“Pathetic”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Allen Park, Michigan, United States
“Pathetic”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

After a week of attempts for prepayment for my reservation that I was gifting to my brother for his wedding night I had to call for a reciept - only to find that he was charged. Even after numerous calls - asking time, and time again to make sure he wasn't, and that my card was. I had to call 7 times to finally get an credit card authorization form, and had to fax it 4 times to 3 different fax numbers that their Sheraton/Westin associates had given. When I called the day of the reservation I was talked to as though I was a burden, and the young girl I spoke to on the morning of the 21st refused to help; stating that they couldn't do an advanced deposit for the room, and that they would have to wait until check in. Being a front desk employee of Starwood, and very knowledgeable when it comes to light speed I know that this is not true. Matter of fact, I could have walked her through it.

I cancelled at their sister property and moved my brothers reservation to this property in hopes of them being able to take care of things the Starwood way, but obviously I had been mistaken. Now, I have to transfer money from my own bank account to my brothers bank account due to their incompetence. What was supposed to be a great wedding gift to my only sibling has been nothing but a complete nightmare. I am both very disappointed, and disgusted with these teams.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Ashley C
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Ashley C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent occurrence. We are extremely disappointed to read of the inconvenience that you experienced during your effort to provide your sibling with a gift. I can understand how disappointing and frustrating this must have been. Your review will give us an opportunity to make sure that the appropriate departments are aware of our company's processes and that information is clearly and accurately communicated to our guests so situations like this are prevented.

On behalf of The Westin Birmingham team, please accept our apologies for having missed the opportunity to impress you; however, we do hope to have another opportunity to welcoming you and your family back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My Wife and I drove over for a concert and were treated to a room here at the Westin. Located just south of Downtown, it is ideally placed close to some of the city's best Restaurants. Very clean and the staff are extremely nice! We did not try their Pub but we were told (and read on Yelp) that it is really solid. Totally would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear Eurorunner,

Thank you for staying with us at The Westin Birmingham. We appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful comments about room and our professional and friendly staff. We are thrilled that you will be a returning guest, and we look forward to your next visit!
Be well
Brentwood, TN
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was here for a single night for business. Parking was easy, check in was a breeze, the room brand new so spotless in all respects, and my run in the workout room was fine. The room service meal was better than expected and could not ask for better service. Was very convenient to downtown business center. Will stay again when I am in Birmingham. My only objection was that the shower (shower only, no tub) is one of those "half glass" arrangements you frequently see in western Europe. So that means that no matter how hard you try, water invariably gets in places you'd rather not have have it -- wall, floor, etc. I've always been curious why this is such a popular approach, and gaining ground in the US, and it just seems like it would create a maintenance issue more than anything for the hotel. So we'll see what it looks like in a year or so.

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here at the referral of SPG Reservations after having described our lodging preferences. This is a new facility completed in early 2013 and is located around the corner from the Sheraton property downtown. Hotel & our room was spacious and contemporary. The staff onsite was friendly, knowledgable and very helpful. The Todd English P.U.B. was awesome. Great food, service and plenty of tv's for college football.

We would highly recommend and will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear mini6322,

Thank you for your 5-star rating! We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, the amenities, and Todd English P.U.B. Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Texas
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Check in was easy and all staff friendly and helpful. Our room was nice and clean. Ran downstairs to eat at the pub and my food was not good; in fact, one of the worst salads I've ever had. My husband's grits were fine. Service was sketchy. Only problem with hotel was the A/C at night went off and made the room too warm. When that happened, there was a pretty bad musty odor that made sleeping more difficult. They need to remedy this issue; otherwise, all was good.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dosmadre
Dear dosmadre,

I'm sorry to hear about some of the challenges that you experienced; however, I am happy that your overall experience was satisfactory. We look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Mobile, Alabama
Reviewed 31 August 2013

I made reservations at the Westin for a business meeting without any research. When I rounded the corner to the drive the positive experience started. The driveway was convenient, valets and front staff were very friendly and professional. Every aspect of the hotel was beautiful and well apportioned. My room was exceptional. The room had plenty of plugs and power ports for every device I had.

The most surprising part of the experience was the Todd English P.U.B.. The food, staff, atmosphere we all excellent. The surprising part was how affordable the food was. A full breakfast was under $10.00! For such a great hotel experience I expected to be taken to the cleaner. There is no reason to leave the hotel when doing business in Birmingham.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 August 2013

The Westin Birmingham is a beautiful new hotel with great guest rooms and decor throughout. Innovative design elements include a section of the lobby with long high tables with power ports designed for working collaboratively on laptops/tablets.

The attached Todd English P.U.B. was very good. The hotel is also near a new entertainment district offering a wide range of dining and entertainment options, and very convenient to the convention center. Fantastic, friendly young staff that you can tell truly care and want you to have a wonder stay. Great pool area with large pool deck.

The only negative I would offer is that the fitness center is tiny...just a handful of equipment and you'll probably find it all being used.

1 Thank Hollowsquare
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Dear hollowsquare,

Many thanks for your review and for choosing The Westin Birmingham for your stay. We love nothing more than to hear that your stay was relaxing and enjoyable. We are so pleased that you loved the decor and the Todd English P.U.B. We are excited to have you with us again the next time you're in Birmingham.