“Nice Improvement to Birmingham”

The Westin Birmingham
Ranked #15 of 79 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Annapolis, Maryland
“Nice Improvement to Birmingham”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The Westin is definitely a nice improvement to the downtown area of Birmingham. The staff here is wonderful, and I must mention by name Logan, the valet manager. He took great care of my parents and I during our recent stay. I look forward to when the entertainment district opens up, they are working on it now but it should be fantastic. In the meantime Todd English is an excellent start.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side face the highway, but there's no real noise issues.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Andy L,

On behalf of everyone at The Westin Birmingham, thank you for taking the time to write this review! We are proud to be your preferred destination in downtown Birmingham. Our mission is to exceed our guests’ expectations and we are thrilled you enjoyed your experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My son treated himself and I to a stay at this hotel after our college football game on Saturday night, Sept. 21, 2013. We had a beautiful room on the top floor of the hotel (9th), overlooking the city. Although the room was beautiful and comfortable, we encountered an unexpected unpleasant surprise when we arrived in our room. Problem was, the hotel had allowed a booking of a pool party (on the 2nd floor of the hotel), with a deejay playing loud rock music with a heavy beat, and this went on until past midnight. It was like we had a disco on the floor right under us. Our room vibrated terribly and the noise was louder in our room than our TV with the volume turned way up. There was definitely no way to sleep until that party was done. My son called the desk around 11 PM about the incredible noise, and was told there was an "event" someone had booked and it would be over within 30 minutes. It was not. At almost midnight, I called the desk again, and got no satisfaction from the conversation I had with the desk clerk. A little after midnight, while we were still discussing the matter on the phone, the desk clerk told me that the deejay had just called and said he was done. Compensation for our "inconvenience" was refused. I was told the manager (night manager on duty) "could not do that." Upon checkout the next morning, I discussed it with the front desk manager, and was told my son would be given some points on his Starwood Preferred membership for our "inconvenience." I do not believe the hotel should have booked, or allowed a party like this with a loud deejay, at a hotel in this manner. This showed no consideration whatsoever for room guests, and showed selfish greed on the front end of booking an event (loud party) rather than considering hotel guests. Our room was not even in the vicinity of the pool party, and the noise was incredible. I cannot imagine what it was like in rooms closer to the party. Hopefully the people staying in those rooms were all part of the party itself.

3 Thank Carole M
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

Visiting Birmingham for the first time, I chose the Westin because of the brand's reputation. This hotel did not disappoint. The staff were all very friendly and check-in was a breeze. I stayed in a very well appointed room that was clean and well maintained. The hotel is ideally situated in town and is across from the convention center.

The only reason I didn't give the hotel a "5" was the downstairs pub. It was so loud that I could hear the music and other noise coming from it in my room several floors up. When you check in, ask for a room away from the bar and you will be fine. I would return to the Westin, just on the other end of the hotel.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeffcat
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear jeffcat,

We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments - it’s always great to hear that our guests enjoy themselves during their travels. We recently have undergone an extensive renovation and we are glad to see that our efforts were worth it.

Allen Park, Michigan, United States
Reviewed 23 September 2013

After a week of attempts for prepayment for my reservation that I was gifting to my brother for his wedding night I had to call for a reciept - only to find that he was charged. Even after numerous calls - asking time, and time again to make sure he wasn't, and that my card was. I had to call 7 times to finally get an credit card authorization form, and had to fax it 4 times to 3 different fax numbers that their Sheraton/Westin associates had given. When I called the day of the reservation I was talked to as though I was a burden, and the young girl I spoke to on the morning of the 21st refused to help; stating that they couldn't do an advanced deposit for the room, and that they would have to wait until check in. Being a front desk employee of Starwood, and very knowledgeable when it comes to light speed I know that this is not true. Matter of fact, I could have walked her through it.

I cancelled at their sister property and moved my brothers reservation to this property in hopes of them being able to take care of things the Starwood way, but obviously I had been mistaken. Now, I have to transfer money from my own bank account to my brothers bank account due to their incompetence. What was supposed to be a great wedding gift to my only sibling has been nothing but a complete nightmare. I am both very disappointed, and disgusted with these teams.

3 Thank Ashley C
Dear Ashley C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent occurrence. We are extremely disappointed to read of the inconvenience that you experienced during your effort to provide your sibling with a gift. I can understand how disappointing and frustrating this must have been. Your review will give us an opportunity to make sure that the appropriate departments are aware of our company's processes and that information is clearly and accurately communicated to our guests so situations like this are prevented.

On behalf of The Westin Birmingham team, please accept our apologies for having missed the opportunity to impress you; however, we do hope to have another opportunity to welcoming you and your family back in the future.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 13 September 2013

My Wife and I drove over for a concert and were treated to a room here at the Westin. Located just south of Downtown, it is ideally placed close to some of the city's best Restaurants. Very clean and the staff are extremely nice! We did not try their Pub but we were told (and read on Yelp) that it is really solid. Totally would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
Dear Eurorunner,

Thank you for staying with us at The Westin Birmingham. We appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful comments about room and our professional and friendly staff. We are thrilled that you will be a returning guest, and we look forward to your next visit!
Be well
Brentwood, TN
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I was here for a single night for business. Parking was easy, check in was a breeze, the room brand new so spotless in all respects, and my run in the workout room was fine. The room service meal was better than expected and could not ask for better service. Was very convenient to downtown business center. Will stay again when I am in Birmingham. My only objection was that the shower (shower only, no tub) is one of those "half glass" arrangements you frequently see in western Europe. So that means that no matter how hard you try, water invariably gets in places you'd rather not have have it -- wall, floor, etc. I've always been curious why this is such a popular approach, and gaining ground in the US, and it just seems like it would create a maintenance issue more than anything for the hotel. So we'll see what it looks like in a year or so.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I stayed here at the referral of SPG Reservations after having described our lodging preferences. This is a new facility completed in early 2013 and is located around the corner from the Sheraton property downtown. Hotel & our room was spacious and contemporary. The staff onsite was friendly, knowledgable and very helpful. The Todd English P.U.B. was awesome. Great food, service and plenty of tv's for college football.

We would highly recommend and will stay here again in the future.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear mini6322,

Thank you for your 5-star rating! We appreciate you taking the time to post such positive comments. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, the amenities, and Todd English P.U.B. Thank you for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!