“Nice hotel, good location, great extras!”

Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southwest
Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
Columbus, IN
“Nice hotel, good location, great extras!”
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We enjoyed out recent weekend stay at this Drury Inn. The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. We had a problem with the Air conditioning though and it was never resolved. We spent a very warm first night there and the person who helped us offered to reimburse us for that night but when we got the bill it was not taken care of. Our relatives had nice, cool rooms. We were grateful that they found a fan for us to use our second night. If you want a cool room make sure you don't get room 130! We had also asked that our three families be close by. We were all coming from out of town to attend a funeral. My sister's family were unable to get into their assigned room because the door was locked from the inside. They were moved to an upper floor. It would have been nicer for us to all be together. Besides that the breakfast was nice. The evening food and drinks are a nice treat. We didn't even have to go out for dinner. The hotel is pet friendly and we appreciated being able to bring our little dog with us. There are plenty of restaurants close by- many are within walking distance. There are shops close by also. We weren't impressed with the staff when we checked in at night. Things seemed chaotic and unorganized. The manager in the morning was friendly and helpful. We also thought the lady working in the dining area in the evening was very helpful, nice and she kept things running smoothly. Extra's that were nice were computers, work out room, fridge and microwave in each room. The hotel has a small indoor/outdoor pool with a hot tub. All in all, a pretty nice place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Indymom1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Minnesota
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in May while a family member was in a local hospital. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. The room was very clean and comfortable. Also, the extras made it very convenient ..... hot breakfast buffet and hot food in the evenings. Complimentary drinks were also provided. It was nice not to have to go out to a restaurant after a long day at the hospital. Although I didn't have the kids with me this time, I think Drury Inns would be a nice, comfortable stop on a family road trip as well.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank backcountrytraveller
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I've stayed at this Drury Inn a couple of times, thought I'd leave a review - I'm not sure which one in AL I like more this hotel or the one in Montgomery. Both have very nice staff, I appreciate the small meals and complimentary drinks - my one complaint is their seltzer water is dispensed so - no bubbles or carbonation, I've become hooked on mineral water and will take tonic or seltzer instead - in Montgomery it was served by bottle, here it may as well not have been offered as dispensed. But that is my only complaint. There was a tour group coming through and the front desk told those of us checking in that they blocked off rooms on the middle floors for them, so their 2 am arrival would not disturb guests already checked in. Bed comfortable, room clean, checkout easy. Again, a great place for groups and families traveling, not so bad for a business traveler in town on a tight budget looking for a few fringe benefits and conveniences.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank materielgrrl
Fort Myers, Florida
Reviewed 15 August 2012

On a loop trip around the country starting from Florida, what started out as a divine adventure turned into a serious effort to get me home safely when my AC quit in Tucson and I still needed to at least get to Montana to see my sister. After that, with a withering drought and heat between me and home, my husband started a heroic effort to keep me in the cool and staying in comfortable surroundings. Destinations were chosen based on fogging windows and attitude. He basically "Trip Advised" me across the country, and that elevated the entire epic into a wonderful dream that allowed me to appreciate the countryside and trust where this 65 year old woman would end up each night.

Birmingham turns out to be gorgeous with lovely rolling hills and reasonable temps and humidity even in August. The Drury Inn just added to my delight. Has an elegant feel to the lobby and common areas, and the room was spacious, luxurious, and reasonable. Several restaurants are within walking distance, and I ate at a lovely Chili's. Used the fitness room which is important when spending hours on my butt. And, how can you beat a nice light dinner, which is really what they provide with their chicken and nachos and garden salad. And then a full, healthful breakfast in the morning.

Drury has sort of become our home away from home when traveling, and the one in Birmingham is a notch above. Also, as I left, I wanted to buy some water and didn't have all the change I needed. The gal at the desk took what I had. She reflected the lovely greeting I received when I arrived the afternoon before. This Drury has outstanding staff, location, and facilities.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank Intlpvti
Winder, Georgia
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Booked a jacuzzi room for the night of 12 August 2012. Bright pictures on the website looked promising. Reality: Carpet had red stains splotched from the bedroom to the hallway towards the door. All my guest and I could do is laugh it off and wonder who was killed in the room. We knew it COULDN'T be blood, but it sure did look somewhat like a murder scene.

The jacuzzi wasn't clean. That really was a disappointment. My friend and I spend more for a jacuzzi for because we enjoy that. The soap scum that floated around certainly did nothing for the mood.

The furnishings were okay, but it does appear that they are showing fair amounts of wear. It seemed that there would be good use for furniture polish here. Also, the bedspreads were very dated and there probably isn't a lot of life left in the mattress. Especially now.

The "kickbacks" downstairs were okay for the most part. What you should expect is hotdogs, nachos, and dry chicken fingers. The real disappointment were the drinks. True, the best drinks are free, but don't take a date here. it was a no frills kind of affair.

I had never stayed at a Drury Inn before. Overall, this was an average stay at what seemed to be an average hotel. It was nothing to rave.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank resmith85
DruryHotels, Manager at Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southwest, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Our apologies as your visit with us was not the norm for our hotel. We have followed up on your comments and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.
BC, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I stayed here with my husband and 2 kids for 3 nights in Aug. Here is our experience: check in was quick and friendly. She hurried it along so we could catch the end of happy hour since we arrived about 6:30pm.
Parking was easy and free. Self park in the hotel lot.
Location was good. Initially we were worried about being in Homewood rather than DT. However after walking around the DT area one afternoon we were glad we chose the suburb location. DT area is run down and seemed a little sketchy. Also didn't seem like much to do there. The hotel is close to a bunch of box stores and restaurants. We took advantage of Old Navy, Walmart and Starbucks. All are within walking distance. It is only a 10 min drive to DT and university areas. Would be difficult to explore Birmingham w/o a car as it's spread out.
Our room was on the 3rd floor. Nothing special but clean and comfortable. Nicely decorated. Very quiet. We were across the hall from a banquet room hosting a family reunion one night and didn't hear a thing! Beds were comfortable although my husband didn't like his pillow. Elevator was a little slow so we used the stairs mostly.
There is a pool which our kids enjoyed. It is half.inside and outside so can be used if it's raining. I also had the workout room to myself. Bikes were in need of some maintenance but other machines were fine. Both pool and workout room were clean. A couple suggestions for hotel: put watercooler/papercups in workout room and spraybottle with cleaner so machines can be wiped off after use.
The good value for this hotel is mainly because of free breakfast and happy hour. Breakfast had great choices and we always found a table easily. Tons of variety for a free breakfast. Happy hour was from 5:30-7pm and had free dinner/snacks (hotdogs, mac'n cheese, nachos, chicken wings and other bar food) plus 3 free drinks (beer/wine/spirits) per person. The food quality was not as good at dinner so the kids ate the free dinner and we brought BBQ takeout back to hotel to enjoy with our free drinks.
In all, we enjoyed our stay and would stay there again if back in Birmingham.
Tip: Try Saws BBQ and Slice pizza. Both were incredibly tasty.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank cantravellor
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 6 August 2012

We like staying at the Drury Inn when it is in the town we are travelling to. They are usually clean and have a great breakfast. This hotel was a bit of a disappointment. It was tired. The carpet was so dirty we decided to keep our socks on. The breakfast area was laid out in a way that made it very crowded and difficult to get to the food, even when the crowd was light.

We made the reservation on the road and was assured we would get a king bed and a roll away for our son. The person on the phone placed me on hold and called the hotel to ensure we were checked in and that the roll away was set in the room. When. We got there, the front desk told us they were out.

Room Tip: I still like the Drury, but this hotel sits in an area with several other chain hotels. I would cons...