“Comfortable, Friendly, Attractive” 5 of 5 bubbles

Residence Inn Birmingham Downtown at UAB
Ranked #19 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
“Comfortable, Friendly, Attractive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Second stay here. Hotel is very clean and attractive. Staff is friendly and helpful. Location is great, easy to get to UAB, restaurants. Highly recommend that you consider staying here when in Birmingham.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

We had a nice stay at this hotel recently. The rooms look new and are well designed with granite counter tops and updated furnishings. We had a problem with the housekeeping staff in that they came very late in the day after we had made a point to be out most of the day and they were cleaning the room next door when we left in the morning. Also I left my electric razor in the room by mistake and after calling to have them look for it they could not locate it.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Winter Garden, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 6 nights and had guests from all over the country staying for our daughter's wedding. Kimberly Clark, sales manager handled all requests efficiently and pleasantly. Mathew and Stacie at the front desk always greeted us and were always helpful. The entire staff was gracious. The breakfast buffet was delicious. The rooms were large, very clean and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed here for five nights while in town for a wedding. Could not have asked for a better place to call home - and everyone else who stayed here as well agreed! Sales Manager Kimberly executed everything we could have asked for with a smile and cheerful, helpful attitude. Stacey at the front desk (and really, everyone else we encountered) went above and beyond with infectious smiles and great recommendations. Breakfasts were great! Rooms were spacious and clean and had everything we needed! Computers and printers in the business center actually functioned! (A rarity at hotels, I assure you.) Location was perfect - loved walking to some of my favorite restaurants in Five Points! (Don't know where to go? Ask anyone at the front desk and they'll be happy to point you in a few good directions.)

My only complaint was that there was some roadwork happening outside that made it a little noisy at times - but this is hardly the fault of the hotel.

I would highly recommend this property, whether it be for business, vacation, or wedding week stays!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I had hesitated for a long time about publicizing this issue, but I think that guests need to be aware of it, and perhaps it is more common at ALL hotels, and I am just not aware of it.

I always take my netbook when we travel and use it a great deal. We stayed at this Marriott a few days, and in fact had stayed here before. On day two we got up and got our day started, and I turned on my computer and began to check email and look at other work. Then my computer crashed. Simply went down and crashed. We had appointments with doctors that day, and puzzled, I simply turned off my netbook and left. When we returned I tried to recover my work, to my open my browser, and get my computer going again. The only screen I could obtain was the screen telling me to uninstall and then re-install everything. When I took my computer to Geek Squad a few days later, I was told that a very destructive virus had gotten into my computer at the hotel and everything -- everything, apps, work, home-page, everything -- was lost. The computer has not worked well since, and it is a fairly new, top-of-the-line, well-known brand netbook. This has never happened to me before, but it was clearly an issue connected with the WiFi service at the Residence Inn.

This might be a common problem; however, my husband and I travel a lot, and I always use my netbook at every hotel where we stay -- and we stay at Marriott properties most often. I would like to hear if this has happened to other folks. It proved to be a very expensive computer crash.

We thoroughly enjoy the Residence Inn hotels and try to stay at one when we are staying somewhere more than just overnight. We like ALL the Marriott properties, but this has really scared me off in case it is a terrible flaw in the internet service Marriott offers or just this hotel. This hotel is pleasant and clean and very comfortable and the staff is extremely helpful, and I would normally recommend it to everybody -- this is why this incident devastated me.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Mount Juliet, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013 via mobile

We were in town for a conference and stayed 2 nights. Our room was 622...on a corner so lots of windows! It was a 1 bedroom suite with tons of space!! The living room was terrific with the fireplace!! The hotel staff assisted us with taxis...very helpful!The free breakfast offered many choices...items are scattered about but I thought that helped with crowd control. We ate wings from Wings around the Corner...got them "to go" so we could watch sports at night. Would definitely return to this hotel if at UAB again!!!

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

One of the cleanest rooms I've ever stayed in! Beautifully decorated, friendly staff, very comfortable. Great location. Cheaper than Highlands Hotel and NICER. WILL be back if staying in downtown Birmingham again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Susan S, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Birmingham Downtown at UAB, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you for for writing such a nice review of our hotel! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We agree...we think we have the cleanest rooms in Birmingham! I have shared your comments with our Housekeeping and other hotel staff. It's great to hear that you recommend us. Please stay with us again if you do return to Birmingham!!