“Good stay near UAB hospital”

SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Ranked #35 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Orlando, Florida
“Good stay near UAB hospital”
Reviewed 25 December 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night for business. Check in was easy and I received room as requested. Took bags to room and then parked car per front desk recommendations.

There is a reason they tell you to unpack first. Garage is adjacent to hotel but there is a twenty foot exposure where you could get drenched if raining. Garage felt tight but tons of spaces past 8. Felt dangerous, though. I didn't see a soul but it was eghhh.

There was some large smear on the bed skirt that I hope was vanilla ice cream that was dropped. It came of easy with wet washcloth. The bedside lamp button got stuck. I unscrewed the bulb. There were tons of plugs. There is an outlet under nightstand.

I never like the European half glass doors in the shower. Toiletries are Paul Mitchel. It felt like someone half emptied the bottles. Front desk didn't have toothpaste. Springhill is always known to have the red crest packets and red brushes. They acted like I was crazy.

Good nights rest. Two HBO channels and Guide feature let's you easily navigate TV like at home. Two blocks...quick... By car to subway and arbys. Really easy to get to pizzahut. It is less than one block.

Breakfast was weak. I was living on EST. At 6:15 food was already not fresh. Fruit was beat up. Old bananas past ripe and beat up apples.

Overall needs just a little work to be an excellent. I would stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank UofLtraveler
creativeingenuity, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, 21 January 2013
U of L traveler we are glad that your overall experience at our hotel was good, but thank you for sharing with us not only your good parts of your stay but also your bad. When we hear the good we know what we are doing right and can improve on that, and when we hear about where we missed the ball, it gives us the opportunity to improve. Thank you for taking the time to review us and know that we are looking into all of your encounters while at our hotel.

Chris Nelson and the SpringHill Suites

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed 22 December 2012

Took a chance on this hotel because it was close to our client. Good choice. Nice clean well appointed hotel with spacious rooms... at moderate prices and a short drive to two clients we needed to meet downtown. The staff was friendly and very helpful they even opened the kitchen at 11pm to make a burger for a tied and hungry traveler.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank hjb4971
HJB, I am glad to see that you chose our hotel based on location and the convenience it provided for you. While we cannot move our hotel to suit everyone’s ideal location we make up for the distance in our service. We train our staff to go above and beyond the norm to make our guests feel, appreciated, valued and like a guest of honor. It thrills me to hear about our staff taking the time to cook your burger after typical hours to make sure you are pleased. We hope your meeting with clients went well and hope to see you in BirmINgham again!

Chris Nelson and the entire SpringHill Suites Staff
North Carolina
Reviewed 8 December 2012

I recently stayed at the SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown while I was visiting the UAB campus for an interview. Overall, my stay was great. I found the front desk staff to be helpful, my room was clean and comfortable and contained a large flat-screen TV. The complimentary breakfast was substantial (cereal, yogurt, waffles, eggs, bagels, English muffins, fruit, juice, milk, etc.). They also had a small food menu from which you could order reasonably-priced casual food (individual pizza, hamburger, salad, etc.) 24/7. The fitness room contained three treadmills, two ellipticals, and one stationary bike, and there were also complimentary headphones. The hotel also has a small but nice indoor pool and a small outdoor patio with several tables and chairs. The property had a new feel.

The hotel was within a few blocks of my destination on the UAB campus and I was able to walk to my interview. There were also a few small casual restaurants (a Mexican restaurant, Subway, a Chinese restaurant with counter service) within about a block of the hotel. The overall area had somewhat of a sketchy feeling, and I tried to avoid walking by myself outside after dark.

The only problem (albeit minor) during my stay was with the complimentary airport shuttle. I had called ahead to find out how the shuttle worked, and the front desk person told me that I should just call when my flight landed at the airport and they would send the shuttle. So, when I landed at the airport, I called the hotel and was told that the shuttle would be there to pick me up in about 25 minutes. After 50 minutes, the shuttle had not yet arrived; I called the hotel back, and the shuttle then arrived within approximately 10 minutes. This did not create a big problem for me, but had I been in a hurry it might have been better to plan to take a cab. I did take the shuttle back to the airport the following day without a problem.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay and would stay there again if I return to Birmingham.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
DukeGirl,
Thank you so much for taking the time out of your schedule to tell the TripAdvisor nation about our hotel! I am glad that you found the front desk staff to be helpful, and walked in to a clean and comfortable room (as we expect). Our breakfast bar goes above and beyond the call of duty and we attempt to have something for everyone. While you did enjoy your overall hotel stay we fell short of making this a WOW experience for you due to our Airport shuttle. Thanks to your review we are evaluating our current process and working to implement a better strategy so that no one else will experience the same difficulties. Again thank you so much for your review and we hope your interviews went well and hope to see you again in Birmingham.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed 5 December 2012

My son and I arrived here on a Monday evening and checked in at the front desk being greeted by a very helpful young man who gave us several excellent dining choices all within walking distance of our hotel. We parked our car easily in the garage and went up to our room to find it clean and spacious. We walked a couple of blocks for dinner at a Mexican fast food type restaurant and then returned back to SpringHill Suites where we were greeted politely and friendly by the same front desk clerk. After taking my shower I discovered the blow dryer in our room was not working, so I called housekeeping and a friendly lady immediately brought another hair dryer to our room which worked perfect! The next morning we had a delicious breakfast which many other customers were also enjoying. At one point, the coffee ran out of one of the serving canisters, but as soon as I requested more, the staff immediately refilled it. I found all of the employees I came into contact with most helpful, friendly, and polite...sorry I do not remember names, but everyone was great! We checked out of our room and drove the short distance to UAB. This is definitely the perfect place to stay if you are in that area!!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank kathym520
KathyM520, thank you so much for taking the time to review our hotel and staff on tripadvisor, it is an honor to have guest like you take the time to tell everyone not only about our hotel but also about the surrounding area. While I hate that we overlooked the faulty hair dryer in your room, I am glad that our staff was able to remedy the situation quickly for you. We hope to see you again.

Thanks,

Chris Nelson and the entire SpringHill Suties Staff
Meridianville, Alabama
Reviewed 5 December 2012

My family and I stayed there at the end of November and we were impressed with the great customer service, cleanliness of the hotel, and amenities. The hotel is conveniently located near some restaurants and is about 6-7 blocks away from the UAB Campus. Check-in was a breeze. Staff was very pleasant and helpful. Parking is right next door in a covered parking garage and is $10 per day. There is metered parking out front and after 6:00 P.M. M-F and on weekends it is free. Rooms are furnished nicely. Bathroom was a little tight but still manageable. Breakfast was awesome. They offered both hot and cold breakfast and unlike most hotels there was plenty of seating in the breakfast area. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Room walls are fairly thick. We didn't hear any noise from within the hotel. We were facing the...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TMan3032
TMAN and Family, We areso glad that your family was pleased with your stay here in November! We strive to provide great customer service, cleanliness, and all the amenities you can imagine. I am glad that our location was great for your family and we are very conveniently located near restaurants, and fastfood in fact we have 12 options within 3 blocks, and over 30 within 6 blocks. Next time you are in Birmingham we will gladly open the doors wide and welcome your family back in. Safe Travels,

Chris Nelson and the entire SpringHill Suites Staff!
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 28 October 2012 via mobile

This hotel has a great location, great rooms, and good breakfast in the morning. You might be able to enjoy these things if you could get past the bad customer service. From the cleaning staff to the receptionist (danielle). It was obvious that not only did they not want to be there, but they were not well versed in marriott hotels policy. All in all, the items mentioned above balanced my experience but there is potential for so much more here.

• Stayed October 2012
creativeingenuity, Front Office Manager at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and while I am glad to see that your overall stay was good, you mentioned having issues with staff. I would love to speak with you to learn more about your experience. Please give me a call at 205-706-7477 so we can discuss how we can improve our team to make sure everyone that stays has and excellent trip.

Chris Nelson
Director of Sales
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Quality customer service upon arrival! Front desk staff very impressive and impeccably dressed. They are very polite, and extremely efficient. Rooms were clean and breakfast (included) was very good. Staff at breakfast kept area clean and stacked. Parking is $10 in garage next door. Rooms were large with nice sitting area.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
creativeingenuity, Director of Sales at SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, 30 October 2012
Yankee-Peddler, thanks you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor and letting everyone know about your stay. I am glad that our hotel was able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Thanks from all of us at the SpringHill Suites Birmingham Downtown