“Don't Leave Your Light On”
Review of Motel 6 Birmingham

Motel 6 Birmingham
Ranked #57 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 4 April 2013

This was my first time to stay at a Motel 6 establishment. I have been told that all locations were not the same. I truly hope not. I had a horrible visit at the Birmingham AL. This location was not up to par to say the least. Let's just say if you see the light on run for cover!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 March 2013

We wanted to spend our money on golf (Robert Trent Jones courses at Oxmoor Valley) and this was a perfect way to have a convenient location (about 10-12 minutes to the 2 RTJ courses) and at a modest price. We even got free WIFI for having paid in advance, and we had a ground-floor room which is great for ease of access. Let's face it - Motel 6 is for people wanting to economize...and that we did....so don't expect more. But it was clean and the room made up promptly every day, so when we returned with our weary bones (from 2 straight days of 36 holes of golf each day), we just crashed and enjoyed the beds.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Peter B
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I have stayed at this hotel over 50 times in the past 2 years for both business and personal reasons. The manager is very "hands on" and is around most every day. When things are not right, like room wasn't cleaned on a stay-over visit, I got a free night. When the night office clerk didn't answer the phone and take care of a loud truck in the parking lot, and because there were several complaints, I got another free night. The day clerk knows me by name and even knows my dog's name. They know exactly what room I prefer and have it for me if I give them enough notice. The rooms are clean, not fancy, but certainly adequate for traveling needs. They put in some new mattresses and box springs last year. The poor reviews are from before the current manager took over and "cleaned house" on staff and everything else. I travel a lot and I know a decent hotel when I see one and this is defintely a decent one.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Natalie W
Reviewed 26 June 2012

I have stayed here over 30 times during my year as Ms. Wheelchair Alabama. The staff were always very courteous except for the 1st time when the night clerk did not answer the phone so I could report a disturbance. When I reported it to manager in morning, he gave me free night. It has always been clean and although not a deluxe room, it is certainly adequate. The office staff remember me and my dog from visit to visit and have kept the same people for over a year. The manager has continued to give me free nights every once in a while because I stay there so much. Yes, some of the clientele is weird, but you get that in every hotel. I was mugged once, but at a Holiday Inn where I paid $120 for the night, so go figure. If you have a problem and report it, they will fix it. All the beds have been replaced in the last year so bug problem should be gone. New manager from the beginning of 2011 has tried to clean the place up.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Natalie W
Reviewed 20 June 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here a few years ago on our first vacation together. We needed a one night stay on our way to New Orleans. It was so bad we almost left in the middle of the night. As others have said, the room was not clean. The sheets had numerous holes, stains, and stray hairs. Several shady looking characters were lurking around in the parking lot and outside of our room. Several prank phone calls were made to our room in the middle of the night, and we froze in the room because the blanket was too disgusting to use. The only positive was good water pressure in the shower. Several years later, we're still joking about our evening in this Motel 6. I guess you could call that a positive too ;)

Room Tip: Just don't do it...