“Great place! Great staff!”

Ruffner Mountain Nature Preserve
Ranked #22 of 88 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: This 1,000-acre oasis in downtown Birmingham attracts birdwatchers, hikers and nature lovers to its 11 miles of hiking and walking trails, nature center with native animals, picnic area, gardens, gift shop and special sunset hikes with wine and cheese or moonlight treks with music.
Birmingham, Alabama, USA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great place! Great staff!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

Take my summer campers there every year. The staff is extremely knowledgeable Alabama wildlife and environmental issues and the guides are expertly trained. This summer one of my kids fell down while hiking and the guide responded immediately and knew exactly what to do. Extremely impressed with their "green" way of operating.

Visited July 2012
3 Thank marvalynd

West Palm Beach
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Gorgeous, but a bit concerning getting there!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

Loved the trails, though this wasn't a huge hike for us! (didn't make it to the summit, due to lack of time!) - but it is just lovely! Be aware, you drive through a very scary and ghetto part of town to get there. Bring mace or a big dog, if you feel skittish about being in the woods at the bad end of town! Worth it to me!

Visited August 2012
5 Thank piratical
Long Beach, Mississippi
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Part Of My Inspiration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

I remember going here when I was little & it was my brother, my dad, & I. We were going to go on the 5 mile trail & hike the whole way, but my brother was acting like he was about to pass out, so we turned around & went back. I SO want to go back there & hike the entire trail!!!!

About the inspiration, I made a trail from my old house to the town's baseball field north of Birmingham. The reason I call the house "old" is b/c we just moved to Gulfport, MS. I'm going to miss that trail I made not long ago.

Visited August 2011
3 Thank CrayfishYAY
Birmingham, Alabama
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Nature”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2012

We visited here for hiking, but I understand there is a ropes course that has been set up for all ages and takes about an hour to go through. I have not done the course but a neighbor says it is great. $50 per person

Visited September 2011
Alabama
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“Haven in the middle ot town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2012

If you want to explore nature and don't want to drive, head over to Ruffner, just don't go when they have their Art Show. Nice hikes, friendly staff.

Visited April 2012