“Consistantly Outstanding !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bistro 218

Bistro 218
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro 218 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 939 Restaurants in Birmingham
Price range: US$16 - US$42
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Welcome to Bistro 218 Nestled in the heart of Downtown Birmingham’s Financial and Theater District, Bistro 218 features side by side dining concepts. Guests can enjoy a glass of wine or craft cocktail in our upscale casual bar room and indulge in a full bar menu under or proceed through the French doors into the main dining room and take pleasure in French classics paired with seasonally procured wines and local craft beers. Reservations are available in either room. Ever changing menus are seasonal, with Gulf Coast influences and feature local foragers and farms supplying the best Alabama has to offer. Bistro 218 honors the traditions of French bistros with minimalist decor in a historical setting. Dark Brazilian mahogany, high ceilings and exposed brick adorned with local art emanate a comforting yet elegant atmosphere that is perfect for a romantic dinner, a pre-theater meal or a relaxing night out. Bistro 218 brings French cuisine to every palette. Enjoy your bistro favorites-from quiche to duck confit. We invite all of our neighborhood friends to join us for a high quality dining experience in a relaxed atmosphere where our standards in service and food are testaments to the history of Birmingham dining.
“Consistantly Outstanding !!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

Since our initial visit at the end of a "snow storm" in Birmingham, we have had the opportunity to visit Bistro 218 two more times, including a visit with friends on a Saturday night. The décor, the music, the fantastic & friendly service, and, most important, the food continues to amaze. On this most recent visit I started with the West Indies Salad, with fresh picked blue crab meat (NO fake or "old" crab meat here!),... fantastic. Other dishes included the house cured pork belly (best I have ever had), fried green tomatoes with shrimp and crawfish (sublime), and again, the fantastic gumbo.

• Visited March 2014

“Lovely Bistro downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

This is a wonderful addition to the downtown dining experience.
Small, intimate, sophisticated, yet friendly; with great food and service.

Visited February 2014
Birmingham, Alabama
“Outstanding Food in a Friendly Oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

After a recently snow "storm" shut down Birmingham for 2 days, we happened upon Bistro 218 in downtown Birmingham. Tom Saab, the chef and proprietor is establishing himself as one of the outstanding young chefs in our city. We started with a wonderful "BLT" salad with homemade buttermilk dressing and a great creole style shrimp and Andouille sausage gumbo (okra and tomato with not too much Andouille cut into small chunks to avoid overpowering the dish, as is often done). My wife's free range chicken palliards (pounded breast) on rice with butter caper sauce, was great... flavorful & not too salty (we are both Cajuns, but have cut down on excessive salt). My wonderfully and fresh tasting flounder with crabmeat and white wine butter sauce. For dessert, the crème brulee was a very good ending to a great meal. We will certainly be back!

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank UncleBob
“Yummy crepes!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

I stopped here for a weekday lunch. The atmosphere is quite nice; it was French but with a locals see and be seen sort of vibe. Since I was dining solo, the hostess was nice enough to put me at table, where I with a view. The only negative was that my table backed up to what I believe was the heating/cooling system, so some noise at times. The server was helpful and attentive. I ordered the crawfish and leek crepes -- they were wonderful! For those of you who think crepes can only be sweet, you need to try these savory ones! I had the molten chocolate cake for dessert, which was good, but had some unusual spice in it that I wasn't sure I loved -- cardamom maybe? I would recommend this restaurant because it felt like a little vacation during a tough work week.

• Visited December 2013
Birmingham -Alabama
“One of the better properties in Downtown Birmingham”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I ate at this property for lunch today, as a scouting trip for my church group. I had: 1) a cup of the Gumbo ($6.00 for cup; $12.00 for a bowl); 2) Malbec (pinot - $9.00 per glass); 3) Brocard ($8.00 - Chardonnay); 4) Red Snapper as 1 of the 3 the entrée specials of the day ($21.00); 5) chocolate molten cake (highly recommended by the waiter - Roger); with Masianco as the dessert wine. I recommend all of the wines, and highly recommend the Red Snapper. I made reservations for my church group for next week.

• Visited January 2014