“Overall bad experience.”

Ranked #48 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Atlanta, Georgia
“Overall bad experience.”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

When I arrived at the hotel there was a long line at the desk. Only one person working with the phones ringing off the hook. After I finally got in I received my roon key with no direction to my room. The numbering at this hotel is crazy. When I got to the room and and lugging my stuff up the stairs the room key wouldn't work. So put my stuff in the car went back waited in line again she rescaned my key and I headed back lugged my stuff up again still didnt work. Headed back to the office, waited in line again and she gave me a new key. Went back, still didnt work went back and waited AGAIN!! Gave me a new room told me it was on the same side lugged my stuff up again room was on opposite side ugh!! Finalky got into my room one hour and fifteen min later. Room stunk, had a musky smell, had to flush the toilet because there was stool left. Bed very uncomfortable and the comforter just kept sliding off so I couldn't get warm. Overall, just a bad experience. Oh and went to the grab and go breakfast, started at 6 went at 6:15 there was only oatmeal and one granola bar.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Kerry M
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Perimeter Park South, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Thank you for providing us with details about your stay. I am so disappointed that you had an overall bad experience. It's unfortunate that you had to wait in a long line to check-in, as no one likes to wait for a room after a long day of travel. It's also upsetting to hear that your room smelled musty when our goal is to have fresh rooms, we would surely have moved you to an alternate room if you so desired. We will do a better job of making sure our Grab-and-Go breakfast does not run out at any time in the morning as well. Please accept my apology. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am making sure our front desk has working key cards for you the first time you go to the room.

We continually work to improve our hotel, so I really appreciate you providing us with your feedback. I invite you to contact me, at hw2@extendedstay.com, if you have any additional comments. We do hope you will choose to stay with us again so we can have the opportunity to provide you with a better experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The prices are awesome. The staff is really friendly. They have a free breakfast in the morning that consists of fruit, granola bars, oatmeal and muffins. The staff is great and you cannot beat the price especially if you have to stay for about a week because you do get a discount. The only downside was that the people across the hall from me fell asleep while cooking and the fire alarms went off and we had to go outside. But that is not the fault of the hotel....it is the fault of the people who stay there being a little irresponsible.

Room Tip: I was downstairs and it will still quiet. No problems. All rooms are nonsmoking I believe.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Thank you for posting such an awesome review, to use your words. I am glad to read that you were pleased with our friendly staff and free breakfast. I'm also happy to hear you enjoyed our low rates for extended stays, although we do have a low nightly rate as well.

Antelope Valley, CA
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I've stayed at this property several times when it as Homestead Suites. Within two and half miles after turning right onto Highway 280, you will find many restaurants and stores. You can buy fresh fruit and vegetables at the Publix market. Avoid the morning and afternoon commuter traffic on 280.

There are two restaurants within steps of the hotel. Surin280 features a menu full of delectable Thai and Japanese food. You can watch sports at The Tilted Kilt. A Cracker Barrel is not far.

On this trip in mid-September 2013, my wife and I experienced a few problems which were quickly remedied by the polite, friendly staff. We traded a defective iron for a good working iron. The office staff quickly replaced the missing hair drier. The maintenance man offered to
repair the defective electrical outlet in the bathroom.

I turned off my computer several times because of the slow internet connection. We had to buy hangers at Walmart as there were none in our closet. There was a bit of dust on the bathroom fixtures.

We loved the comfortable, firm bed. We awoke refreshed and pain free. Pillows varied in size and firmness. The colors and flooring of our clean, fresh room reminded us of home. There wasn't hint of tobacco stink to despoil our experience.

I love sports, but I would have traded a few ESPNs for a couple of movie channels. We caught one good movie on Showtime.

We liked the full kitchen and large refrigerator. It allowed my wife to cook up breakfast and dinner. The refrigerator kept our fruit, snacks, my beer cold.

At night, we walked around the hotel for exercise. We discovered a family of cats and a raccoon that live in the creek next to the hotel. The terrain is hilly, so we got a good workout.

The hotel staff, from the front desk, to the maintenance guy, to the house keepers were professional, polite, and helpful. They personified southern hospitality. Aside from a few minor glitches, we enjoyed our stay and will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that had been remodeled. An overpowering, musty odor drove us out of the first room w...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for posting a review of our property. We are excited to know you loved our comfortable and firm beds. It is also good to hear that our room colors and flooring of your clean and fresh room reminded you of home. I'm also glad to hear that your wife was able to do some cooking with the assistance of our full kitchen and refrigerator. The fact that we exemplified southern hospitality for you means we have succeeded.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

One sentence is "I love this hotel and the great staff!" Please stay and see for yourself and you too will be impressed. The rates are great for the quality of service and I felt like I was staying at a resort 5 star hotel. There hotel is worth so much more than they charge.

• Stayed September 2013
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Perimeter Park South, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
Thank you for your glowing review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you loved our hotel and our rates. Also, I am pleased to hear that you found our staff to be courteous and friendly.

Foley, Alabama
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I went and stayed one night at the hotel and the exact same problem I had back in October I had again... I shouldn't have hair in the tub and on the bathroom floor TWICE... That's ridiculous... Oh and you better pay with a card because the cashier shorted me $10... I didn't go through my papers until I got home... So I called the hotel that night and spoke with someone... She said she would have manager call me. I waited all day. He didn't call me until I gave his hotel a 7 on their website. In so many words he basically said I was lying about the $10. I mean I kno its only $10, but it was mine... He said he would refund me, but today made a week I checked out from there and haven't seen anything...

• Stayed September 2013
The feedback provided in your review is much appreciated. I sincerely apologize that you found hair in your tub and on the bathroom floor. I discussed your comments with the team, and we are triple-checking all of our floors for any possible remaining hair in the bathroom area to prevent this in the future. As we discussed on the phone earlier, we took your word on the missing $10 and mailed it the day we found out and we are sorry you had to go through that.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention and we plan on your third time and future stays at our hotel to be great stays should you return. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Ellijay, Georgia
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This facility will be fine if you are a smoker. Our non smoking room reeked of stale smoke. AC smelled of stale smoke as well. Carpet was worn with chunks laying around on the floor. Bathroom worked fine. Service is very good.

Room Tip: If you want non smoking, ask for a room that has always been non smoking. This hotel had a former li...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brother-Bobs
Baltimore
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I'm the leader of a large group who were on our way to Jackson MS doing a Civil Rights tour - 13 teens and adults. We had a snafu about the booking (rooms and dates wrong - something got lost in the conversation!) but it was clearly settled by Scott and we didn't look back. Breakfast at the mini-bar at the lobby is more than adequate to get you going; beds and rooms are excellent; no 'dodgy' customers around. With teens, you might feel that we were going to have a hard time, but we were put as close together as possible (despite the snafu about the booking) and it worked out fine. 2 nights and we'd stay again... Great job!.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Birmingham - Perimeter Park South, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Glenda - Thank you for your glowing review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our grab-and-go breakfast as well as your rooms. I am very sorry that there was an error with your original reservation; however, it is great to know that our staff easily corrected it, and in a timely manner. We hope you all enjoyed the civil rights tour!