“Nice stay at the hotel on business trip”

The Westin Birmingham
Ranked #14 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Nice stay at the hotel on business trip”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Had an opportunity to stay here in October for three nights during the week.

I was really pleased with the hotel. Well done.

It was very clean. Check in was easy. Room was nice. Bed was comfortable and I didn't experience any issues with noise. The pub was nice and convenient.

I self parked in the garage. Once you figure out where to park it isn't too bad a walk to the hotel and room. Found all the staff to be friendly and responsive to anything needed.

Great stay. I would stay there again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: If you self park be sure to keep the ticket you draw from the machine each time you come and go. Whe...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Sk225,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We pride ourselves on our exceptionally high standard of service and our convenient location in downtown Birmingham. We appreciate your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the Magic City - Birmingham, Alabama!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in very good condition and the photos on the website are an accurate reflection of what you'll find when you visit.

The rooms are generous in size, the beds very comfortable and the staff are pleasant to deal with, though at times service was a little slow.

Like most hotels, the corridor acoustics aren't great, and therefore can be quite noisy when an event is held or the hotel is host to an out of town football team, as was the case during our stay.

The convenient location of the pub next door was a plus and the food provided as part of the room service menu was of good quality. Uptown Birmingham is still being developed, but appears that there will be more dining options located within close proximity to the hotel in the coming months.

All in all, a very pleasant stay!

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Kate E,

Thank you very much for sharing the things that made your trip to Birmingham exceptional, and for recognizing our associates. It is kind words like this that make our staff proud to provide memorable experiences time after time again. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again when your travel plans permit.

Warm Regards
new jersey
Reviewed 25 October 2013

It's always nice to stay in a brand new hotel, especially when it's a Westin. And this property in particular is the perfect size. While I'm sure they are eagerly seeking out convention business, the size of the hotel is by no means overwhelming.

Not being a big breakfast eater, nor usually having the time to sit down for breakfast my colleague and I were disappointed that there wasn't a kiosk or coffee bar where we could get some fresh fruit or breakfast pastries. There is a coffee house next door that's under construction, but in the meanwhile and since the hotel has been open for a full 8 months they should make accommodations for guests who don't want or have the time to sit down at the main restaurant, where only coffee was offered as a "grab and go."

The staff, including the valet, front desk and housekeeping were all very friendly and sincere.

One other issue I had, however, was with the alarm clock in the room. The clock was off by hours and despite trying to set it properly, none of the buttons would work. I set a wake up call instead and was asked if I'd like another a second call 15 minutes after the first. I said yes, but I never got a second call!

Lastly, the hotel has a very nice pool and outdoor deck area on the second floor. Too bad I only discovered it as I was checking out as it would have been a great place to sit and relax.

St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed at the Westin for a weekend while performing at the Southern Women's Show at the Convention Center. The front desk staff was friendly and attentive (check in was a breeze) and the hotel offers both valet and self-serve parking. It is best to do all of your unloading at the front because it is quite a trek from the parking garage to the hotel (which is not unusual for city hotels). The rooms were clean, stylish, and well-appointed - perfect for a relaxing night after a long day. The Westin is located next to the Convention Center and is close to everything downtown. I will definitely stay here the next time I am in Birmingham.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear Warren C,

From everyone here at The Westin Birmingham, thank you for taking the time to share your review! We pride ourselves on our friendly and helpful staff, and we strive to keep the highest possible levels of cleanliness. We're glad to hear we went above and beyond your expectations as it is our goal. We can’t wait to welcome you back to Birmingham, Alabama soon!

Warmest Regards
Hanover, New Hampshire
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I traveled to Birmingham on the Columbus Day weekend, arriving on Sunday night at the hotel. My business was going to be on Tuesday, so I took Monday (Columbus Day) as a personal day. In checking in to the hotel, my SPG status was recognized and I was given the type of room I had requested, on the floor and location I had requested. I also asked that, the next morning, if I could have a Westin workout kit delivered to my room, which was done promptly at 9 AM. The shirt, the shorts, the New Balance shoes, etc., were all in the right size and allowed me to have a great workout in the well-equipped fitness center that morning. Because it was mid-morning on a Monday, I had the center to myself, which suited me just fine. The New Balance shoes were so comfortable, I wore them for the rest of the day as I explored Birmingham a bit.

My room, on the seventh floor, was clean and spacious, as one expects from a Westin. I ordered room service breakfast for my first morning, and everything was delivered on time and was just what I ordered. The large flat screen TV had a great variety of channels available. The bathroom was very spacious and well-appointed with a great rain shower head.

I used valet parking for the two nights I was at the Westin Birmingham, and the valets were prompt in their service each time I needed the car. I would definitely return to the Westin Birmingham if my travels take me there again.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room on an upper floor, away from the elevators, and that's what I was given...
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The Westin is definitely a nice improvement to the downtown area of Birmingham. The staff here is wonderful, and I must mention by name Logan, the valet manager. He took great care of my parents and I during our recent stay. I look forward to when the entertainment district opens up, they are working on it now but it should be fantastic. In the meantime Todd English is an excellent start.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side face the highway, but there's no real noise issues.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Dear Andy L,

On behalf of everyone at The Westin Birmingham, thank you for taking the time to write this review! We are proud to be your preferred destination in downtown Birmingham. Our mission is to exceed our guests’ expectations and we are thrilled you enjoyed your experience.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My son treated himself and I to a stay at this hotel after our college football game on Saturday night, Sept. 21, 2013. We had a beautiful room on the top floor of the hotel (9th), overlooking the city. Although the room was beautiful and comfortable, we encountered an unexpected unpleasant surprise when we arrived in our room. Problem was, the hotel had allowed a booking of a pool party (on the 2nd floor of the hotel), with a deejay playing loud rock music with a heavy beat, and this went on until past midnight. It was like we had a disco on the floor right under us. Our room vibrated terribly and the noise was louder in our room than our TV with the volume turned way up. There was definitely no way to sleep until that party was done. My son called the desk around 11 PM about the incredible noise, and was told there was an "event" someone had booked and it would be over within 30 minutes. It was not. At almost midnight, I called the desk again, and got no satisfaction from the conversation I had with the desk clerk. A little after midnight, while we were still discussing the matter on the phone, the desk clerk told me that the deejay had just called and said he was done. Compensation for our "inconvenience" was refused. I was told the manager (night manager on duty) "could not do that." Upon checkout the next morning, I discussed it with the front desk manager, and was told my son would be given some points on his Starwood Preferred membership for our "inconvenience." I do not believe the hotel should have booked, or allowed a party like this with a loud deejay, at a hotel in this manner. This showed no consideration whatsoever for room guests, and showed selfish greed on the front end of booking an event (loud party) rather than considering hotel guests. Our room was not even in the vicinity of the pool party, and the noise was incredible. I cannot imagine what it was like in rooms closer to the party. Hopefully the people staying in those rooms were all part of the party itself.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Carole M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Birmingham
Redmont Hotel Birmingham, Curio Collection by Hilton
Grand Bohemian Hotel Mountain Brook, Autograph Collection
Birmingham Marriott
Birmingham Marriott
#26 of 80 in Birmingham

Been to The Westin Birmingham? Share your experiences!