“Room 411 is HUGE!”

Ranked #17 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
Orlando, Florida
“Room 411 is HUGE!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed on a Monday night for business. This was the largest room I've ever stayed in at a Residence Inn. I've only had about three other rooms anywhere that were bigger. I'm guessing about 875sf. It's clean, staff was friendly, and the AC works great.

Matt/Matthew at the front desk was very friendly and even gave me a history lesson about the Castle up on the hill. I didn't expect him giving a detailed knowledgeable answer. He told me about some other good stuff to note while driving around.

It's a more modern Residence Inn that seems refurbished or built within the last 3 years and is in good shape. There's a few spots that needed cleaning but overall it was clean enough for me to stay again. They missed a few forks and the wall right behind the trash can. This room is huge, though. Jeez! It was so big I decided to get take out and come back and hang out.

They have a laminated TV channel guide by each TV which is always great. They had Showtime instead of HBO but that was a welcome change since I have HBO Go on my phone anyway. The TV isn't full on HD but it comes in nice and clear.

I could see where the parking lot could be bad at night. I got in early at about 6pm and it was still light out and plenty of spots. There were three staff members so I could see them accommodating if someone wanted assistance in the scattered lot at night. It was close to Five Points which apparently has a lot of decent restaurants.

The breakfast was scattered. The hot food wasn't all together. The fruit was in a corner covered in plastic wrap, the eggs were by the water station, the forks were by the wall, and everything just all over. I really wanted to love it since I haven't seen bacon at a Marriott free breakfast in years but just ended up grabbing a muffin and bacon. When I went back for a napkin after eating I found what would have been the other half of my meal. It really is too disorganized.

Overall, I would stay again and recommend to a friend.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We stayed for two nights to go to an Alabama game. The staff was amazingly helpful. We got a late start our first day and called to say we would be late. We ended up getting in at 3am and the woman and young man at the front desk were great and we had no issues. The room was clean and spacious. We were surprised at how nice the room was considering the good price. The bed was comfortable. The shower was clean and had good water pressure. We will definitely be staying when we go to our next game.

• Stayed September 2013
Opelika, Alabama
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Great weekend stay! My wife treated me to a weekend stay at this hotel for my 63rd birthday. Very convenient to eateries and the college campus (if needed). Very comfortable & clean room (King suite). Also, a good free breakfast is always a plus. The two things that kept me from giving 5-stars is that both the bedroom & bathroom doors were noisy. One needed the hinges lubricated (too squeaky!) and the other swung back against the towel rack, creating a banging sound. The other drawback was the maid had not gotten around to our room after leaving several times. At about 3:30 pm we decided to wrap up all trash and place it outside our door and then personally pick up a few clean towels. That worked out!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Went to Birmingham for a wedding. Stayed at this property because it was close to all wedding activities. Was impressed .. very clean, neat and comfortable. Large studio may be superior to one-bedroom suite. Good king mattress. Excellent staff with just one minor exception. The Saturday breakfast was good but a little late. The orange juice was not brought out until 1/2 hour after the breakfast was supposed to start. But on Sunday morning everything was up to snuff.

Would definitely stay here again.

note: the parking was fine but I think a little overpriced. Maybe they could consider lower weekend rates when the downtown area is more empty than during the week.

Room Tip: We stayed on the parking lot side facing north near the elevator (Room 313) .. very quiet and the su...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Advance, North Carolina
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We were in town for a wedding, and I have to say the Marriott Birmingham Downtown was the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in! The view of the skyline of downtown Birmingham was breathtaking, and the rooms were up-to-date with the latest amenities - granite counters, large refrigerator, clean sofa & chair, well-stocked kitchenette, great large-screen tv, clean bathroom, and a comfortable bed. The staff was extremely friendly and efficient, and the morning breakfast offerings were tasty. We couldn't have been more pleased! This was our first trip to Alabama, but it won't be our last.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This hotel seems to be geared toward disabled-accessible... which is fine. It was easily navigable and the 2 bedroom suites were spacious, clean, and comfortable. The hotel was a bit on the pricey side for Birmingham, but it is centrally located and extremely accommodating. The breakfast was ample, not spectacular. The parking gets tight, but it is on site and included in the price of the room. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JKTraveler11
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 August 2013

If you need to get to any of UABs clinics, this hotel is a short walk to some of these. If you are going on vacation, the scenery is not much to talk about..it's slap bang in the middle of the city, on a hill no less, which makes parking and driving tedious.
However, the staff were amazingly friendly and helpful and the rooms were clean. I stayed here for business on and off over 10months and the Wifi worked great. The TV however, does not get signal when bad weather arrives. 3 nights a week they have a dinner & wine spread.. which was convenient.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business