“Beautiful Hotel”

The Westin Birmingham
Ranked #21 of 80 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The Westin is the newest luxury hotel in Birmingham. My wife and I stayed at the Westin for a weekend. We had tickets to an event at the Birmingham-Jefferson Civic Center across the street from the hotel. Every person on staff that we met displayed terrific customer service and friendliness. Check-in was speedy. We used valet parking ($22). (The hotel does have a self-parking lot behind the hotel.) The Westin is a beautiful, classy hotel. Our room was very nice. Equipped with anything we needed (including flat-screen TV and Starbucks coffee). The bed and pillows were superb. We did not eat at the hotel's restaurant (actually its a combination restaurant/bar.) We did have room service breakfast delivered to our room one morning---outstanding and delicious. If you are attending an event at the BJCC you will find the Westin to be located well.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Dear Alabama Travelers,

Thank you for choosing the Westin Birmingham for your accommodation and for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your kind ratings and do hope you come back soon for another "heavenly stay."

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We were in Birmingham to visit me daughter at college - the Westin is modern, nice rooms, excellent shower, very good bed - and a nice pub/restaurant attached to the hotel. Work out room was very good. The hotel is very well located, can get anywhere you need to in B'ham in minutes. Only issue was parking - very awkward parking lot, hard to get around and added time to getting around.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear mgrindell,

Thank you for taking the time to write a kind review about your recent stay with us. Our Heavenly Shower and Bed allows for a serene ending to a busy day of travel! I truly appreciate your review, and we look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back if and when your travels find you in Birmingham!

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Came for a weekend getaway with spouse. Really enjoyed our stay. Spacious, clean, nicely furnished rooms, convenient to downtown area. Staff was very attentive, polite, and courtious. Highly recommended. Will definitely visit again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
sheswithstarwood, Marketing Coordinator at The Westin Birmingham, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear alishaslp,

I'm happy you enjoyed your time with us at The Westin Birmingham. I appreciate your kind comments about our property and staff . We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Hotel is very new. Rooms are well appointed. Staff is super helpful. I was there for business. Fitness room has several treadmills, bike, and elliptical. There is a multi-weight machine, two benches, a rack of free weights, floor mats, yoga mats, resistance bands, and a few jump ropes! Nice job! Having the Todd English P.U.B. in the hotel is fantastic since there isn't much in downtown Birmingham. The Brazilian steakhouse opens soon too. The Octane coffee bar is attached to the hotel. Great coffee. All in all, a great value.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear TravelingAdvocat,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Tripadvisor. We loved reading about your positive experience and your local area tips are great. Thank you for mentioning our on site restaurant Todd English P.U.B and Octane Coffee Bar. I'm also happy to hear that you had a chance to check out the Westin Workout Fitness Studio. We hope to be able to serve you again soon.

Reviewed 28 February 2014

We travel a lot and this Weston exceeds any expectations we had for a really quality, well managed, immaculate hotel. From check in to check out, everything was top notch. We had wonderful service at check in, met the best, friendliest bar tender who could make any drink special and worked with the best concierge we have ever experience. Our king room was well appointed and very, very comfortable.

Just a great hotel

Room Tip: Great layout of rooms
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2014

On January 28 2014, the city of Birmingham was slammed with an uprecedented winter storm that rocked the entire Southeast. The entire city shutdown and panic ensued as residents were trapped in cars due to weather and highway gridlock. Unfortunately, many people were unable to secure safe and warm shelter forcing them to sleep in cars or walks miles in the storm to reach home.

All my business meetings were cancelled and I, too, was trapped in Birmingham. Luckily, I was booked at the Westin Birmingham and learned what "going above and beyond" truly meant in hotel hospitality. Not once during the city's shutdown did I experience any discomfort or interruption in hotel service. The entire hotel staff converged to ensure we were all safe, comfortable and well cared for during this crisis. Under the leadership of hotel manager, Caesar Serna, hotel guests ate and slept well even though the hotel staff worked 24 / 7 with no sleep and unable to return home to their own families.

And every single person on staff from Mr. Serna to Micheal Andrews, Karisham Mahtani, Gabrielle Jenkins, Ugene Sanders and so many more staff whose names I regrettably did not obtain, provided exceptional customer service with a BIG smile and an even bigger upbeat spirit. One would have never guessed the hotel staff were tired or upset despite the panic sweeping the entire city. And the comraderie of the staff who supported one another was a testament to the hotel's excellent management. I witnessed and experienced valet and Executive staff serving food to guests at the hotel restaurant - all with a smile and not ONE complaint about their own situation.

As a result, I experienced a 3 day break from work where I relaxed, slept and ate. I cannot thank the Westin Birmingham staff and their managment enough for turning a winter tragedy for the city into one of the warmest hospitality experiences I've ever had. Even my boss who is a Hilton Honors devotee remarked that he might change loyalties after experiencing the Westin Birmingham!

I'll never stay anywhere else when I'm in Birmingham. Thank you so much Mr. Serna and team!

Lien Bragg

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Lien B
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I can't say enough wonderful stuff about this hotel! I was pleasantly surprised by it when I arrived. It is newer and the rooms are great! They have some extra room in them as the mirror in the bathroom is the best if your a woman! (Can I say GREAT lighting!!)
I also want to make sure and mention that the staff here is the best I have ever experienced! They all have smiles, are pleasant, as well as very helpful!
I actually had a situation were my suitcase did not make it into my car before I pulled away from the hotel and I had to go to the client first and then was going to the airport. I called and told them I did not have it and they were so responsive! The assistant manager even called me and asked were I was and that they would bring me my suitcase to me that there was no reason to come back to the hotel! Most places would have told me thy had it and I could come get it when I could! not here!
I just can't say enough about the staff!!
There is a Pub in the bottom of the Westin and it has good food but it is LOUD. *hint* If you go over by the lobby bar, ask for the food menu and it is the Pubs menu. Order from there and you can eat at the lobby bar or there are some chair/table groupings there and you can eat there with friends/co-workers and you will actually be able to hear each other!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business