“Execellent place to spend your afternoon”

Civil Rights District
Ranked #15 of 95 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: The neighborhood that was the center of the 1960s Civil Rights Movement is now a historic district with the Birmingham Civil Rights Institute at its center.
Reviewed 28 March 2014

My family and I toured the district. We first went to 16 th street Baptism church! the to the National Civil Rights Institute then the park across the street! There is also a walking tour at the park across the street. This district is very educational, my family,and I learned a ton of things about this historical district.

1  Thank TonifromOhio

Reviewed 20 January 2014

MLK Jr. Day, 2014 we drove to Birmingham for historical perspective and we found it here. Our first stop was the Civil Rights Institute which is a spectacular museum. Next we visited the basement of the 16th Street Baptist Church, the location of so much more than the event that galvanized the nation, the September 15, 1963 bombing. Lastly, we visited the Kelly Ingram Park which was once the location of police brutality against protestors but not contains sculptures memorializing the Civil Rights Movement. I'm of the opinion that the Civil Rights District is a must for any travel to Birmingham. Parents would do well to arrange a visit for their children during their school studies of 1960's American History.

4  Thank kkibby43
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Very informative and very painful to review that time period. I wish all those issues were resolved. The initial film was very informative and we spent a lot of time to review the exhibits.

2  Thank Chesteen S
Reviewed 8 July 2013

How soon we forget and it takes a visit to this area to remember the indecencies and tragedies that occurred. You can follow the civil rights movements chronologically,

2  Thank MIAMISHEILA
Reviewed 26 June 2013

the civil rights museum takes you back to the time of pain for this city, but now you can marvel in the advanced awakening of the community with the recognition of the people who died and open doors for all the world to see. the "Jim Crow" people are still here trying to hide behind "fake" smiles that don't mean a thing. "But Still I Rise".

2  Thank AFRICA123ABC