“Could have been better” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Rather be in WDW
“Could have been better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

Waited over 30 minutes in line to check-in, all kinds of confusion over a ticket I was supposed to get for breakfast - didn't get one, went to the desk "they were delivered to your room," nothing in the room, call, on hold for 10 minutes, "can we call you back after we look into it?" No - it's 11 pm and I'm going to sleep, forget it and what magically appears under my door in the morning?

After breakfast I ask for a copy of my receipt and specifically state, "I'm not checking out" - back to my room and the key doesn't work. Back to the front desk.

Facility is gorgeous, lived the room. Had hoped to get some work done - but I was surprised to learn they charge for wi-fi - so decided it could wait. Who still charges for wi-fi? Especially at those room rates, valet, and parking charges.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear jrbdad,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I am sorry to hear about some of the challenges you encountered during your stay. However, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed our facilities. The information you've provided will aid us in making needed changes and improvements.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Fleming Island, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

On our way from Arkansas to Florida, we stopped for the night in Birmingham. To find out this top-rated hotel cost the same as lesser brand hotels, didn't charge for my dog, and provided my dog with his own Heavenly dog bed could not be passed up. From the moment we pulled into valet to the time we left, they were so accommodating. PUB in the hotel was good but very pricey. I can't thank this Westin establishment enough for their hospitality, comfortable room, amazing shower, and smiles.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank casmith_93035
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Top 1000 contributor

Month of Arrival:November 2013

How could one describe the pleasure of the hospitality provided by the new Westin Birmingham Hotel--it was SUPERB at every level. "Vanessa" at check in should win a Freddie/Academy Award for courtesy and enthusiasm, joined by William at the front desk and Pam (Concierge). The Todd's English P.U.B. staff were equally courteous with special mention for "Theo," Deborah and Chelsey. The Southern charm and hospitality could not have been better ! ! !

Room Tip: The 'East' side has a good view of downtown (and the Interstate Highway interchange) but tha...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Had a quick stay at the Westin Birmingham last week and wish I could have been there longer. The property looks brand new and the service was exceptional. They have an airport shuttle that was fast and efficient. The onsite restaurant, Todd English Pub had great food and a large beer selection. The prices were great and they have a 3-6p happy hour with half off brews.

Room Tip: Bedding was stiff and starchy. Most likely due to the fact that the property is new.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I recently stayed at the new Westin Birmingham. What a surprise to find such a modern hotel in the south. As you arrive the front desk greets you with a smile. From the beautiful lobby, to the Todd English pub they stopped at nothing to make this a great escape from the work day. One exceptional interaction would be with the person who brought my room service order up. After a long day and not wanting to go to the pub I decided to order room service. The menu has a very nice selection. There was a slight delay in the time it took for my order to arrive, although once it did I was pleasantly suprised. I guess it was all hands on deck that evening because a gentleman with a security name tag came to deliver my order. Griff was more than just a security guard, he must have been trained in every part of the hotel as he was on point to come and set up my order in my room. Going above and beyond what I was expecting and even offering to fill my Ice bucket up before departing. These small touches and personal interaction are the heart of a successful hotel. It's not everyday you come across such wonderful service in the most unexpected way.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Rocklin, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

My wife and I have visited Birmingham several times in the past. As always we looked for good value in our hotel choice. Now that the Westin has opened, we will look no further.
Excellent property, location and the attached Todd English pub was great! The Westin heavenly bed is the best in the industry. The front desk team was very accommodating, friendly and knowledgeable.
If I had any issue, it would be wait time for breakfast. Though it was great food!
Perfect for business or family!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

Came here with the family for one night after staying in another hotel that was horrendous. The accommodations could not have been nicer, cleaner, and more comfortable. And the staff was perfection! Whenever we come to the Birmingham/Tuscaloosa area again will not stay any place else.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear CLNR,

On behalf of all of us at The Westin Birmingham, we thank you for taking the time to write a review! We feel so special to be one of your favorite hotels. We pride ourselves on our friendly and helpful staff, and strive to keep the highest possible levels of cleanliness.

I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay. And we can’t wait to welcome you and your family back to The Westin Birmingham.