“Average hotel”

TownePlace Suites Birmingham Homewood
Ranked #46 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Staff was very friendly, everyone said hello that we encountered. Room was ok. Desk chair was split open with serious wear. The desk must have had water damage and had a huge hump right in the middle of warped paneling. Bed was comfy. Could hear neighbors very well through wall (experienced that at other Towneplace suites as well). Large fridge which was nice. Carpets needed cleaned in room. We were just passing through. Stayed on points, would likely pick a different Marriott property in the future. Wasn't anything special, but I've seen so much worse also. Parking was challenging and no entry to hotel from the rear parking which is odd.

Room Tip: We asked to be away from the pool. Other than hearing neighbors normal convo, room was quite. Rm 3...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sdog1122

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Our stay was so enjoyable! The staff was so friendly! I'm really surprised by some of these reviews, because we really loved it. The bed was super comfy, the room had all of the amenities we needed, and the shower even had great water pressure! The rooms look recently updated and are very clean. Even the shampoo/conditioner was Good quality. They also offered a free continental breakfast with fresh coffee, waffles, bagels, cereal...and the best juice I've ever tasted! I was really amazed at how nice the property was, and we really appreciated the southern hospitality that was provided to us by staff. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel was for a small group of friends needing a one night stay while in Birmingham. This place was perfect for our budget but we learned the old lesson of "you get what you pay for." The property is obviously poorly managed. Our room was not available until two hours after check in time. The front desk staff was not helpful nor apologetic. I believe that if the fault is of the hotel, you should do something to make it right. Apparently, that is not this management's belief. The room itself was average. The bathroom is placed in an odd location, right next to the main door to the room. You would think it would have been in between the two bdrms, or each bdrm have a bathroom. Also, one bdrm did not have a mirror so all 5 girls were trying to use 2 mirrors (one in bathroom and one in the other bdrm). The room did not feel welcoming at all. We sprayed Lysol on everything because it all looked sketchy. The parking was bad as well. We got back pretty late that night and there were no parking spaces. We rode around and lucked up on a space were someone was leaving. The parking lot was full of people. We couldn't figure out why so many people were hanging out in the parking lot at this time of night. We didn't feel safe at all. Something else to mention is the lack of signage for the hotel on the main street. We had GPS but was looking for a sign on the main road to let us know we were turning onto the correct street.
All in all, I will never stay at this hotel again, and only hope to deter others, or at least help others to make a better decision when needing a hotel stay in this area. But hopefully, the management will read some of the other reviews here and begin to make some changes, upgrades, and improvements!

Room Tip: Just choose another hotel to be on the safe side!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank gagirl123
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

It hurts me to write this review because I don't prefer to say anything negative about anyone or anything.With that said ; We have been to this property Several times because I believe in giving 2nd chances sometimes more just to make sure I'm not just too critical. However I keep seeing same issues and I just don't see much improvement. The owner of this property needs to remove Every piece of furniture including the carpet and curtains from this hotel. I have been in at least 6 different rooms and the furniture is ripped,or just completely worn out,some appliances dont work.the floors have huge stains and this last stay the room was not cleaned properly because there was a spoon under the desk. The staff is less than trained in customer service, their own operating system or familiarity with Elite member services and benefits.and that is not a good thing ....but they are nice.,some of them anyway. The exception would be the night shift female who is rude and I'm not quite sure why she is still there. Dont get me wrong there is maybe 1 person possibly two that is actually knowledgeable.With that said I know there are some platinum members out there who are obnoxious and demanding ; I have witnessed alot of them but we are not one of them. We are not hard to please.We do however expect some level of quality and that you have some basic knowledge.it should not be that hard. As stated before we have been here on several occasions and no we didn't report all the issues;but now I feel like it's time maybe this will get someone's attention.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Edmund W
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Stayed here with my father one night on the tail end of a week-long trip to Alabama, and what started out as a poor experience turned out great. I wish I could give it an excellent rating based on the staff alone, but there is enough room for improvement to deduct one point.

This is an extended stay property built in the style of an apartment building. It definitely feels more like an apartment complex than a hotel, but I think that is what Marriott probably had in mine when designing this brand. This property seemed well maintained, even though it did look a little dull to me.

Check-in was smooth, and we were greeted by the General Manager. Just about everyone I met on staff took pride in their work, and was willing to go above and beyond for the guests.

My father wanted to take a nap, while I decided to go out with a friend. Unfortunately, the are where this hotel fails is the soundproofing. My father was disturbed trying to nap due to loud guests on the floor above. While I was willing to move, my father wasn't but this is where the hotel saved the day. The wonderful staff spoke to our fellow guests, and they eventually quieted down. Neither my father and I, nor the other guests had to move. The staff was extremely friendly, and was willing to go the extra mile to make my father and I happy.

Breakfast wasn't bad, but wasn't special either. Small breakfast area, but nice to have.

Overall, the great staff turned what would have been a terrible experience into a great experience, and showed the hospitality I have come to expect from Marriott franchisees!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor if you are a light sleeper, as there does't seem to be much soun...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This property has all the signs of a poorly managed hotel. Overall, the staff is friendly, but they just lack attention to detail. Also, although it's surrounded by other hotels, you dont get a very safe feeling at this property. There are always people loitering outside the hotel. Getting bath towels/linens replaced was very difficult. The "continental breakfast" is nothing short of abyssmal. For that reason alone, I would not recommend this hotel. There are plenty of decent places within a half mile that you shouldnt have to suffer through the breakfast experience. If you do stay here, requests a room as high up as possible because, although it is a non-smoking property, people (including an employee we discovered) smoke in the bottom stairwell and the smoke wafts up to the rooms. Having said that, I voiced my complaints to management following the stay and they were responsive and said they would address the problems.

Room Tip: Ask for upper floors. Cigarette smoke from the ground floor stairwell can be overwhelming
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I had a good stay at this location. The lobby staff is very polite. The rooms were clean and pleasant. There are a ton of general food and shopping areas surrounding the area. You are only about 10 minutes away from downtown. The only thing that bothered me was the amount of police and security in the area. Make sure you lock your car doors and take in everything that is valuable.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator to get better sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Residence Inn Birmingham Homewood
Homewood Suites Birmingham South Inverness
Candlewood Suites Birmingham/Homewood
Courtyard Birmingham Hoover
Comfort Inn Birmingham - Irondale
Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham / Lakeshore Drive

Been to TownePlace Suites Birmingham Homewood? Share your experiences!