“Loud Teenagers”

Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Grandview
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We arrived after a long day on the road and really just wanted to sleep. We have stayed in this area of Birmingham before and knew the mall and a lot of restaurants were in the area already. We normally go to the Hyatt Place down the road, but since I am towing a trailer, we decided to stay here since it was closer to the interstate.

There was a large group of teenagers staying at the property this night and some were in the room next to us. My first call to the front desk was at 11:30pm to tell the clerk they were running up and down the hallways. My second call was at 12:30am to tell the clerk that they were now beating on the wall. The noise lasted until 1:00am.

In the morning, I went to complain to the front desk and got a lukewarm "sorry" from the desk clerk. Needless to say, this is my second Drury Inn stay in the past week with the same issue of loud kids (call it bad luck) and I will probably not be using this chain again.

The room was clean and the breakfast was good. Parking a vehicle with a trailer at this one is kind of limited if the hotel is full, they only have single rows of parking lining the perimeter of the property and I had to occupy four spots to park my truck and trailer.

Room Tip: Ask to get one with no teenagers from a large group next to you.
1  Thank ArmyFmly
There are newer reviews for Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Grandview

Reviewed 28 July 2012

I've never stayed at a Drury Inn, and I wasn't blown away. I selected the Drury based on a couple of factors: ranking on Trip Advisor and morning/evening food offerings. First, let me say that I am surprised that this hotel is ranked #9 out of all the hotels in Birmingham. I found this hotel to be very average. While the staff was nice, I didn't find them overly helpful and the young lady who checked me in, didn't know what "incidentals" were. The food offerings were just average, the same thing every morning and basically the same choices each night. I was staying for one week and found the standard king room to be rather small, especially the bathroom. Although the location is convenient to I-459, hwy 280 is nightmarishly busy and it takes forever to get to restaurants (nothing the hotel can control just a comment). It's hard to say that I wasn't satisfied, because I really didn't have any problems, just found everything to be "so-so, average". Overall, not a bad experience, but not one that I will remember.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Gizdog
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Grandview, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Thank you for providing your feedback and for being our guest. We know you have a choice when it comes to lodging and we truly appreciate the opportunity to meet your needs.

We’re always interested in what our guests have to say and how we might improve our customer service.

Again, thank you for staying with Drury Hotels. We look forward to seeing you soon!

Stephanie West
Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southeast

Reviewed 26 July 2012

We came to this hotel after a 8+ hour drive and found it very welcoming and a very accommodating staff. Our room had somehow been booked as a king size smoking (I don't know if that was our fault or theirs), but they had no problem switching it for us at no extra cost. We arrived about 15 minutes before the manager's reception was due to close, and we wanted to get our free drinks in. I mentioned to the waiter that we'd been driving all day, and he personally made sure we got our third drink to save for later. The receptions were great; the evening meal was hot dogs, chips & salsa, potato chips, etc, and breakfast was eggs, sausage, oatmeal, cereal, and so forth. Our daughter has food allergies and we always need to check if the eggs were made with milk or butter. The server again had no problem checking for us what the ingredients were. Overall, a very pleasant hotel and we would stay there again.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I stayed at the Drury Inn & Suites in Birmingham on a corporate trip for training as it was close to the training facility.

The room was clean, and the front desk was couteous. The location is great because it is right off US Hwy 280, where there are tons of restaurants and shopping.

The breakfast buffet and evening hot snacks are free.

The exercise room is small but adequate (there are no weights just treadmill, bike and stair stepper).

My only con is that there is no safe in the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 July 2012

This was more than I expected. First of all at check in they upgraded us for no reason to a suite!!! The food they served during kickback in the afternoon was absolutely wonderful for my kids and they enjoyed it so much. It was more kid friendly food, but it saved me as a single mom from taking the kids out and I was able to enjoy it for our dinner also. The free drinks were great and we ate popcorn and drank soda till bedtime. The breakfast was also wonderful and that saved us again. The pool was clean and cool that half was inside and the other half outside. It was a very nice elegant hotel, extremely clean and just overall the best place I've ever stayed. I was able to get an internet rate that was a FABULOUS deal!!!! Some of the other locations are higher priced but this one was perfectly fine with me. As a single mother of 2 it was nice to have everything inside the hotel so once we were there we didn't have to leave until check out. Can't say enough about the guy at the front desk,,,,,Glenn Phillips (if I remember correctly) was his name and was extremely nice. We've been visiting Birmingham taking my son to Children's Hospital for 18 years now and have made more trips than I can count. Wish I had known about this hotel when it was first built. We'll never stay anywhere else when we go back which is often.

Room Tip: We were on the 5th floor, I can't remember the room number but I'm sure they are all nice.
Reviewed 20 July 2012

This is a fairly nice hotel located right off of the Interstate - easy access. My check-in experience was "so-so." The clerk seemed to be in a rush to get me checked in and to get back to whatever she was doing before I appeared. Parking lot is well lighted and I liked the security of accessing other doors besides the main entrance. Our room was decent (although I still do not understand why the bathroom is not connected to the bedroom- one has to pass through the living room area to get to the bathroom. The room was clean and I really liked the recliner - very comfortable after a long drive. The hotel was quiet - never heard a sound and was able to sleep quite peacefully. All in all, a nice, decent stay. One more note- there are a number a very good dining choices located very close to the hotel should one choose to not eat at the hotel itself.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

We stayed at this property while driving through town for one night. We chose it based on its close proximity to the Summit (one street light away) and the fact that the hotel sits directly off of I280. I'm a big Drury fan but I have to say that this property let me down. The constant door slams, toilets flushing and hearing other's conversations through the walls made sleep almost impossible. The mattress was extremely hard. The front desk staff was really polite and helpful upon check in. We felt safe and the parking lot was well lit. I think that we'd probably pick another property when staying in the area next time. If you do stay here, be sure to visit the Summit and dine at the Cheesecake factory. Like most Cheesecake Factory's, this one gets really crowded after 6pm.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for being our guest. We sincerely apologize that you had a concern during your stay at our hotel regarding the noise in your room. We value your business and sincerely regret that the level of service was not what you expected and deserved.

Your comments will help us address the issues you brought to our attention so we can improve our service.

We truly appreciate your business and hope you will give us additional opportunities to serve your lodging needs.

Stephanie West