“Unbelievable!!”

Ruffner Mountain Nature Preserve
Ranked #21 of 95 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: This 1,000-acre oasis in downtown Birmingham attracts birdwatchers, hikers and nature lovers to its 11 miles of hiking and walking trails, nature center with native animals, picnic area, gardens, gift shop and special sunset hikes with wine and cheese or moonlight treks with music.
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Its unbelievable to know that:
1.Its a private-owned preserve
2.that much extensive greenery and the natural hike trails are next door to the downtown birmingham.

Beautiful place for a hike. The neighborhood leading to the park as such might raise an eye-brow but trust me, the ride is worth it all. Acres and Acres of untouched foliage and trails that are totally canopied by trees, is a welcome relief from everyday busy schedules. I personally would not want to go there closer to sundown time, as even in broad daylight, the trails dont see much of sunlight. But,if you are in bham and want to take a peaceful hike close to nature, this is your place!!

5  Thank kn081083

Reviewed 2 April 2013

I did not expect such an extensive park so close to downtown Birmingham. This park is near the airport. Coming from the San Francisco bay area where there is lot of open space, I was happy to see this so close to the city center. I wish I had the time to do lot more hiking. We were on a very long trip. Surprised that there were not many locals enjoying the beauty.

4  Thank docLosAltos_CA
Reviewed 31 March 2013

The Nature Center has a Naturalist on staff, and they know how to tailor their information to adults or youth.

4  Thank Pat S
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I've lived in Birmingham since 1978, and first visited Ruffner in '87 - love the miles and miles of trails, woods, rocks, and now added new buildings, picnic and wetland areas. The parking lot is only three miles from the I-20 exit, so I feel (through years of personal experience) that any reviewers' safety concerns are wildly overblown - I live in the neighborhood and have had no problems. Spring, Fall, and Winter are the times of year I enjoy hiking the most - Summer in Bham is steamy and buggy, so bring water and insect repellent then.

3  Thank nature55_13
Reviewed 5 January 2013

I came here as part of a large group. Very nice trails to walk, and I loved the all the animals. There was a big aquarium with turtles that we really liked, and they have a great gift shop.

3  Thank RealRater