“The little train that could”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of El Barrio

El Barrio
Ranked #2 of 939 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Latin, Central American, South American
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/45/1641255/restaurant/Downtown/El-Barrio-Birmingham
Chicago, Illinois
“The little train that could”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stopped in for both lunch and dinner on a recent business trip. El Barrio is a comfortable, woody, casual place. Servers in jeans and t-shirt - friendly. They have a very limited menu and seem to execute fairly well. At lunch I had the soup and salad. For $9 the portion was very small. Soup was good though not real hot. The salad was very plain - lettuce, radish, not much else. At dinner I tried the Tacos al Carbon. The meat was in small cubes and quick cooked on a flat top - as opposed to stips of steak cooked on a grill which I prefer - but had good flavor. Decent tortillas and ok guacamole. The grapefruit margarita was good, though small.

• Visited February 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Always crowded for a reason”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014 via mobile

Great food, environment, prices and service. I've never had a negative experience here. I go at least once a month. The wait is never as long as they say it will be.

Talladega, Alabama
“Packed but worth it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2014

If you are trying to find it at night it is easy to miss. Parking & tables were limited. On a Saturday at 6ish people were lined up waiting for a table. The food here was described to us as tex-mex with a touch of carribean. Many items on the small menu had fruit elements (which we avoided). For appetizers we had the queso dip and our dinner partners shared their guacamole, both were great! I had the chorizo meatloaf. We agreed that everything we ordered was good, but mine was the best. The quesadilla, black beans and tostada were also yummy. I would happily go back.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Bamacacher
Reidsville, North Carolina
“Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

My husband and I are in Birmingham several times a year on business. This is our place to go for Mexican food in downtown. I'm not a big "Mexican" food fan but my husband is. I have to say, this place has won me over. As mentioned in other reviews, the noise level is alittle high but that I attribute to the very high ceiling.
The food is wonderful and the staff very attentive !!

We love these guys. Please try their other restaurant, Trattoria Centrale, formerly ZAZA'S. You can't go wrong.

• Visited November 2013
california
“Terrific flavor, good margaritas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

Just arrived from California and was surprised that my friends would choose a Mexican restaurant for our dinner. Mexican in Alabama? Well, I can say I really enjoy the enchiladas, the drinks and terrific service. The noise level is pretty high but a great place for a fun night out.

• Visited November 2013