“Nice stay for price”

La Quinta Inn Birmingham / Cahaba Park South
Ranked #43 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Very comfortable stay for a decent price. Breakfast next morning was really good and filling. You have your toast, bagels, cereals (hot and cold), pastries, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, fruit, coffee and juices. It was filling. Beds were comfortable. Front desk was very friendly.

Room Tip: If we did not have a GPS, I think this place would have been a little difficult to locate. Not visi...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 October 2013

My boyfriend and I were making a long relocation trip from Texas to Connecticut (approx. 25 hours) with two cars, one carrying our dog.

After doing some research we decided to stop at three pet-friendly hotels that didn't charge a deposit/extra. The La Quinta Inn in Birmingham was our first stop.

We had driven 10 hours that day, so needless to say this was simply a place to sleep before the next day's drive, which would also be around 10 hours.

So here are the good things:

1. It was easy to check-in and get to our room on the first floor. This is definitely helpful when you have a 50-lbs. lab/terrier mix who can be a handful when you also need to bring in her bed and crate.

2. It's close to a Burger King. While the food was actually kind of gross, at that point we just needed something to eat after a long day.

3. The room, while not completely clean (we did not use the shower), had enough space for our dog, her crate, her food bowls, and for us to relax, eat and fall asleep. The bed was also actually extremely comfortable and didn't have noticeable stains or anything.

And here are the bad things:

1. Security was an issue. There is a side door that guests can access with their room keys, but there was always a rock being used to prop it open. I know this was the case because I went in and out of this door multiple times and each time I kicked the rock out and locked the door, I would find the rock there the next time. It creeped me out.

2. There was not a lot of green space for our dog to use the restroom. Just seems like a no-brainer to have a spot for pets, especially from a cleanliness standpoint, when I saw plenty of people bringing their pets in for the night.

From our perspective, the stay satisfied what we were looking for. Our dog was happy, we felt well-rested for the next day, and the breakfast was adequate, so we can't complain. Also, we were able to get a discount on the price (approx. $70 w/taxes) through a pet travel website.

I would not stay at this hotel for multiple nights, but for one night with a dog, it was a good choice.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KS_DB_14
Reviewed 24 September 2013

The front desk staff were very friendly. Check in/out was quick. They are pet friendly so it is good if you have any pet with you. The area is safe, the room was clean, and pretty big (King size bed) but the hotel definitely needs some maintenance. This is not a luxury hotel, but for the price - I had a great stay and I will go back again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Other than the condition of the hotel my stay was very good. The front desk staff were great and friendly. Check in was quick/easy. I stay a La Quintas mainly because they are pet friendly and this one was no exception. That wasn't a problem either. My only complaint was the somewhat run down condition of the hotel. The room was clean, the bedding, etc., but the hotel definitely needs some TLC and maintenance. The bathroom was a little moldy and there were cracks in the walls. AC was dirty and toilet handle was broken. Not up to my previous La Quinta stays. I know they are not a luxury hotel, nor is that expected. I just felt this one could be much nicer. The room/hallway was quiet and overall I felt safe in the area. I probably would not stay at this hotel again only because of the condition of it.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
A La Quinta traveler
Montgomery, Alabama, USA
Reviewed 20 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank A La Quinta traveler
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

Small parking lot, but not to worry just park in the back lot and use the back door.
No complaints from me. Nice quiet easy to find location with a decent price which includes a very clean room and a breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013