“4 Levels of Science Wonder”

McWane Science Center
Ranked #3 of 95 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Fun and learning never end at McWane Science Center, a nonprofit, hands-on museum and IMAX(R) Dome Theater. Four floors of interactive exhibits celebrate science and wonder - from an amazing collection of dinosaurs to innovative environmental showcases, imaginative early childhood playgrounds, and an awe-inspiring aquarium. The energy and excitement of discovery spring to life through an extensive lineup of science demonstrations performed daily by talented educators. The adventure intensifies in the IMAX(R) Dome Theater, where wide-eyed visitors experience the sights and sounds of breathtaking films on a 5-story-tall screen surrounded by 3 tons of high-intensity speakers.
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My kids loved this place, and there is a little something for everyone. Starting on the lower level with the shark and stingray touch tank which by itself entertained my ADD-like pair for over half an hour. The First Floor had all sorts of fun little science experiment style exhibits teaching them about pulleys, perception, shapes, and more. the Second floor centered more around nature and all its wonders. And then the fourth floor, which was my favorite, taught all about different arts and animations. I am so glad we blocked out 4+ hours to explore this gem.

3  Thank Don225
Katie B, Public Relations Manager at McWane Science Center, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

I am so glad you had a wonderful visit to McWane Science Center - sounds like you did not miss a thing! I could spend hours downstairs with the fish - sometimes I sneak away from the office and find my serenity with the jellyfish. We try to bring exhibits to the museum that can be enjoyed by all ages - adults too - as well as make sure they are fulfilling our educational requirements too. You tend to not notice you are learning anything at times, just having fun! Thank you again for letting us know about your visit - please come back and see us again.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We visited on a Sunday afternoon, using a partner museum membership to enter free. Parking in the museum's lot is $5, and worth it. This is very much a science center, with lots of hands-on exhibits. This was engaging, though we were the only ones visiting that afternoon that did not travel with children. Lots of neat galleries, with some fun Arkansas dinosaur interactives. Highlight: the visible collections storage area, allowing museum visitors to view some behind the scenes areas. This is near the teaching collection area, which has a lot of natural history collections on display for close up inspection. There is also an imax theatre, cafeteria, and concessions area, but we avoided them. There was a neat area to look at the projector for the imax theatre, which was cool (and free) to look at.

Katie B, Public Relations Manager at McWane Science Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for your recent review regarding your trip to McWane Science Center. I am glad you had a good visit with us and explored our exhibits as well as the IMAX - even though you were not with kids (there is a kid in all of us- right?). We really find our members use the ASTC reciprocal program when they travel - glad it came in handy for you too. Please visit us again if you are ever in Birmingham - we would love to have you.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Even though, the museum appears to have a lot to offer it all located on the main floor. The rest is just non-interactive typical museum stuff. Not the touch and play science museum one would expect. In the basement there is a small water exhibit with fish tanks instead of actual science waves or water displays. On the top floor there is a cartoon display showing how to put together a cartoon. There is also an area with stuffed birds. The ticket price for adults is $13 and there are no AAA or student discount. There is also a $5 parking fee.

3  Thank Marek P
Katie B, Public Relations Manager at McWane Science Center, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for letting us know your thoughts on your recent visit to McWane Science Center - we need to know when our guests have a bad experience as well as when they have a great experience. I am sorry the museum did not have the interactive exhibits you were expecting to see. We try to bring exhibits to our museum that reach certain standards and are interactive, I am sorry you did not see that in your visit. I am also sorry you did not receive a AAA discount, we do honor one and we have for years. Again, thank you for letting us know your thoughts - it will help us take a look at how our exhibits are perceived.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Our kids are growing too old, but we will never grow to old to go review the demonstrations. A great place to visit and spend the day.

Katie B, Public Relations Manager at McWane Science Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

You are a lot like me - I will never be too old to enjoy the science demonstrations here at McWane Science Center! I learn something new everytime I walk into the museum. Thank you for letting us know about your recent trip and we hope you come back to visit us soon!

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We went to the preview of Cartoon Animation last week and it was spectacular. We also saw the movie Jerusalem. I see all their movies because of the education that I get from them. If you can't travel to a place why not see it through the eyes of other profound photographers. McWane is a wonderful science center to take my whole family. I have been a member for some years now and will continue the membership.

1  Thank proudnanny

I am so glad to hear you enjoyed the new exhibit Animation and the new IMAX film Jerusalem for this summer. We try to bring exhibits and films our guests will enjoy as well as learn from them. Thank you for letting us know about your experiences here - we appreciate our members and all they do for us!