guest. The food was excellent and the assigned staff did an outstanding job at attending to the needs of our guest. The staff were attentive and courteous from the being of the evening until the end of the event. A special thanks to our event coordinator that made sure all our requests were met.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 May 2011

Spent a week at the Hyatt Place Birmimgham Downtown and everyone was very polite and helpfull I realy enjoyed my stay. Thank you all.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Returned to room one night and found that housekeeping had never been in, room was just the way I left it.

Not in a ghastly way, but bed unmade, towels on floor, trash cans full, etc. I called Front Desk (Why do they call it a Gallery now? Maybe that's Hyatt's way of telling me to not expect what I expect out of a Front Desk).

The "Gallery Host" (called so because she didn't actually do anything remotely like customer service) never apologized, nor did she offer anything besides, "I'll let the Assistant Manager know." Why this person was called an Assistant Manager I don't know, because I never received any kind of follow-up communications which one would reasonably expect of an Assistant Manager. Maybe Hyatt should refer to this person as "Dynamic Factors Director" since they don't actually accomplish anything that resembles management, and now their title is just as meaningless.

The next night, the room had been serviced, but when I returned after a 13-hour day at work, the television was on and blaring a basketball game. I'm wondering what housekeeping was doing in my room during service that required her to turn on my television and watch it? Osama was already dead and there were no weather warnings that afternoon. I can only assume -- in a history making move -- President Obama had just named Judge Judy to the Supreme Court.

I finally left a day early and at the first "Gallery Host" Kiosk's computer was broken and the other Gallery Host(ess?) was busy with someone else. So I hiked over to the self-service computer which would check me out, but wouldn't print a receipt. Then I hiked back over to Gallery Hostess who asked me about my stay. When I told her it didn't meet my expectations for $169 a night and that I was checking out early, she gave a half-shrug and that was it.

There are a lot of nice hotels in this area at much more reasonable rates and Hyatt needs to retrain staff before I'll give them another penny.

Property looks nice, but is on the fringe of a rough area of town and there's very little nearby of interest.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank ButchKin
Reviewed 4 May 2011

The was a great hotel and I felt right at home here. The bed was very comfy. The lounge area was spacious. It was a very good hotel for the business traveler.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 April 2011

We stayed one night at the Hyatt Place in downtown Birmingham, Alabama earlier this week, and had a fantastic experience. The hotel is located right in the heart of Birmingham, AL, smack in the middle of UAB. We'd stayed at a Hyatt Place in Salt Lake City last summer and found it practically perfect in every way, and the Birmingham location was equal to our Utah experience. They even have a fountain outside the hotel. And the breakfast was phenomenal. The only problem we had was with the parking lot (it was in another building, not free, and rather confusing to find), but that was a minor complaint. We came to Birmingham to go to the Civil Rights Institute, and this hotel was only five minutes away from our destination, so we were quite pleased.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor. It was superb.