“Good location, pet friendly”

Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Ranked #53 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Stayed one night on a road trip. Staff was friendly and helpful. Rooms were basic, no frills. Clean. Breakfast was all we needed. Beds were not real comfortable.
Was adequate for our needs. Close to restaurants, necessity stores and Starbucks.
Great local diner nearby that a previous reviewer recommended Irondale cafe about 2 miles away. Great freeway access.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 April 2013

The Good
Great location, close to restaurants, stores, gas stations and the interstate highways.

The Bad
I left the room at 9:00am for my business meeting, returned by 6:00pm and the room was not cleaned. Housekeeping had already left for the day.
The business center is in the same room as the free breakfast. it is a very small room(very small) and there is very little privacy if you are trying to do business.
The beds were not very comfortable.

You are paying a price for a good hotel location, and that's about it.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Wynner7
Reviewed 8 April 2013

They have the best rates in Birmingham for sure. This is right by Irondale and relatively close to the airport. (The Whistle Stop Cafe in Irondale is less than a mile away. That is a must visit. Do you like fried green tomatoes? Then this is where they are at their best. It's home style buffet eating.)
The Inn and grounds are clean and well maintained. The staff is friendly and helpful. The continental was fair to good. The eggs were from a carton instead of a chicken. Rather bland. The waffle batter is too runny. They could pay more attention to the breakfast area and food. It causes them to not get a "very good". The A/C units are very quiet.

Room Tip: Book on the web and confirm via the phone.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Chose this hotel specifically because it had an airport shuttle. Ignored what seemed to be cigarette burn marks on the bed spread, threw away the trash that was in the floor beside the bed, frowned when I saw the stains on the desk chair, pulled out my own night light when the one in the hair dryer in the bathroom didn't work...got the wake up call for my 6:30 shuttle and made it down to the breakfast room with 15 minutes to spare. Could see the shuttle parked out front...all good. No bananas, no peanut butter, no hard boiled eggs so made oatmeal. Then started chatting with the front desk guy (Jamal) only to find out the driver for the shuttle had NOT arrived. Jamal started making phone calls to see what he should do. He was very helpful. As he was about to give a cab company the instructions to pick me as a paying customer (and I would battle it out with Comfort Inn later) the manager came in the front door and gave Jamal permission to drive me to the airport. I made my flight with 10 minutes to spare...thanks to Jamal...or this review would be even worse!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

The desk personnel were professional and handled their job adequately. Upon arriving in our room, we found a soiled wash cloth in a corner near the entrance and the bathroom smelled of cigarette smoke (a non smoking room). The carpet had tiny pieces of chain and glitter and appeared not to have been vacuumed. The TV worked properly and the beds were comfortable. It was chilly so we turned on the heat. It smelled like something was burning but warmed the room. For awhile. Then it stopped heating. Fortunately the blankets kept us warm. The breakfast buffet left much to be desired. Fruit flies in the bread/bagel box and cereal canisters empty. Fortunately I like yogurt, which held me over until we made it to chik fila for my daughter to get something to eat. It was a perfect location for us and there is a great thrift store nearby and lots of shopping and restaurants. Not sure if I would stay there again though.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 3 October 2012

We've stayed at the hotel in the past because the other Choice Hotels property off Grants Mill is atrocious. The price is about right for the hotel and the room and bed were decent. The side entry door lock was broken and that was a concern. Never eat breakfast here, so can't comment on that. Registration was easy, helpful, and courteous.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Stayed on cross country trip having just picked up my two dogs in addition to the one I already had with me. Chose this hotel as it was pet friendly ($20 per pet...ouch) and near the airport as I was retrieving my husband there for the remainder of my drive. The room felt so damp but I initially attributed it to the humidity in AL. After going out for food and gas, I returned and kicked off my sandals. The floor felt damp all over. I went to the front desk becuase I thought that the water heater (the manager said it was being worked on) which seemed to by outside my room (repairman there) may have popped. He came back to the room with me and explained that the carpets had just been shampooed that day and that it wasn't really wet, just seemed that way. He offered to move me to one of the other pet friendly rooms but they had all been shampooed and I did not see the point. I decided to keep my room and he offered to remove the pet fee which I thought was a very nice gesture. The bed was comfortable and the morning breakfast was nice. So, despite the fact that the room and carpet felt damp, it was still a good stay. I realize things sometimes happen and the management did make it fair so I am happy with the deal.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ArmyLori
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Quality Inn
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Birmingham-Hoover, AL
Days Inn Galleria-Birmingham
Days Inn Galleria-Birmingham
#46 of 80 in Birmingham

Been to Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale? Share your experiences!