“Sub par”

Ranked #53 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Jacksonville, Alabama, United States
“Sub par”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

I love Choice Hotels and I've stayed at many Comfort Inns, but this one was just not up to snuff. We only stayed one night due to the hotel's proximity to Trinity hospital where my wife was having surgery the following morning. We checked in around 6pm and had to wait about 20 minutes at the front desk because there were three other parties in front of us. The gentleman at the front desk was very pleasant, but SLOW. We had reserved a King room, non-smoking. He informed me that our room would be on the third floor and half the floor was smoking/half non-smoking. So he said, "you will smell smoke when you get off the elevator." He wasn't kidding...it was very smokey. Anyway, it would not have been a problem once we were in the room. Opened up the room and it was like a sauna. Probably 90 degrees in there. My wife tinkered with the A/C but it wasn't happening. We went back downstairs and the nice gentleman at the front desk did give us another room, however it was on the first floor VERY near the check-in desk. So close, in fact, that the room was very noisy with foot traffic. Also, this room was two queens instead of a King.

I was going to chalk it up as just 'one of those things that happens' but the next morning getting in the shower, the tub had black mold around the molding. And the hotel certainly isn't located in a good safe neighborhood.

Again, I love choice hotels but this one was sub par. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alan R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Liverpool, New York
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I got stuck in Birmingham because of flight issues. So I picked the Comfort Inn because they supposedly had a shuttle service. They paid for my taxi to and from the airport. The room was fine, there is a refrigerator which is always a plus. Nothing special but I was up and out before 6:30 am so it was just a place to rest my head for the night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Grafton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Needed to be near the Barber Motorsports Park. Indifferent front-desk staff seemed like they had mental problems. Filthy elevator. Nothing but sweet packaged food for breakfast and coffee that tasted like crankcase drippings. They forgot to clean my room one day, and were stunned when I complained about it.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 19 March 2014

It was 3 in the morning, I was tired and stressed out. there was a very nice and helpful young man at the front desk name Jamal who made my stay stress free. even though there was a problem with the room maintenance, before I could call and report the problem the guy at the front desk called the room to check on me and my room status and because he did, I didn't complain. one thing I didn't like was that on my 3 day stay, every time I came in and out the front door or down to eat breakfast , there was a short guy whom later on I found out was the manager with a comfort inn uniform on smoking all the time and I hate smoke plus that was not good for my kids to see coming into a business setting. based on the way I was treated by the front desk person and the good breakfast, sure, ill stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Ormond Beach, Florida
Reviewed 28 October 2013

One-night stay, Saturday, Oct. 26, 2013. Two second floor rooms with two queen beds each, four 40-something guys from Florida on a quick Bama football adventure. I must've been looking at the wrong Comfort Inn when I booked - thought I saw 4.5 stars but clearly mistaken. Called when we arrived at Birmingham airport to let them know we'd be arriving late and to make sure they would hold our rooms. Nice enough guy took the call (after about 27 rings) and assured me they would hold our rooms until 2 a.m., if needed. As it was, we arrived about 10 pm after a very long day of traveling, tailgating and SEC football craziness and were worn out. Any earlier (or less tired) and we probably would've tried to switch hotels. It was easy to spot as we got off the interstate - we just followed the lights of the emergency vehicles in their parking lot, which was full. Never a good sign. Might've just been a simple heart attack, but based on the general surroundings, a drug overdose or stabbing is more likely. No cops though, so probably no big deal. I went in to check us in and was greeted by a nice enough guy (probably the same one) who quickly got me our keys. He apologized that our rooms were not adjacent, saying that it was a very busy weekend for them. We found out the next day that there was a big local college rivalry football game in Birmingham that weekend, which filled the place. The lobby was the only part of the whole place that seemed clean. Hallways, elevator and rooms were worn, shabby and not very well lit (good strategy on their part). Room 210 had everything we needed - beds, TV, working shower and toilet - and the beds were comfortable. Still, when the rest of the place seems grimy, it's hard not to think what condition the bedding might be in. The room was stuffy and smelled moldy so we fired up the wall AC unit - mistake. Air smelled like it was blowing through a bag of opossum socks and SoulGlo, so we settled for stuffy and moldy. Again, we were tired, it was late, the front desk manager was busy and the place was full, so we didn't even bother complaining. Our other room (222) was in much the same condition, but the AC worked fine. I went down to the business center to print our boarding passes for the morning flight. Front desk was empty but the manager appeared right away and gave me the password for the one computer in the breakfast/business/common area. Again, poorly lit, which is why I didn't realize the keyboard was covered in some sticky substance. I told myself it was probably just syrup, since the breakfast bar was just 10 feet away. Printer ran out of ink after one boarding pass, so I just went back to the room. The shower worked okay, but the hot-cold controller was broken and a little tricky to use. Hotels can't do much about their guests, but the place was full of happy football fans and we all were awakened a number of times by screams, banging and other mildly alarming noises. My 3 fellow travelers were down for the breakfast buffet around 6:30 Sunday morning (along with the sadly typical bedheaded, pajama-wearing, fuzzy slippered, bathrobe crowd), but there was no way I was going to roll the dice. Based on the rest of the hotel, I can't imagine what shape the kitchen must've been in. My friends had coffee, bagels and some suspicious-looking eggs without triggering any major gastrointestinal episodes. The whole experience was just too creepy and I surely wouldn't stay there again. But if you do, and you see a single Alabama winter glove in the parking lot, don't touch it. (Long story.)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kevin H
avator, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale, responded to this review, 2 November 2013
Thank you for your review and I am sorry for your unpleasant experience. Due to the long review, I would like to keep my points pertinent to those issues that are hotel related.
As I am sure you are aware, a hotel operators goal is to have 100% capacity, which is what we had that weekend due to the football game. Because of this, our parking lot was full. Our lot is maintained only for hotel customers and we do not allow outside parking for other events. ( not sure if this is true or not, so if not, leave out what i wrote in red) I spoke with the manager on the night shift and he cannot confirm that there was any type of incident in the parking lot that required emergency vehicles. If there were, I apologize but this is unfortunately something that is beyond my control as to any type of emergency situation from an outside factor. Our hallways and elevators are well lit and we have never had an issue with them before but I will certainly address if there are any lightbulbs out, etc ( I don'tknow...just bs through that one). The rooms have all been recently updated with new bedding, tv's and (whatever else you can mention). The bedding is washed and changed daily. I went to room 210 after you had left and turned on the a/c to find nothing wrong with it or any type of mold. We have called in our maintenance crew though to look at it after your complaint. The breakfast area was indeed full, but again due to the fact that we were at capacity. We have a very popular hot full cooked breakfast in which we order only quality meats & foods for this breakfast. I apologize if they did not sit well with your stomach. We had our housekeeping thoroughly clean the business center and hotel after this weekend... And as with any establishment that serves food, we have a clean kitchen that is monitored by the health department. We do not discriminate in the travelers we accommodate so again my apologies if the crowd wasn't to your liking. It is one of our most popular football weekends and Choice Hotels cater to the needs of any type of traveler. Again I want to thank you for staying with us
New Hyde Park, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2013

An absolute disgrace!! I can not tell you how much I am fuming as I am writing this complaint.
For two days in a row our rooms were not cleaned. The laundry dryer even after 3 cycles the clothing remained wet. We suggest you change to gas dryer and not electric.
We ended having to stay an additional 4 hours in hotel as we move the wet clothe outside. Only one garbage can exist in the room. Prior to making a reservation we requested for a safe to be present which it was not and then the manager said,"because they were under construction the safe was not in" which that seemed like such a lame excuse and we were not allowed to put items in their office as some hotels to compensate.
What's the worse is being accused of lying. The OWNER MR JACK ( I think that his name)
accused us of lying about our rooms being messy. Now here's where it gets good. We decided to stay one extra day and we went to the OWNER MR JACK to extend our stay and inform about our issue with having our room not cleaned from the day before and the issue with the dryer. He took our reservations and we were in the system however when we came back later that night to the hotel we could not open the door as he never reactivated our key card. We went to front desk to complain and she fixed our key card so it will open , then we went back to the room to find out that once again the room was not cleaned at which time we had the front dest lady call MR JACK about this issue and he told her to go to room to check the situation which she confirmed that indeed it was not cleaned. The following day Mr Jack tells us that according to his records that room was cleaned and we messed it up and accuse me and my family of lying and on camera he has it show that some cleaned which he could not reproduce. And he was so rude that he said I can take this complaint to "the supreme court" or "white house". He was so unprofessional, rude, obnoxious, and stay away from this place as any issue will be ignored, or worse you'll be blamed for it!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
avator, General Manager at Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
avator, Director of Sales at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review
August 13, 2013
We here at the Comfort Inn Airport thrive everyday to take care of our Guest and Their needs. We take pride in making sure every room is serviced everyday that our guest are here. Guidelines are set when it comes to the level of service to the rooms, here is what is done when it comes to the Housekeeping. Sheets and Pillow cases are changed everyday day. new coffee, coffee pots cleaned, new cups, all trash is removed and new can liners are put in. Carpets are Vacuumed bathtubs and toilet are cleaned everyday. sinks are cleaned, when it comes to counter tops, desk tops and activity table are cleaned as long as there are no personal belongings ( jewelry, Laptops, books and clothing ) are not on them. Housekeepers are not allowed to touch or remove anything belonging to the Guest. The level of Service is set with a minimum and a maximum set level and we Here at the Comfort Inn push everyone to do the Maximum, Professionalism is a must in the Hotel Industry, But even the Most professorial Manager can be push way beyond their limits. When a Guest responds to a Manager with bad language, Ultimatums and nasty Demands, The Manager must Respond back to protect other Guest and Employees and The Integrity of the Hotel. We do not like to see reviews other then good ones and we do know sometimes that 30% of Guest all over the Country have had some kind of problem with a Hotel they have stayed in. Even Me. The Reviews that are posted are there to help Guest know what is wrong with any particulate hotel and its surrounding area they want to stay in. And they are for us Hotel Managers and Owner to push to be the best in the Area. So before Reviews can be taken seriously Every consumer should check out the Hotel themselves, Call the Hotel. Go to the Hotel, Ask for currant photos. We rely on Guest to write Reviews that are true and Accurate for all Consumers to see, But Please do not rely on one or two untrue Reviews
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 9 July 2013

We were greeted with a smile and compitent service. I noted a security gaurd in the lobby/ dining area (felt safer). Then the room: gum on the elevator, greasy fingerprints on every knob and fringe, urine on toilet seat, dirty feet prints in the tub, splashes of mystery items on bathroom door, crumbs on desk and chair, debris on floor, and splashes on the bedroom wall (dried champaign?).

The sheets looked fresh, I do recommend bringing your own just in case...

This is longterm accumulation of filth. The maids just lightly touch but dont clean. By the way, this was the second room I was assigned, the first was similar.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheri S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Quality Inn
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#46 of 79 in Birmingham
Hampton Inn Birmingham / Leeds, AL

Been to Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale? Share your experiences!