We stayed for 2 nights. Check in was quick, room was large, clean and spacious. We asked for a quiet room, away from elevators, and we were given a room at the end of the hallway on the 2nd floor, but with three compressers just outside our window. The rubber seal on the window was damaged, but we used some tape to cover the area that was allowing air and noise through. We didn't ask to be moved, as we had already unpacked, and only really noticed the noise when we were getting ready for bed.
We were there during the week, and the hotel offered drinks & nibblies, which was a nice touch. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, especially on the last day when we had car trouble. They printed us a map/driving directions on how to get to Birmingham Airport so we could change over our rental car, and let me use to the phone.
The hotel is in an older style building, and it's showing it's age. We had "hotel envy" as we looked across the carpark to a much newer and nicer building of the Drury Inn Hotel. We were also disappointed that the washing machine and dryer were out of order, as was another guest at the time. One of the reasons we chose to stay was that we knew we needed to wash some laundry, and saw that they had a guest laundry available on the website. The front desk tried to help - said that we could go across to the Drury Inn and use their machines, that the Drury Inn wouldn't mind, or we could use a laundromat nearby. We chose to use a laundromat.
The best part about staying at this hotel was eating at at Okinawa, a newly opened japanese hibachi steakhouse restaurant behind the hotel, best hibachi steak and lots of sushi choices! Location of the hotel was good, easy to get onto the I - 65 to get to downtown Birmingham. Lots of chain restaurants closeby. It was also only a 10-15min drive to the Galleria shopping mall in Hoover. Breakfast was the usual fare for this type of hotel, Overall, we enjoyed our stay here, mainly due to the friendly service we received from all the staff we encountered. But with the few anomalies that we experienced, we would probably try another chain hotel if ever in the area again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All suites hotel, free full hot cooked breakfast buffet, managers reception Mon-Thus, indoor heated swimming pool, fitness and business center, 42" flat screen tv's, washer/dryer room, free high speed internet and local calls, microwave/refrigerator, coffee maker, iron/board. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Ebookers, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Best Western Plus Carlton Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Plus Carlton Hotel Birmingham
- Best Western Carlton Hotel
- Best Western Birmingham
- Birmingham Best Western