“Just alright”

TownePlace Suites Birmingham Homewood
Ranked #42 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Nothing really terrible associated with my stay in this facility. Would probably stay here again based on my corporate policies. However, the facility is a little worn and appears to get heavy use. The staff was friendly. The breakfast was fine. For the price-point, it is a good value.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jordan C
There are newer reviews for TownePlace Suites Birmingham Homewood

Reviewed 27 July 2013

The rooms are spacious and comfortable. I was there with a group of people with disabilities, and they were well able to accommodate our group. The free breakfast is standard hotel fare and very crowded. They have a "grab and go" feature whereby you can pick up your breakfast and simply head out. Friendly, helpful staff; clean rooms. There are several chain restaurants nearby. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Twanna H, General Manager at TownePlace Suites Birmingham Homewood, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Hi DaytonDave,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay! I appreciate the headline about our really nice rooms. I will see if we can make breakfast a little more accomadating for your next stay. Let us know when you will be coming back so I can say hi in person.

Keith McCabe

Reviewed 7 July 2013

I booked the 2 bedroom handicap accessible room on the ground floor. When we got there it was still occupied. Something to do with the person in that room was supposed to be transported to a hospital or something like that. We had five adults. So Twanna Hill the GM gave us 2 rooms across from each other. Mine was handicap accesible. She gave us credit for the 2 bedroom and did not charge for the other 2 rooms. She was very apologetic and very nice. We did not find anything wrong with our rooms. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Judi R
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Anyone who complains about this hotel needs to consider that this is not a full Marriott, Renaissance or even a Courtyard but an economy type hotel in the Marriott family. I paid just over $100 for one of their 2 bedroom suites with 1 bathroom and compared to other economy hotels that I have stayed in in the past, it was totally acceptable. Of course some of the room furniture needs updating but for the price, I can live with that deficiency. The free breakfast was typical of these types of hotels, many of which are more pricey. If you are looking for something superior and are willing to pay more, go ahead. This one worked for me.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 21 June 2013

Platinum member of Marriott and stay 75+ times a year at Marriott properties. My wife kids me that we stay at top places and not motel 3's. This is a motel 3.
1) Did not honor top floor request as Platinum member
2) One bath towel in room at check in.
3) No cups in room
4) Cockroach in bathroom.
5) Closed cont. breakfast 35 minutes early one day, no attendant another day without coffee, waffles, orange juice, bagels and room was a mess. 15 minutes and no one replaced or even was in area.
6) Broken lock on gate to pool. No sign, finally left gate open. Children in area and no security on pool.
7) No ink in printer to do boarding passes and none available to replace.
8) Took old soap and shampoo and did not leave replacements.
9) Paper thin walls and just not clean. Spill in elevator was there for two days.

Room Tip: Try building two - heard it was newer
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael B
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This hotel has recently been renovated. It is near several restaurants and a Wal-Mart. The only downside is the internet in the hotel is terrible!!! We had better luck hooking up to the Lowe's free wifi from across the street than we did to the hotel's network!!!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We recently stayed at the property. This was our first time at this hotel. This is a big property, 2 separate buildings.

First, the positives. Convenient location just off I-65 with plenty of amenities in the general area. The overall exterior appears in good shape and when you walk in you notice a recent update. Unlike some other TownePlace properties, they have a nice breakfast area. The staff we encountered were friendly.

We get checked in and head to our 1st floor room, which has been recently updated. So, after spending a few hours in the room and sleeping in the bed, here are our observations:
1. The walls are thin. We could hear normal conversation from outside and in the next room.
2. The mattress needs replacing. I woke up with a sore back, which did not bode well for the 500 miles we had to drive.
3. Light on furnishings. One side of the bed had no nightstand. They had eliminated the TV stand and had just a wall mount TV. Nothing with a drawer for clothing, etc. There was shelving in the closet. It's like it was designed for 1 person.
4. The kitchen had new appliances, but a mini size range with 4 burners is silly. They touch each other. It looks like a fire hazard to me. But, since there were almost no cooking utensils, pots, or dishes in the cabinets, it probably will not be an issue.
5. The upgrades are a bit sloppy. Spattered paint, etc.

I know where the TownePlace properties sit in the Marriott hierarchy and know what to expect from a good property. This one does not quite make the grade. In the light of day you realize this property probably gets heavy use because of price point and location. The SEC baseball tourney was in town and there were a lot of cars that you could tell were there for that event. This does not seem to be a business persons property.

Would I stay again... I'd look at my other options.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Bulldog82
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Residence Inn Birmingham Homewood
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Homewood
Candlewood Suites Birmingham/Homewood
Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham / Lakeshore Drive
Best Western Plus Carlton Suites
Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southwest

Been to TownePlace Suites Birmingham Homewood? Share your experiences!