“Always a great day hiking here”

Ruffner Mountain Nature Preserve
Ranked #21 of 92 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: This 1,000-acre oasis in downtown Birmingham attracts birdwatchers, hikers and nature lovers to its 11 miles of hiking and walking trails, nature center with native animals, picnic area, gardens, gift shop and special sunset hikes with wine and cheese or moonlight treks with music.
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Always a great day hiking here”
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I first visited the center shortly after moving from Montgomery to my loft downtown. I've known of the center for a few years and many friends have told me what how much they enjoyed hiking here but I just had no idea until I saw it for myself. It is beautiful and I recently learned that it is larger than Central Park!
A huge natural preserve so close to the city and surrounding burbs.
The trails are marked based on difficulty/length. We took the longest route the first time and as the day heated up, we realized we were a little out of shape but it wasn't bad at all. Funny observation: every time we asked someone coming from the opposite direction how much further... They would say, "about ten-fifteen minutes" -no matter where we were. I'm a fast walker and trust me, it wasn't 10-15 minutes from anywhere.
It I as always a fun walk, hike, or run depending on what you want yo do.
The center itself has some neat and educational displays. As I recall, you can buy something to drink and vending machine type snacks are available.

Visited September 2013
4 Thank Jim N

Hanover, New Hampshire
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Fallen on hard times?”
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I had never been to Birmingham before and I was looking forward to having a day to explore the city and what it has to offer. I had read about the Ruffner Mountain Nature Center, so I went there in the early afternoon, hoping to do some hiking. The Nature Center and the visitor's facilities, near the parking lot, all looked like they had seen better days, and the displays of live creatures, indigenous to the area, in the Nature Center were pretty depressing. I was turned off by the appearance of the Nature Center, and I ended up not exploring the Ruffner Mountain trails that afternoon.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Brian M
Birmingham, Alabama
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“BEAUTIFUL VISTAS !GREAT HIKING”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is our favorite hiking area because it is so close to town.
It is located just East of the airport. There is good parking and a lovely Nature Pavilion. There is a moderate 300 foot climb at the
beginning of the trail. You can then hike an easy 4 mile loop that
has spectacular views of Birmingham and the country side.
You will hike north along a long ridge and empties into a large
quarry with cliffs and beautiful vistas. These trails are rarely busy
And are quite easy to hike.

Visited October 2013
4 Thank Will C
Atlanta, Georgia
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Unbelievable!!”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Its unbelievable to know that:
1.Its a private-owned preserve
2.that much extensive greenery and the natural hike trails are next door to the downtown birmingham.

Beautiful place for a hike. The neighborhood leading to the park as such might raise an eye-brow but trust me, the ride is worth it all. Acres and Acres of untouched foliage and trails that are totally canopied by trees, is a welcome relief from everyday busy schedules. I personally would not want to go there closer to sundown time, as even in broad daylight, the trails dont see much of sunlight. But,if you are in bham and want to take a peaceful hike close to nature, this is your place!!

Visited August 2013
5 Thank kn081083
Los Altos, CA
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Unexpected Hike”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I did not expect such an extensive park so close to downtown Birmingham. This park is near the airport. Coming from the San Francisco bay area where there is lot of open space, I was happy to see this so close to the city center. I wish I had the time to do lot more hiking. We were on a very long trip. Surprised that there were not many locals enjoying the beauty.

Visited March 2013