“Unexpected Hike”

Ruffner Mountain Nature Preserve
Ranked #21 of 93 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: This 1,000-acre oasis in downtown Birmingham attracts birdwatchers, hikers and nature lovers to its 11 miles of hiking and walking trails, nature center with native animals, picnic area, gardens, gift shop and special sunset hikes with wine and cheese or moonlight treks with music.
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I did not expect such an extensive park so close to downtown Birmingham. This park is near the airport. Coming from the San Francisco bay area where there is lot of open space, I was happy to see this so close to the city center. I wish I had the time to do lot more hiking. We were on a very long trip. Surprised that there were not many locals enjoying the beauty.

4  Thank docLosAltos_CA
There are newer reviews for Ruffner Mountain Nature Preserve

Reviewed 31 March 2013

The Nature Center has a Naturalist on staff, and they know how to tailor their information to adults or youth.

4  Thank Pat S
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I've lived in Birmingham since 1978, and first visited Ruffner in '87 - love the miles and miles of trails, woods, rocks, and now added new buildings, picnic and wetland areas. The parking lot is only three miles from the I-20 exit, so I feel (through years of personal experience) that any reviewers' safety concerns are wildly overblown - I live in the neighborhood and have had no problems. Spring, Fall, and Winter are the times of year I enjoy hiking the most - Summer in Bham is steamy and buggy, so bring water and insect repellent then.

3  Thank nature55_13
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I came here as part of a large group. Very nice trails to walk, and I loved the all the animals. There was a big aquarium with turtles that we really liked, and they have a great gift shop.

3  Thank RealRater
Reviewed 25 November 2012

This is a gem in the middle of civilization. There are beautiful hiking trails and a diversity of wildlife to see, both in the nature center and on the trails. There is really no time of year that is bad to go and it is an excellent way to relax and appreciate some quiet in a busy week.

3  Thank Marie R