“Great hotel, but fix the HEAT problem already!!!!”

Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southeast
Ranked #2 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
New York City, New York
“Great hotel, but fix the HEAT problem already!!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

Nice hotel, but every time we stay here, it is always hotter in the lobby and hallways than it is outside in the alabama heat! Whenever someone says something about it, the staff gives the generic "its been reported to maintenance, they're coming in the morning" response. We've been coming to this hotel since April of 09, and they have YET to fix the problem. Also, some of the front desk staff are nice, but others are flat out rude. We were offered a free nights stay for a screw up by the hotel when we were there, yet we never received the certificate that was supposedly sent out to us.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
KimChappell, eMarketing Specialist at Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southeast, responded to this review, 16 September 2009
Thank you for choosing Drury Hotels and thank you for your feedback! We see that you stayed with us in June 2009 and unfortunately at that time, our air conditioning unit was down! We understand that this was uncomfortable for our guests, especially in the Alabama summer heat, and have since fixed the problem so that the entire hotel from the guest rooms to the lobby area are nice and cool! We do hope you will come stay with us again and experience cool and comfortable temperatures! We are sorry to hear that you did not experience the high level of customer service by our staff that we strive to provide. Your comments have been shared with the General Manager and will be followed up on with the team. We would also like to make sure you receive the complimentary stay certificate you were offered and do apologize for the inconvenience of not receiving it yet. Please call the hotel directly at your convenience and ask to speak with the General Manager. We'll look into this right away and will make sure you your complimentary certificate is sent in the mail and into your hands as soon as possible! We appreciate hearing from our guests as it gives us information on how we can improve our product and service and thank you again for taking the time to submit your comments on Trip Advisor.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

I'd like to agree with a previous post that complained about the heat in the lobby and breakfast area. It was uncomfortable. The second and bigger issue was the noise in the adjoining room and the prank tripping of the fire alarm. ( I believe, but can't prove, the two were related.) There were a lot of kids present at a family reunion. They banged around next to us all night long. We couldn't move because the hotel was full. The front desk promptly refunded the cost of our stay, which I appreciated. I don't think we'll stay there again, and I would not recommend it to a friend.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
KimChappell, eMarketing Specialist at Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southeast, responded to this review, 6 August 2009
We appreciate hearing from our guests and thank you for the feedback on your recent stay. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and do want to reassure you that the air conditioning issues will be fixed soon. We are waiting on parts that should be arriving shortly and will fix the problem! It is very helpful for us to hear from our guests because it helps us to identify any concerns with our team to make the appropriate changes for upcoming stays. If you have any further questions about Drury, please let us know how we can help. Again, thanks for your feedback and we do hope we'll have a chance to see you as our guest again soon!
Detroit
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2009

My stay at the Drury Inn and Suites in Birmingham,Alabama SE was terrible, The front desk staff was rude and inconsiderate about my concerns. For example, on 8/2/09, I reported I saw a roach in my room (room no. 211). I saw a roach in the cabinet (where microwave and refrigerator). Once, I reported the incident to a front desk clerk, in a rude and snotty way, i was told that I needed to bring the roach down for the desk staff to see. I was also told that it probably was not a roach, but it was a water bug. My sister , inform me that she had killed a roach in my room the day before on Saturday 8/1/09 . In addition, my nephew , called on Saturday to report a roach, that he found in his room (rm. 625) , and was told by the same rude clerk that it is not a roach but a water bug. I was told that I would receive a telephone call from the manager, which I have not received a call yet. I placed a call to the manager today and was hung up on. I am not surprise, due to this was the services, myself and my family received residing at the establishment. Also, I another complaint is that every time I placed a call to the front desk on several different days and no one answer the telephone. I will not be recommending the hotel to others. Overall the rooms was nice and some of the staff was nice. The breakfast and evening cocktails were nice too. But, the location was only nice and you was driving. If you had to walk on foot, you would have to walk a mile down a very busy highway to get to the food, drug stores, etc. I will not be recommended this hotel to anyone and this was my first time in a Drury Inn and Suites, i do not have high hopes for the rest of them.

• Stayed August 2009
1 Thank jedwar19
KimChappell, eMarketing Specialist at Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southeast, responded to this review, 17 August 2009
Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate hearing from our guests and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your recent stay with us. At Drury Hotels, we pride ourselves on having clean and comfortable stays for our guests, and are very sorry you experienced difficulties with the cleanliness of your room. Our team is trained to address and resolve any issues that may arise during any guest stay, and we are sorry we did not have the opportunity to resolve this issue during your stay. We are happy to hear that the General Manager was able to get in touch with you to address the issues personally. At Drury Hotels, we guarantee 100% Satisfaction and since we fell short in the level of service provided during your stay, we hope you'll enjoy the complimentary certificate we've issued to be used when traveling in the future. If you have any further questions, though, please let us know how we can help. It is so helpful to hear from our guests because it gives us the opportunity to address any issues with the team right away and to help make improvements to our hotel cleanliness and service levels. Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience and would like to thank you for allowing us to serve your lodging needs.
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2009

Let me start off by saying, if you've Never stayed in a Drury hotel before then you would probably be totally satisfied with this one.

However, we have stayed with Drury quite a few times and I feel this one doesn't meet the high standards that Drury is known for. It was very HOT downstairs in the lobby and dining area. We were told the Owner did not want to spend $30,000 dollars on a new air conditioning unit. Also the beds were not Queen size as advertised on the internet. All of the other Drury hotels we have stayed in had Queen size beds. The bathroom was so small they had to put the toilet at an angle, again never seen a Drury hotel with such a small bathroom. The walls needed a fresh coat of paint and just seemed not as Fresh as the others.

But overall our bed linen was clean and the bathroom too. I did find someone's tank-top under the edge of the bed that didn't belong to us. Not sure how the cleaning crew missed that if they totally stripped our bed down.
The breakfast was good as usual and the evening reception was too.
Let me also say the hotel staff including the cleaning crew was very friendly and when you walked by acknowledged you with a smile.

I would stay here again but I hope the owner fixes the AC problem downstairs and doesn't let this hotel slip any further or it will give Drury Inn & Suites a bad reputation.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank blueyespam
KimChappell, eMarketing Specialist at Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southeast, responded to this review, 30 July 2009
Thanks for choosing Drury Hotels! We appreciate hearing from our guests and are happy to hear you enjoy breakfast and our evening beverage reception but apologize for any inconveniences you encountered during your last stay. In the middle of summer, we definitely do not want our lobby and dining areas any warmer than it already is outside! We have forwarded your comments along to our Maintenance department to take a further look into. We've also passed your thoughts along to hotel management to look over so we can work to keep this hotel up to the high service and cleanliness standards we strive for at Drury Hotels. If ever during a stay at a Drury Hotel you run into any questions or concerns, please let our front desk staff know right away so we can work to fix the problem before you check-out. It is so helpful to hear from our guests because this helps us to address any concerns with our team to make fixes for your next stay. Once again, we appreciate you choosing Drury for your lodging needs and do hope to see you as our guest again soon.
Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2009

I recently stayed five nights at the Drury Inn Southeast in Birmingham. What a great experience! First, and possibly most important, the staff was friendly, helpful, and accommodating. All questions were answered thoroughly and all requests were handled quickly. The rooms were pleasant, clean, and more than adequately equipped. Each room included a microwave, mini fridge, flat screen TV, iron/board, hair dryer, coffee pot, and more. The daily breakfast was much more than basic. The buffet included eggs, biscuits, gravy, fruit, muffins, bagels, toast, fresh waffles, coffee, soft drinks, and more. As added bonuses, the hotel provides daily Happy Hours. This includes drinks (beer on tap, mixed drinks) and snacks (nachos with cheese and salsa, veggies, chip and dip). Additionally, fountain soft drinks and popcorn is available from 3-10 daily. The hotel offers indoor/outdoor pool with whirlpool (one pool- half is inside, half is outside; inside portion is air conditioned comfortably), exercise room with 3 treadmills and 2 other cardio machines with flat screen TV, two elevators, two lounge/seat areas, washer/dryer, computer access in lobby (or wi-fi in rooms), free long distance calls, and much more. Drury Inn is located in a safe area and is close to great shopping and dining. After staying five nights, I was still impressed. If I had to be away from home for so many nights, I am glad it was at this awesome hotel. Highly recommend!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

This hotel is full of wonderful free extras: 3 happy hour drinks, full breakfast, 60 minutes of free long distance, etc. Dogs are welcome members of the family. The décor is standard traditional. Our bed wasn’t as comfortable as usual and our room lacked a little table or desk. There was a small fridge and microwave in the armoire. We never got to experience the small indoor/outdoor pool or hot-tub because it was overflowing with loud, active kids - which is often the case for hotels over the weekend. The fitness room was extremely small and not used much - just a few machines. Overall we were glad we stayed there.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Knoxville, TN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2009

A little awkward to get to but good location nonetheless. We had the 2-rm suites, very roomy for our family of 5. Also had a handicapped deluxe room for our grandmother, very large and great bathroom. Beds were comfy but wish they were queen instead of full/double. Breakfast was far better than the average hotel fare, and we all enjoyed the free popcorn and beverages. Kids loved the indoor/outdoor pool. Hot tub wasn't really hot but was still enjoyable. Check in was easy and fast but don't expect lots of staff service beyond that--the front desk phone rings off the hook. All in all,this hotel exceeded my expectations and will be our stop-over from now on.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family