“Excellent hotel in Birmingham”

The Westin Birmingham
Ranked #24 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I recently stayed one night at The Westin Birmingham. It is a lovely hotel. Room was very clean and beds slept great. Front desk staff was exceptionally friendly. We had a late arrival and they were so helpful once we got there. It is also easy to find and in a great location near the civic center and not too far from the airport. Highly recommend this hotel when visiting Birmingham.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LyaChow

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Nice stay, big clean rooms. I had two rooms here for 2 nights. One thing that threw us was the minibar -- it was empty. So I called up to tell them to come fill it and the person on the phone was confused that I was confused about it being empty. It dawned on me later -- the minibar at this place is different than the other Westin I had just stayed at in Memphis -- it is more like room service where you call down, say you want a soda and then they bring the item up to you. Weird. I guess they have been having trouble with minibar management or something.

Also I called down to have dessert one night which was clearly listed as vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips in the room service menu, but the person I talked to didn't know what I was talking about, which was also weird. Ended up with plain vanilla since she couldn't find on the menu where it said "vanilla ice cream with chocolate chips". They should have the same menu & descriptions in front of them that I am looking at.

But other than those minor misunderstandings I enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LostChi
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Pleasantly surprised by my stay at the Westin Birmingham. Great amenities and I can frankly state that I have never met nicer people. Everyone I encountered was so incredibly nice and helpful. Loved my stay even though I was there for business. Will definintely be back and would recommend to anyone visiting Birmingham.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Willipa
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Thank you Westin for a wonderful experience in Birmingham! I stayed one night in Birmingham Alabama after my cousins wedding. I called a couple of times to make sure I would be in a nice room so my elderly mother would have what she needed. Being lifetime Platinum, I expected a nice welcome but had no idea they were going to give me the Penthouse Suite! It was an apartment and had 2 bedrooms that were as nice as they come. Modern in style, wonderful fresh robes all over the rooms, nice products, wonderful wonderful heavenly bed, great lighting and most of all, PERFECT service! We loved our stay from the beginning to the end. I've stayed in many hotels and this one is right up there with the best of them. (including, St. Regis in Rome, New York, Atlanta, Miami) They honored our 4:00 check out and gave us the best service ever! Thank you Westin!!!!!!!

Room Tip: There was nothing I can say to get a good room because we got the best room ever without asking.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed 12/21 for 2 nights. Parking in garage was $12. The hotel was DEAD. Todd English's was DEAD. The hotel was nice and new. The staff friendly. We did not eat at hotel or use any facilities. Sure I would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank yankee-peddler
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Gorgeous, clean and everything you would expect from the Westin. From the check-in to the room service, the staff couldn’t have been any better. It is located across the street from the BJCC and there is a skywalk to get there. We never even had to get out in the nasty weather to go see the concert at the BJCC. Excellent location. Beautiful hotel.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I showed up just before midnight last night and found not a single employee in the lobby. One finally helped me and as she checked me, she realized that the key card machine for the hotel rooms was no longer working. 45 minutes later, I finally was up in my room, without a room key. one had to be slipped under my door later in the night. The only thing that the hotel offered me was additional starwood points. I travel weekly for work and would never stay in a Starwood hotel for any other reason. Though I don't fault the employees who were gracious and helpful, I don't understand how the hotel functions this way.

In addition, their "Early Grind Coffee" shop advertised in their elevator and lobby turned out to be two carafes that are put at the front desk each morning. I left my hotel at 7am and the coffee was empty. It seems that better organization and checking of what is going on in the hotel needs to happen at this hotel asap.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Mark N, General Manager at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear lge091,

Thank you for posting your feedback from your visit with us. The room service troubles you encountered during your stay are not typical of the service we offer. We apologize for the challenges you faced, and your matter will be look into with Hotel Leadership Staff.

Regards