“Consistently good”
Review of Village Tavern

Village Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Village Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 957 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 280
Transit: The Summit offers a Shuttle from anywhere in the Summit that passed by the Village Tavern approximately every 15-20 minutes.
Lake Worth, Florida
“Consistently good”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Ate here for dinner with a very large business group. Service was prompt and the food was the usual excellent. I heard no complaints from anyone!

Visited May 2014

Pell City, Alabama
“Love the "Tenderloin" Salad at the Village Tavern”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Village Tavern at the Summit has a large menu offering a multitude of choices. From grilled salmon to burgers to great entree salads, this menu has something for everyone. I am partial to the "Tenderloin" salad. This salad features lots of beef tenderloin chunks cooked to order, placed on a bed of lettuce strips, salsa, cheese and black olives, served with a delicious ranch dressing, all resting inside of a wonderful crispy shell! This salad makes my mouth happy!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Davonia B
Mobile, Alabama
“Always an excellent meal”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We travel to B'ham 4-5x per year (daughter in College!)
There are many excellent restaurants in town, but we always find ourselves returning to the Village Tavern. Great food, not the best meal you'll ever eat, but fine food at a great price.
Good wine list, Good bar, great atmosphere.
Large servings, great desserts (College girl loves the Banana Ice Cream & Nutella crepes!)
Be sure to try it.

• Visited April 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
“My go-to place for that AHHH good ....”
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Well, my husband and I often need to find someplace to eat and de-stress after dealing with my elderly mother's taxes, estate attorney, personal visits, and other less than desirable demands... for the last several times we have found ourselves driving back to the Summit down Hwy 280. Village Tavern is south of B'ham and delivers consistently good food, reasonable prices,a laid-back comfortable decor, and helpful service. Yes, it is a "chain" as there are others all the way from Scotsdale to Manilla, and its not a 4 star, but its good "for the rest of us" for most occasions. Or, like us, a parking spot after a day of stress.
Out waitress this last trip was a charmer admitting she had been a makeup consultant previously and also knew about dealing with elderly family members. I must have had that " I'm worn out I need a big glass of wine" look for she was very attentive even though the place was filling up at 11:30 in the morning.
I found out this visit that it is a fairly busy lunch spot for boy-girl hookups, business lunches, girlfriend gab sessions, and family reunions, I saw all kinds of people wondering in.
I had to have my comfort order of absolutely delicious french onion soup with a plate of shrimp and grits.The shrimp and grits had a light sauce was delicious and not too smokey like somebody had dumped on the liquid smoke. The shrimp were large. The dish contained apple smoked bacon that was just the right amount of savory Umami. The grits were also smooth and creamy and had a good portion size.
Al had the large grilled chicken salad with poppyseed dressing..He all but scraped the color off the inside of the bowl.
We have also had the seared tuna in the past and their steaks are terrific. I can honestly say I have not had a bad dish yet. One previous visit I ordered the flash fried calamari and it was as crisp and non-greasy as any fried food I have ever put in my mouth. No doubt the usual panko crumbs but flash frying method (?) (whatever that is) is exceptional.
The portions are very good so I don't usually order desert, but I have seriously eyed the creme brulee or banana crepes...Al ordered the creme brulee on a previous visit and we almost got snippy when my "just a taste" spoon sample overlapped more than his watchful eye approved of. The bar selection is reasonable. The pizzas I have heard from friends are memorable. That might be next visit, hummmm....Mom's business has its upside.....
If you want a quiet, tasteful, place to eat consistently good food and not feel ripped off; you will be happy here. If you want to be in the middle of the southside or downtown Birmingham action scene, maybe not. This place is located in a quiet cul-de-sac in a front end right turnoff of the Summit. The parking is easy, and it's well lit. Of course you also have all the up-scale shops of the Summit if you want to walk off a few calories afterwards. But to do this,you will have to relocate the car on the upper levels to get at most of them. If you're not inclined to do a lot of walking or have disabilities, the place is one level and the restrooms are nearby,
I hope this helps. I'll upload some pictures when I can get them off my phone.

• Visited May 2014
Birmingham
“Bday Din”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Went for my husband Bday dinner. We had reservations & it took about 10 mins for us to be seated. Great atmosphere, definitely a busy spot on the weekends. My husband enjoyed his food & i will not say it wasnt good until I order something different next time, (I had tilapia & mashed potatos..not enough seasoning to me). But will return for a nice brunch or dinner

• Visited March 2014